Footballers or other sports stars you've met who left a bad impression

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Used to work in a pub that the Leeds players frequented back in the 90s. Most were fine, decent guys. However, David Batty was a bellend.

One Sunday lunch he and his family were in. He and his missus were swearing constantly and very loudly. Other customers had their families in and I had a few complaints, other bar staff wouldn’t go and ask him to tone it down, so I had to.

Went over to ask him if he would moderate his language, he looked at me and said “do you know who I am?”

I replied with “yes I do mr Batty, it was great seeing you get hammered by spurs the other day!” He shut up and we never saw him in the pub again.

Used to work in a pub that the Leeds players frequented back in the 90s. Most were fine, decent guys. However, David Batty was a bellend.

One Sunday lunch he and his family were in. He and his missus were swearing constantly and very loudly. Other customers had their families in and I had a few complaints, other bar staff wouldn’t go and ask him to tone it down, so I had to.

Went over to ask him if he would moderate his language, he looked at me and said “do you know who I am?”

I replied with “yes I do mr Batty, it was great seeing you get hammered by spurs the other day!” He shut up and we never saw him in the pub again.

I've seen Guti three times now in Ikea, didn't speak to him myself, didn't even recognize him but he seemed great had so much time for people must have hung around for at least an hour the first time.

Such a great story, and I'll go ahead and give you credit for it being true.

I will say though, that it's so great, that it's one of those where it for many would be the kind of story that rather ends with your actual words, being "later that night once I was in the comfort and safety of my bed, I thought, what I really should have said was..."

Myself included :llorishuh:

My brother met Lee Dixon on a plane, said he was very cool and polite. He also met Gary Mabbs and David Beckham both of whom were very nice rather predictably.

I've never met him but I've heard from numerous sources that Frank Skinner is a bit of dick which has always been a bit of disappointment to me because I rate him very highly as a comedian having seen him perform many times over the years. One of these reports came from a very established advertising photographer I used to print for (in the days of analogue film) . He was asked to take a portrait of Skinner for an editorial piece and it turned out to be one of the most difficult assignments he ever had ending up with Skinner ranting at his assistant. Most professional photographers tend to be pretty robust because of the nature of the business but this guy was another level. He was a hardened advertising photographer at the very top of the tree, used to big budgets, big pressure and technically brilliant, and yet I could tell this stressful episode left him deeply pissed off.

Such a great story, and I'll go ahead and give you credit for it being true.

I will say though, that it's so great, that it's one of those where it for many would be the kind of story that rather ends with your actual words, being "later that night once I was in the comfort and safety of my bed, I thought, what I really should have said was..."

Myself included :llorishuh:

Usually I would have been very polite, but he was such an arrogant arse hole. It did take me about ten minutes to screw my courage up to go and have words, i think I took that time to remember we’d recently smashed Leeds. Used to get lots of bants off the players.

The rest of the Leeds players were great, vinny Jones played up his ‘ard man image, but was fine with my dad giving him a bollocking for his dog running behind the bar and tripping him up.

Incidentally Michael duberry was a really nice dude, he got such crap from the fans, but I doubt any would have given it to his face, he was bloody huge!

I once worked for a company that did a lot of Hewlett Packards PR in the UK. The year they first sponsored is(first year with pony kits too) I got a lot of kit ITK. Saw the HP contracts, so saw mock ups of the kits, that kind of thing.

Any way, I managed to blag myself a job helping out the HP bods on team photo day, so I met most of them.(the players) Mainly a bunch of cocks, although Mabbut was a decent man...spent plenty of time hanging around doing the autograph signing and so on.

The real bonus, and it was completely unexpected, was that Bill Nicholson was there. So I got to meet him and shake his hand.

Mick Channon.
My primary school won the Double in my final year (1979)
Our games teacher (who was a fuckin Legend) knew Mick and managed to get him to present us with our Cups and medals at the local Locarno/Mecca.
As I was about to have my picture taken with him the photographers flash unit died and as a result I didn't get a picture taken, I was the last one to be pictured.
After about half an hour it was obvious that the camera wasn't going to play ball, I was devastated.
Despite having another PA to go to that evening he stuck around whilst my Dad went home to get his camera.
I got my picture with him in the end.
Met him again some 20 years later at Newmarket races, and guess what...

Yeah, that's right.
He didn't remember me.
:harrylol: :harrysmile:
Top Bloke though, we had a laugh about it.

