What the hell is going on behind the scenes in regards to contracts and our players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder if Moura signing a contract extension has upset Jan? That's just speculation on my part but it got me thiking maybe Jan wants one big last contract with us (and rightfully so, he has earned it) and Levy has undervalued him and his loyalty so Jan has played up in training or not bothered to turn up maybe? Because Jan seemed well up for this season and also has been talking about how much he wants to stay here.

Even if it has nothing to do with other players signing contracts something clearly isn't right imo.

You can add him to a list of players now that we seem to be having issues regards to contracts.

Alderweireld
Eriksen
Vertonghen

We are in big danger of losing the core of our team, both Jan and Toby still have plenty of good years left in them and Eriksen proved today how important he is to us, hell, I would even say Rose did as well considering how good he was.

Last edited:
I wonder if Moura signing a contract extension has upset Jan? Maybe Jan wants one big last contract with us (and rightfully so, he has earned it) and Levy has undervalued him and his loyalty so Jan has played up in training or not bothered to turn up maybe? Because Jan seemed well up for this season and also has been talking about how much he wants to stay here.

You can add him to a list of players now that we seem to be having issues regards to contracts.

Alderweireld
Eriksen
Vertonghen

We are in big danger of losing the core of our team, both Jan and Toby still have plenty of good years left in them and Eriksen proved today how important he is to us, hell, I would even say Rose did as well considering how good he was.
Instead of crying wolf and bringing the house down it may not be all doom and gloom at all. Super Jan may just have been rested and still negotiating his contract!

Fucking 90 minutes into the season and you've started a thread melting over Jan leaving the club without a shred of evidence that it is true.

What the hell is going on behind the scenes with you, is more like it.

The title of your thread is also the answer to the question.......if things are going on 'behind the scenes' how the fuck are we to know what they are ? :thumbdown:
Moura has upset Jan ??...oh dear, where did you come up with that one ?

Fucking 90 minutes into the season and you've started a thread melting over Jan leaving the club without a shred of evidence that it is true.

There's that word again, "melting" a lovely word that all the deflectors use when they don't have a reasonable argument.

Yes, I am guessing at what might be going on but it doesn't take a fucking genius to understand there are clearly issues.

When I talk about people having their heads in the sand, this is what I am referring to.

We were a shambles today defensively, forgive me for having concerns about one of our best defenders being dropped for no apparent reason whatsoever and our manager telling the press it's because he believed it was the best decision tactically.

Vertonghen has been one of our most consistent performers at the club, he loves it here and he wants to stay, I don't want to lose him and it's obvious that the only reason we would is if something is happening behind the scenes considering it was only last week he said he wants to remain at the club because he loves it here.

But by all means, keep believing everything is rosy and all is well while two of our best players are running down their contracts and now one of our other best players has been completely omitted from the match day squad with absolutely no good reason.

The title of your thread is also the answer to the question.......if things are going on 'behind the scenes' how the fuck are we to know what they are ? :thumbdown:
Moura has upset Jan ??...oh dear, where did you come up with that one ?

I am speculating but it's clear that Jan is looking for a new contract with us, a final big contract that rewards his loyalty and performances for the club, it might have nothing whatsoever to do with Moura signing a new contract, that was just my opinion, but maybe Jan feels it's unfair he isn't getting what he deserves whilst other players are getting new contracts?

Again, just speculation on my part but regardless of that, it's pretty obvious something is going on considering we have two of our best players already running down contracts and a third that has just randomly been omitted from the match day squad for no apparent reason.

There's that word again, "melting" a lovely word that all the deflectors use when they don't have a reasonable argument.

Yes, I am guessing at what might be going on but it doesn't take a fucking genius to understand there are clearly issues.

When I talk about people having their heads in the sand, this is what I am referring to.

We were a shambles today defensively, forgive me for having concerns about one of our best defenders being dropped for no apparent reason whatsoever and our manager telling the press it's because he believed it was the best decision tactically.

Vertonghen has been one of our most consistent performers at the club, he loves it here and he wants to stay, I don't want to lose him and it's obvious that the only reason we would is if something is happening behind the scenes considering it was only last week he said he wants to remain at the club because he loves it here.

But by all means, keep believing everything is rosy and all is well while two of our best players are running down their contracts and now one of our other best players has been completely omitted from the match day squad with absolutely no good reason.
It's a single match, the point is you're freaking out with no real impetus.

For years we've decried a lack of depth in the squad. Well, having depth means that some players always get left out. Poch said as much regarding Jan not being included. You've invented a contract dispute out of thin air. You're melting.

Jan is 32 years old. Maybe Poch sees a physical decline, maybe he is not training with the right intensity, maybe he thinks it’s time to stop making him an automatic starter and challenge him to fend off the younger players in the squad. Like Poch said, it’s a technical decision. It’s up to Jan to earn the start.

It's a single match, the point is you're freaking out with no real impetus.

For years we've decried a lack of depth in the squad. Well, having depth means that some players always get left out. Poch said as much regarding Jan not being included. You've invented a contract dispute out of thin air. You're melting.

There is absolutely no way he has dropped Vertonghen for depth purposes, has he ever done that before? Especially considering he has been playing verts all preseason.

It's as obvious as a slap in the face that something is going on, he didn't even make the bench and if you watch Poch after the match during his interview it's even more obvious.

You say I am freaking out for no reason but we already have two players running down their contracts, that's my reason for having concerns about Jan, he has said he wants to sign a new contract and now he's suddenly dropped for "depth reasons" after playing the entire preseason and being excited to start the season with us?

Yeah, not buying it.

Or maybe he wasn't performing to the standards during training?

If anything, I hope the fact he was dropped from the squad entirely makes him get back to his best. Looked his age at the back end of last season.

Plenty evidence, mate. Did you see him in the stand? Can you account for the inconsistency of his pre season statements and his sudden exclusion?

Plenty evidence, mate. Did you see him in the stand? Can you account for the inconsistency of his pre season statements and his sudden exclusion?
People will deny it against all likelihood for as long as possible because they want it to be true.

If anyone with a brain reads Poch's statements along with Kilpatrick's tweets and our BY FAR BEST defender's sudden exclusion, not only from the first xi, but the squad entirely, they will rightly come to the conclusion that there's something not quite right.

It doesn't mean Jan will 100% leave, but it's not a good sign.

I think we should all assume the most dramatic situation, and inevitably turn it into Levy's fault for not throwing cash at him like some kind of stripper.

I wonder if Moura signing a contract extension has upset Jan? That's just speculation on my part but it got me thiking maybe Jan wants one big last contract with us (and rightfully so, he has earned it) and Levy has undervalued him and his loyalty so Jan has played up in training or not bothered to turn up maybe? Because Jan seemed well up for this season and also has been talking about how much he wants to stay here.

Even if it has nothing to do with other players signing contracts something clearly isn't right imo.

Alderweireld
Eriksen
Vertonghen

I think you should ring your theory in to Talksport - you’ll fit right in.

From Poch

"This is my sixth season, I think everyone knows me. I am going to play the players who I believe deserve to play"

"We have more than 25 players and everyone needs to understand we have plenty of good players in every position."

Back
Top Bottom