Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My dad took me to my first Spurs game in 1958 when I was 7 years old.

It was the start of what was to be a sometimes painful journey of following the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

My first painful experience occurred a few years later during the summer holidays.

Me and 3 other boys from The Hood were bored.Some bright spark came up with the idea of going to the Spurs training ground at Cheshunt ,watch the team train and collect a few autographs.

Sounded like a good plan so the next day 4 of us set off for sunny Cheshunt.

3 of us wearing shorts and 1 wearing long trousers.

Wr decided that the best method of approach was probably to sneak in at the back of the ground.

Less chance of us being spotted and thrown out.

Started making our way through the undergrowth heading towards the players we could see in the distance.

It took us a while to work out that we were walking through a patch of stinging nettles.
Not something you should be doing wearing short trousers.
To add insult to injury we realized that the first tram were not training that day.

I went to games with my dad until I started secondary school,when I started going with my school mates.
As close to the half way line below the shelf was our preferred spot.Getting into the ground by 1:30 normally achieved the objective.

Matches from that long ago do tend to merge in your mind unless there is something notable about them.

Tottenham v Aston Villa in March 1966 was one such game. Tottenham played superbly during the first half of that game and after the first few minutes of the second half were leading by 5 goals to 1.
It finished up 5=5 with us hanging on at the end. Great entertainment but we were lucky not to lose.

During the following season I started going to away matches outside of London.
Highlight for me was April 1967 FA cup semi final v Nottimgham Forest at Hillsborough.
We won 2-1 Frank Saul scoring one of the goals as he did in the final against the chavs.

Frank Saul was almost the forgotten man of that decade.
He made his debut during the double winning season playing 6 games and scoring 3 goals.
He was only 17 years old when he made his debut.
Sadly he never really fulfilled his early potential.

His reward for scoring two vital goals that helped us win the cup was to be transferred to Southampton as part of the deal that brought Martin Chivers to Tottenham.

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All thing wise and wonderful
He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

Drawn away to Man U in the cup

Chivers scored twice in 2-2 draw.
Replay tickets on sale Monday at 10am.

Monday morning came,went to school got my mark in the register left by the back door to go to join the queue for replay tickets.

Felt a tap on my shoulder turned around and found myself looking into the face of my deputy headmaster.He was not a happy man

Dragged me out of the queue.marched me back to school whilst giving me a lecture on how disappointed he was with me.Thought I might get away with a couple of detentions.No chance.Out came the cane.

Once again I suffered pain for my support of the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

Two games in 1969 stand out in my memory.Only one of which involved us.

15th March 1969 WoolwichvSwindon league cup final

Myself and two of my Park Lane mates were there for extra time when Don Rogers took Woolwich apart on the mud heap that passed fora football pitch.

It was really hard not to cheer or laugh when the 3rd goal went in.
The misery surrounding us was incredible.
Grown men crying because they felt so humiliated.
It was truly magical.

Finally September 1969 away to Derby County\

We were shite deservedly hammered 5-0

Me and my mates just wanted to get back to London as quickly as possible.

A view not shared by lots of our fellow supporters.

I think we were about 20minutes out of Derby when we realized this train was not going to make it to London.

The train or what was left of the train limped in to Flitwick station where it came to a halt.

Probably waiting for the arrival of the PC Plodd and his merry men

The rest you probably know a few hundred of the train wreckers decided to go and see what damage they could do to a small Bedfordshire Town while the rest of us crossed the tracks and got a train to London.

Not Park Lames finest hour

Jimmy Greaves finest finisher I ever saw,Dave Mackay and Mike England two of the hardest men to have worn our shirt John White one of the most skillful Not forgetting the wonderful Cliff Jones.

Happy days

It was the start of what was to be a sometimes painful journey of following the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

My first painful experience occurred a few years later during the summer holidays.

Me and 3 other boys from The Hood were bored.Some bright spark came up with the idea of going to the Spurs training ground at Cheshunt ,watch the team train and collect a few autographs.

Wr decided that the best method of approach was probably to sneak in at the back of the ground.

Started making our way through the undergrowth heading towards the players we could see in the distance.

It took us a while to work out that we were walking through a patch of stinging nettles.
To add insult to injury we realized that the first tram were not training that day.

I went to games with my dad until I started secondary school,when I started going with my school mates.
As close to the half way line below the shelf was our preferred spot.Getting into the ground by 1:30 normally achieved the objective.

Matches from that long ago do tend to merge in your mind unless there is something notable about them.

Tottenham v Aston Villa in March 1966 was one such game. Tottenham played superbly during the first half of that game and after the first few minutes of the second half were leading by 5 goals to 1.
It finished up 5=5 with us hanging on at the end. Great entertainment but we were lucky not to lose.

Highlight for me was April 1967 FA cup semi final v Nottimgham Forest at Hillsborough.
We won 2-1 Frank Saul scoring one of the goals as he did in the final against the chavs.

He made his debut during the double winning season playing 6 games and scoring 3 goals.

His reward for scoring two vital goals that helped us win the cup was to be transferred to Southampton as part of the deal that brought Martin Chivers to Tottenham.

He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

Monday morning came,went to school got my mark in the register left by the back door to go to join the queue for replay tickets.