Goes without saying - Stevie P is the most perfect human being God ever created.
Keith Burkinshaw is a prince amongst men.
Gary Mabbutt is a gentleman - a genuinely nice guy.
Met a lot of players in the past, especially in the 80s and 90s, and most were polite and happy to sign autographs and have their picture taken. Wasn't taken with Lineker or Sheringham, though, and Ian Walker was a bit of a wally. I got chatted up by Ian Hendon, but not sure he counts as a celebrity:)
Met John Gorman and Ian Moores in Malta many moons ago, and had a long chat with John, but Ian was not so forthcoming (may have just been shy).
Alvin Martin was a nice guy, shame he played for that lot, though.
One person I would love to meet and have a chat with - Martin Jol, he must have some stories to tell.

John Gorman is a great bloke, loves Spurs. Used to be my manager at youth level , my old man still chats to him occasionally.
Geoff Pike not a bad bloke.
Trevor brooking a gent, as is Billy Bonds.
Nick Barmby was an arrogant prick, as was Ian Walker and Scott houghton when I played against them at Youth Level
Tony Cottee absolute bellend

But the ultimate for me was Sir Bill, only ever saw him when he used to park in the school behind the Shelf, he would always say “hello lads”as we walked by in awe.

EDIT
Dave Mackay - Lovely witty bloke.
Prince Naseem - Arrogant prick.
Pat Jennings - Lovely man
Gerry Armstrong - Top bloke who never forgot his working class roots,no posh road " The Butts" in Turnford for him, the 100 acre estate in Hoddesdon was good enough.

Pat Jennings - massive hands. Picked up an entire shelf of baked beans in Tesco Hoddesdon (when there was one) with ONE HAND. (I may be exaggerating for comic effect).
David Seaman - lovely, gentle, respectful bloke, even though he dumped his wife for a younger model.
Sally Gunnell - can run really fast when she can't be arsed to give your kids an autograph.

As a Norwegian, I've met quite a few Norwegian footballers. Some who've played in the premiership. I can list up the following:
John Arne Riise (Liverpool): This guy seem to have no brain. Wanking on celebrity bars, thinking that people rate him because what he achieved.
John Carew (Aston Villa, apparently a good mate of Prince William): Wants to be an actor. Only looks after himself. Promoting Maltesian gamble corporations. Total wanker.
Henning Berg (Blackburn/Man United): A good football managing theoretical. Don't have very good interpersonal skills.
Øyvind Leonhardsen (Liverpool/Wimbledon/Aston Villa/Tottenham): Family man, decent bloke.
Morten Gamst Pedersen (ex Blackburn): Disappeared from the limelight. Seemed like a decent bloke when I met him out.
Stig Inge Bjørnebye (Liverpool/Blackburn): A guy who worked his ass off to become a professional footballer without talent. Decent guy.
Mats Møller Dæhlie (Cardiff). Was one of the players Solskjær picked up during his miserable time at the club. Lost most of his career to injuries, now plays for St. Pauli. Lovely guy who've been working to help coaching youngsters at my local club during his injury spells. Still a Norway international.
Jan Åge Fjørtoft (Swindon/Middlesbrough/Barnsley): Twitter-wanker and Media-cunt. Always looking for an opening to promote himself and his network-building career ladder. Wanks over Klopp and Liverpool every time he gets his chance.

Garry Bushell is a mate.
He's a journalist and TV presenter who was fairly well known a few years back*
Mik Whitnal from the Baby Shambles is a mate.Havent seen him for ages though

*The second sentence mainly for younger forumees

I remember him. In the paper a lot, Bushell on the box or something.

Met Ian Botham at a party, a really top bloke, down to earth.

Tony Adams, after he'd retired, on a ferry to Ireland with his family. He was actually a really nice fella.
Apart from being a cunt

My old man broke his back in the early 80s. Spent around 4 months in a spinal unit near Salisbury.

Jimmy Saville came to visit a few months in. Did the rounds around the different wards. The cigar muncher walked into my Dad’s ward that was clearly signed ‘spinal unit’ and shouted ‘Don’t bother standing up you lazy fuckers!’ then went round the beds handing cigars out and lighting them up. Spent an hour talking about random stuff, trying to make them laugh and take their minds off of things.

Dad said that his agent/assistant or whoever he was kept trying to move him onto the next ward - Saville kept sticking his fingers up at him and told him to pipe down. A lot of the lads in the room would never walk again and had just come off the back of serious accidents, most of them motorbike accidents. Amongst all the sadness and pain a bit of dark humour lit them all up for a bit.

Just goes to show. Even the most evil cunts in this world can have good in them.

That's Saville not your actual story.

Back
Top Bottom