Proposed new CL format

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's face it this is purely for the teams outside of the EPL who can't compete with their financial muscle, the likes of Roma, Inter and AC who have fallen out of their regular CL spots lately and Bayern who can see the writing on the wall for them too.

Ridiculous thing is that what (has eventually) made the PL have an advantage of the other leagues is that they prize money is more evenly distributed amongst the clubs, which in turn leads to a better competition.

The long term solution for the other leagues should be to follow the same model, not find ways to create even more of a disparity.

Up until now its been UEFA fighting against the European Club Association* (ECA) -(*read Juventus mainly) against this type of idea. I think with the Platini thing they have lost a lot of the high ground and they may be bullied into this type of competition.

If its a closed league... if I were the PL I would be tempted to kick out any team that wants to join this league, it will distort and demean their competition. It may cause pain in the short term but its better than a long term death of the competition due to 3 or 4 clubs having loads of resource vs the rest / other competition taking precedence.

We will also see how the lack of away fans effect viewing figures in the foreign markets.
Not supportive of the proposal at all, but the idea of the PL excommunicating any club that participates in it is not on. The money in the PL is pretty much all generated by the top 6 clubs - no one in the global market, and fewer in the domestic market, are interested in watching Watford v Palace. The owners of the other 14 clubs understand that a PL sans Spurs, United, City, Liverpool, Blue Scum, Red Scum is basically the championship and the finances, or lack thereof.

You could ostracize the clubs that participate, or build a big wall and isolate yourselves from it. But in the end you'll just end up with the championship - the money, and therefore the players like Ndombele, Alli, Kane, Jan, Toby, Hugo, etc., will be gone. At that point, why not just support a champo club as it is?

Not supportive of the proposal at all, but the idea of the PL excommunicating any club that participates in it is not on. The money in the PL is pretty much all generated by the top 6 clubs - no one in the global market, and fewer in the domestic market, are interested in watching Watford v Palace. The owners of the other 14 clubs understand that a PL sans Spurs, United, City, Liverpool, Blue Scum, Red Scum is basically the championship and the finances, or lack thereof.

You could ostracize the clubs that participate, or build a big wall and isolate yourselves from it. But in the end you'll just end up with the championship - the money, and therefore the players like Ndombele, Alli, Kane, Jan, Toby, Hugo, etc., will be gone. At that point, why not just support a champo club as it is?
I see your view and agree with it to a point but long term if you go with it you will be the Scottish PL. I think in the short term if they got shot of Celtic and Rangers it would hurt them but in the medium term it will allow them to build a proper functioning league and it will benefit them.

Is it only those clubs that make the PL the top league in Africa / Asia or is it style of play, timezone, culture, away fans. The league would be wrecked with the 3-4 clubs ring fenced an extra £100M + and giving that league priority. Watford v Palace might not be a draw but Everton v Spurs (we wont be invited) or Woolwich may be, you may as well try and fight back rather than roll over and die a long death.

I see your view and agree with it to a point but long term if you go with it you will be the Scottish PL. I think in the short term if they got shot of Celtic and Rangers it would hurt them but in the medium term it will allow them to build a proper functioning league and it will benefit them.

Is it only those clubs that make the PL the top league in Africa / Asia or is it style of play, timezone, culture, away fans. The league would be wrecked with the 3-4 clubs ring fenced an extra £100M + and giving that league priority. Watford v Palace might not be a draw but Everton v Spurs (we wont be invited) or Woolwich may be, you may as well try and fight back rather than roll over and die a long death.
The style of play is, largely, an extension of the players available and their skill sets, though. The top players will leave to follow the money, and you'll be left with what's left over.

The foreign TV money will plummet - all of that would be going to the new Euro league. Would Everton v Spurs be a draw internationally? Sure, and so is Juve v Napoli now...but they don't play often enough for anyone to care about Serie A anymore.

It's a sad state of affairs, and romantically, in interests of the purity of the sport, England might end up with a league that gets back to the heart of the sport. That may even make the supporter experience better, honestly. But cutting loose the top clubs will reduce the quality of the football and athletes in the league. The overall reduction of money would mean a reduction in quality of facilities, and all the ancillary aspects of the game.

If we're left behind in this scenario, our infrastructure spending could mean we become the dominate force in English football (ignoring the taunts of the clubs that left us behind)...pretty much forever. Or the associated debt could mean the liquidation of the club. Just another reason for Levy to be paying as much of it off as soon as possible.

The style of play is, largely, an extension of the players available and their skill sets, though. The top players will leave to follow the money, and you'll be left with what's left over.

The foreign TV money will plummet - all of that would be going to the new Euro league. Would Everton v Spurs be a draw internationally? Sure, and so is Juve v Napoli now...but they don't play often enough for anyone to care about Serie A anymore.

It's a sad state of affairs, and romantically, in interests of the purity of the sport, England might end up with a league that gets back to the heart of the sport. That may even make the supporter experience better, honestly. But cutting loose the top clubs will reduce the quality of the football and athletes in the league. The overall reduction of money would mean a reduction in quality of facilities, and all the ancillary aspects of the game.