Felt a tap on my shoulder turned around and found myself looking into the face of my deputy headmaster.He was not a happy man

Dragged me out of the queue.marched me back to school whilst giving me a lecture on how disappointed he was with me.Thought I might get away with a couple of detentions.No chance.Out came the cane.

Myself and two of my Park Lane mates were there for extra time when Don Rogers took Woolwich apart on the mud heap that passed fora football pitch.

It was truly magical.

I think we were about 20minutes out of Derby when we realized this train was not going to make it to London.

The train or what was left of the train limped in to Flitwick station where it came to a halt.

The rest you probably know a few hundred of the train wreckers decided to go and see what damage they could do to a small Bedfordshire Town while the rest of us crossed the tracks and got a train to London.

Jimmy Greaves finest finisher I ever saw,Dave Mackay and Mike England two of the hardest men to have worn our shirt John White one of the most skillful Not forgetting the wonderful Cliff Jones.

Happy days
"Like" is not good enough for that story. Thanks - excellent read.

He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

It was truly magical.

Happy days

Great post
For anyone that has Amazon Prime, just to let you know that 'Those Glory Glory Days' is now included to watch as part of your subscription.

Thanks for the tip. I had heard of it but never actually seen it, so watched it with my kids last night. Some very funny lines, especially about Woolwich.

He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

It was truly magical.

Happy days

I remember the papers reporting the transfers of Martin Harcourt Chivers, and Frank Landon Saul. Well posh . Great read, mate. :adethumbup:

He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

It was truly magical.

Happy days

I want more of those stories mate. Brilliant stuff.

I couldn't imagine going to woolwich one week and THFC the next to be honest although i know it happened. The combinaiton games at Tottenham were more for me watching Ray Bunkell, John Cutbush, Tony Want, Phil Holder amongst others who didn't quite make it at Spurs. I knew every fact about our players in those days and would devour anything related to Tottenham. Now i just want us to win and couldn't tell you much about our modern team.
Used to go to lots of those games in the early 70's. Sometimes used to sit on top of the wooden steps right behind the goal. As there were only a few thousand people at Combination matches, we used to love it when the ball landed on the terraces and you had the chance to kick it back. Hurt your bloody foot though! And of course you had the old bloke giving you the 15 minute updates on how the first team were doing. There was always that anticipation when he went to the box to change the score. Would it be a goal to us - or to the home team?!!! If it was us who had scored, the tannoy would say; "and the scorer was Chivers"
Remember Ray Clarke - think he forged a career in Belgium. Also thought that Roy Woolcott might have made the grade.
Always used to buy a programme for reserve games. High quality paper too. Still recollect the sellers in the white coats outside the ground.
Useless stat: John Cutbush was the first Maltese player to play in an FA Cup final.

My dad has a very minor claim to fame in that he used to be Bill Nicholson’s paperboy, when he in lived in Tottenham. Goalkeeper Ted Ditchburn lived next door I’m told.

Some time before my gran was one day scrubbing her front doorstep in Hampden Road when Bill stopped and asked her if she knew anyone who had a room for rent, as he was looking for digs. No mansions in the suburbs for footballers in those days.
Couple of stories about Sir Bill;

In the early 70's, a mate and I decided to knock on Sir Bill's door, not knowing what we were going to say to the great man! Anyway he answers the door and asks us what he want. We said we don't really know and that we just wanted to say hello. With that, he pops back inside and give us each a complementary team sheet/photo of the 1972 UEFA cup winning team, and sends us on our way.

I used to go to Tottenham County (Selby Road site). We had a practice game after school one day on the playing fields next to Weir Hall Road, but I had to watch from the side as I was injured. After a while I noticed a chap coming towards me, and was amazed to see that it was Sir Bill. He asked me if I could give him a run down on the players taking part. Absolute gentleman he was.

s-l225.jpg

After Googling,its the one at the top. Mick Stead? Help an old boy out someone.
His brother was on our books for a while too.

First game for me was Oct 1968 v Leicester City. Jimmy Greaves got a hat trick in a 3.2 win. My mates dad took us and we sat in the Paxton. I was 11.
Feel privileged to have seen some of the real heroes of the club
We then started going on our own and went in the Park Lane doing a few aways as well. Our home routine was to meet at my house in Edmonton, walk to Tottenham, have a fry up in a café near WHL station and then go into the Supporters Club (god bless you Mary). Have a pint and book train tickets for the next away game.
Did pretty much all of the 70's but dropped off mid 80's as got married etc etc
Without doubt the best season was in division 2, discovering new grounds (Mansfield stands out). It was different days then, 3.00pm kick offs every Saturday, terraces everywhere, football specials. But then SKY and the PL came along and royally fucked it all up
Great memories of a special time.
Could be wrong - but one of Jimmy's greatest goals for us was in the aforementioned Leicester game.

Mick and Kevin Stead - remember them well. Both made the first team.
Talking of brothers - we had a small centre half called Andy Keeley - think he played against Brum at home in '76, the midweek after the Derby fiasco. His brother Glenn ( a lot taller) played centre half against us for Newcastle in the League Cup semi, the season before.

Back
Top Bottom