What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would take a top 3 finish and a good run in the cups. Hopefully winning one.

Would be nice to see Lloris and Vertonghen get their hands on a trophy.
I share your views regarding top three. I feel we definitely now have the quality to create a definitive gap between ourselves and fourth place, maybe even overtake Liverpool. Really looking forward to the season ahead.

City win the domestics because they are hungry for silverware....all silverware.

I think that plays the biggest part. If we took the FA Cup seriously, we would win it, and I dont see why it has to be at top 4s expense.

We could very realistically be champions of Europe right now with top 4, so I think winning a Carabou should be doable.
City win siverware because their second 11 are capable of beating most, if not all, Premier League club first teams, hell even their 3rd 11 would give teams a good game. That's why they will win the league again and that's why they will probably win both domestic cups again. Maybe even the Champions League as ell, who knows?
That's what being owned by a corrupt oil rich country with an endless supply of laundered money can do for a club.

If we perform to our best then we are right up there.... No silly and annoying slips against wet spam or a relegation battler and we are right there, go to anfield, Etihad, library, old Trafford and the West London hole and take points and.... Who knows.

Do I think poch is on the line now? No. It's a long term project, this is the start of chapter 2.

We are capable of winning a cup and finishing top 4(at least).
But that doesn't give us a divine right to do so,nor is it a guarantee we will.
That's down to all the players turning up for every game.All those semis we lost was probably down to bottling it.But the final in June was lack of hunger imho.I got the impression that all, but 2 outfield players thought they had done enough just getting there.As a fan that is not acceptable.
I would rather have been totally outplayed (we weren't), but showing guts and effort than having to watch our lot going through the motions.
That has change if we are to win cups.

We should have won a trophy by now under Pochettino and lost the Premier League to a poorer Leicester squad.

So for me and as the squad is at present it's can we get 3rd or better and go deep in a cup competition, which of course can be very much in the lap of the Gods.

In essence we need to be competitive amd we can all objectively (other than the Happy Clappers) assess that.

It brings its own rewards.

Some people are a little tired of little old Spurs being satisfied to put up a good fight but ultimately lose though.

Eriksen certainly seems tired of it....why can’t the fans be then?

Difference to be tired and being realistic, City are miles ahead of everyone in terms of squad ability and squad depth and Liverpool are arguably still ahead of us.

This current squad 3-4 seasons ago would be odds on for the title but it’s currently around the 3-4th best. It also depends what you consider success, would 5th and a League Cup win do or would 2nd in the league be better?

We all want success but we are in a league that currently has a monster called the Sheikh Mansour Team.

Difference to be tired and being realistic, City are miles ahead of everyone in terms of squad ability and squad depth and Liverpool are arguably still ahead of us.

This current squad 3-4 seasons ago would be odds on for the title but it’s currently around the 3-4th best. It also depends what you consider success, would 5th and a League Cup win do or would 2nd in the league be better?

We all want success but we are in a league that currently has a monster called the Sheikh Mansour Team.
I think it’s very unrealistic to think that City are the only team capable of winning the Carabou while finishing top 4

You miss the point - the thread is headed "no excuses" and that's patently false ... there are plenty of perfectly valid excuses that will crop up, one of the most obvious ones is that City have a squad far better than either Spurs or Liverpool, that's not even up for debate ... 11 v 11 we can beat anyone, 25 v 25 we're as good as most but City with their endless wealth have simply more depth.

Of course we can win it all, and I'm sure we will be trying, but if we don't then to say "we've failed" would simply be wrong. We have massively overachieved in recent seasons that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep aiming for the very top ... however not achieving EPL or CL this season would not be a failure, that's simply not our reality.

I haven’t missed the point - you specifically stated that we have no right to beat City in any competition due to their spend and i quite easily highlighted the absurdity of that statement. Given that you judge everything by revenue I take it you were critical of Pochettino when we missed out on the title to Leicester? Our revenue is significantly higher than theirs so we had every right to be critical because they had no right to be competing with us right?

And no we haven’t massively overachieved have we? We haven’t won anything - we are on our longest silverware drought since the ‘30s. We are the only top 6 side during his tenure not to have won anything despite having one of the leagues best sides in that time. We have lost to the likes of Gent in the Europe’s league and Leicester twice and Palace twice in the FA cup. We should have had trophy haul similar to the Burkinshaw era and instead we have a replication of the Pleat tenure.

The issue here is that our manager is running short of valid excuses. All I heard last season was how Wembley was hindering us about how Liverpool’s market spend had disadvantaged us. Well now we have the best stadium in the league and a massive market spend behind us ( whilst Liverpool hasn’t spend anything) and yet seemingly the expectation should remain a top 4 finish and a decent cup run. It’s quite unbelievable reading what some are saying in this thread. Just when exactly does our manager become accountable? How many more years need to pass before some actually ask the question if he is at fault?

City win siverware because their second 11 are capable of beating most, if not all, Premier League club first teams, hell even their 3rd 11 would give teams a good game. That's why they will win the league again and that's why they will probably win both domestic cups again. Maybe even the Champions League as ell, who knows?
That's what being owned by a corrupt oil rich country with an endless supply of laundered money can do for a club.

Listen you’d have a point if we didn’t knock them out of the CL and then get to the final.

We are not runners up of Europe because City have more money....we played shit in one game against a Liverpool team that barely turned up and had a dodgy penalty awarded against us after 30 seconds.

So again, it is not beyond this squad to win the FA or Carabou Cup and come 4th if it very nearly won the CL while finishing 4th in season where we had over 50 separate injuries and played 90% of it away from home.

Makes me laugh, everyone creaming through the summer transfer window but nobody expects any silverware all of a sudden or to compete.

When the manager says it’s not worth winning the FA Cup because it’s just ego boosting and “where are Wigan now”, we’ll theres your “excuse”...

It was an absolutely appalling thing for a Tottenham manager to say and an absolute disgrace that the majority of the supporter didn’t call him out on it. This is Tottenham Hotspur and that is the FA Cup - it’s ingrained into our history. just imagine what Nicholson would have thought of that comment and our approach to the domestic tournaments.

Something has become very rotten at the club when all parties are simply content with a top 4 finish and a good run in one of the so called meaningful cup tournaments. Just when did so many supporters transition from being a supporter to a stockholder?

It was an absolutely appalling thing for a Tottenham manager to say and an absolute disgrace that the majority of the supporter didn’t call him out on it. This is Tottenham Hotspur and that is the FA Cup - it’s ingrained into our history. just imagine what Nicholson would have thought of that comment and our approach to the domestic tournaments.

Something has become very rotten at the club when all parties are simply content with a top 4 finish and a good run in one of the so called meaningful cup tournaments. Just when did so many supporters transition from being a supporter to a stockholder?

For me it seems that the same people who demand titles from Levy lower all their expectations when it comes to the manager.

Right down to the point where losing semis and finals constantly is because of City

Much will depend on the luck of the draw so I won't get wrapped up in the need for a trophy that much, league is still the priority no matter how much we fancy a parade down the high road,
if we had City's FA cup draw 2 or 3 years ago we'd have already won that trophy - their draw last season was dumb.

Although we were pretty much gifted into the semis in 2017 and 2018 so I don't think we can complain too much.

Top 3 and competing across four fronts is my expectations. If he successfully beds in Ndombele and Lo Celso into our midfield I think we've got a great shot at a trophy.

As always, I want a trophy, but not at the expense of continued Champion's League football. It's still far too important at this stage to sacrifice for an FA or League Cup.

However, our revenue is finally catching up to our performance, so overachieving will soon becoming underachieving.

Back
Top Bottom