If we're left behind in this scenario, our infrastructure spending could mean we become the dominate force in English football (ignoring the taunts of the clubs that left us behind)...pretty much forever. Or the associated debt could mean the liquidation of the club. Just another reason for Levy to be paying as much of it off as soon as possible.
Style of play is fast and direct, that is consistent regardless of the players or the quality available- quality will fall but style will stay (the big dozen clubs can only take so many players).

Foreign money may plummet but if the new Euro league was successful then the money would probably fall in the longer term anyway, and the big clubs would use the same argument Celtic / Rangers use to take the lions share (Liverpool are pushing for this already). This way you are trying to get in front of it, it may not work but it could.

I think your last two points would be the same in the longer run due to the Euro League as more resource and prestige goes to the Euro League the EPL will face the same issues. In the longer term if successful it is likely the clubs will leave the league anyway at least booting them out 1) tires to prevent the Euro League or 2) fights it.

In summary my scenario probably wont work but it has a chance, the alternate is a slow decline into that situation without fighting it.

Style of play is fast and direct, that is consistent regardless of the players or the quality available- quality will fall but style will stay (the big dozen clubs can only take so many players).

Foreign money may plummet but if the new Euro league was successful then the money would probably fall in the longer term anyway, and the big clubs would use the same argument Celtic / Rangers use to take the lions share (Liverpool are pushing for this already). This way you are trying to get in front of it, it may not work but it could.

I think your last two points would be the same in the longer run due to the Euro League as more resource and prestige goes to the Euro League the EPL will face the same issues. In the longer term if successful it is likely the clubs will leave the league anyway at least booting them out 1) tires to prevent the Euro League or 2) fights it.

In summary my scenario probably wont work but it has a chance, the alternate is a slow decline into that situation without fighting it.
I can see what you're getting at, I just feel threatening to toss the top clubs will accelerate the decline, quality-wise, of the remaining clubs to championship level.

At the end of the day the top EPL clubs are all run as businesses (besides City being a weird business that's more just a PR tool of a larger business) by businessmen. No one involved in the running of these clubs really has an attachment to the "English" game, and if forced to choose between Euro or English football, they're going to make a financial decision...and the money will almost certainly be better in the Euro league.

We're going to end up with a global league eventually, whether anyone likes it or not. TV is where the money is, and TV doesn't care about tradition or geography. People, in general, just want to watch the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the game. I don't watch 2nd tier German or French clubs play, and I'd assume neither do you or anyone this side of Totti.

Why don’t , as they have won it more than anyone else , Real Madrid & A C Milan just play each other in June & the winner at the European Champions ? European pedigree , my arse!

Maybe the sports channels could just decide who wins by who will attract the most viewing figures , it saves on potential shock results like Ajax & us spoiling things for the true footballing greats .

I can see what you're getting at, I just feel threatening to toss the top clubs will accelerate the decline, quality-wise, of the remaining clubs to championship level.

At the end of the day the top EPL clubs are all run as businesses (besides City being a weird business that's more just a PR tool of a larger business) by businessmen. No one involved in the running of these clubs really has an attachment to the "English" game, and if forced to choose between Euro or English football, they're going to make a financial decision...and the money will almost certainly be better in the Euro league.

We're going to end up with a global league eventually, whether anyone likes it or not. TV is where the money is, and TV doesn't care about tradition or geography. People, in general, just want to watch the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the game. I don't watch 2nd tier German or French clubs play, and I'd assume neither do you or anyone this side of Totti.
I agree with what you have said, my "plan" would probably not work but it was a chance to keep the PL relevant. In the event of a Euro league (unchallenged) you are right it will lead to a World league and the devaluation of EPL, you may as well make it difficult and have the chance it could keep the EPL relevant (Man U & Pool may not join the breakaway if threatened with exclusion for example).

If we do enter this league or if their is a situation where 3/4 enter and are in the PL I will go down the leagues for my football.

Why don’t , as they have won it more than anyone else , Real Madrid & A C Milan just play each other in June & the winner at the European Champions ? European pedigree , my arse!

Maybe the sports channels could just decide who wins by who will attract the most viewing figures , it saves on potential shock results like Ajax & us spoiling things for the true footballing greats .
Man U fans do point to wages paid and twitter followers to prove they are relevant - seems like a good idea imo.

Man U fans do point to wages paid and twitter followers to prove they are relevant - seems like a good idea imo.

Hopefully one day we can get rid of football stadia entirely & just concentrate on how many “ likes” teams get to distribute the honors.

Hopefully one day we can get rid of football stadia entirely & just concentrate on how many “ likes” teams get to distribute the honors.
Bin Dippers have ended their league drought!!

Liverpool's Donovan Hunt (F2Tekkz) is the ePremier League Champion, having been crowned from 40 of the UK’s best gamers who took part in the inaugural 2019 tournament final.

Back
Top Bottom