What Should Our Realistic Expectations For This Season Be ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, I said the priority isn't in trying to win a domestic cup but rather to finish as high up in the league as possible AND do well in the CL.

If a domestic cup is won then great but I'm not going to be screaming for Poch's head if we fail to do so.

Also, check our history. We've had little periods where we've won a few trophies but we have two league titles to our name. That's not solely down to Levy and Poch is it?

You're just being a complete and utter dick as per fucking usual.

So the target is the exact same target as the season before and the one before that and the one before that.

MDG’s Tottenham Future Expections.

2021 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2022 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2023 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2024 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

2025 - Top 4 Finish and CL campaign

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

A ‘magnificent’ return in your own words.

You are absolutely right we had little periods of no silverware - what we haven’t had since the war is a compete decade with no silverware which what we just have had. This at a time when the club has had two of its most talented sides but according to you there is nothing concerning about this.

This is what happens when a supporter stops supporting the club and starts supporting its employees.

Sorry thought I was back on SC for a minute. Okay, let's live a little and change the title.
How's that everyone ?? (That felt soooooo good knowing I wasn't going to get a bollocking from A&C)
Apologies again for using the word 'excuses' as Airfixx Airfixx quite rightly pointed out that might well imply expectations of failure and that's the last thing I personally foresee this season.
:coys:

#NoCriminal

There is a really strange secondary argument which is something which I find insane and you can trace it in this thread. It goes something like this...

Spurs have failed to win some silverware domestically or in Europe, why aren't the fans angrier with the club and Pochettino for not delivering something which the squad is capable of?

The problem is that, for some progress isn't enough, that without tangible silverware the club is nothing but a failure. I honestly believe if we finish top 4 and won the league cup, the very same fans would not be satisfied in earnest, there will be something else.

When I started listening to the Podcast, most of the team would have sold their own grandmothers just to finish above Woolwich. Things have changed and we have progressed but that hunger hasn't been sated and in honesty I doubt it would unless we won the league or champions league, but everyone comes to the table with their own expectations.

The strange thing is what will these people do if their expectations aren't met? Boo at games? Start a Youtube channel, maybe write some pithy placards or start a twitter campaign. I wonder which club's set of fans has done this before???

My perception is that most still see it as a 2 horsed race and will eagerly cite the "26 point gap" and how much ahead Liverpool are, let alone the blatantly better equipped City.

Anyway, this is besides the point i began discussing with you....

Yep.. Your underlying position is clear as day... You've said this constantly ever since you arrived here.

I just answered the question you posed earlier. As already stated, you however wanted an answer to a different question all along.

We have just had two of the games most successful manager claim that we are a contender. Liverpool have made no first team signings and have been slated by Carragher for it. Most acknowledge we have had a very good window.

I have made my position abundantly clear - I expect teams with this level of talent to win trophies and will look to identify where the fault lies when it does not . That’s a perfectly normal thing to do what - what isn’t is to look immediately to excuse everyone and anyone at the club when this doesn’t happen which is what you and many others on here do.

We are rapidly becoming Keegan’s Newcastle - the level of blind devotion being shown to Pochettino is a really unhealthy situation for us to be in.

Last edited:
I have made my position abundantly clear - I expect teams with this level of talent to win trophies and will look at identify where the fault lies when it does not . That’s a perfectly normal thing to do what - what isn’t is to look immediately to excuse everyone and anyone at the club when this doesn’t happen which is what you and many others on here do.

Let me know when you call your press conference...

Top 3. The aim though, of course should be to win the league.

I really do see this as an opportunity to create a top 3 of which we will be a part. Together with City and Liverpool we have an opportunity to pull away from the Chelsea/Woolwich/Man Utd, Evertons etc etc of this world and leave them all in our wake chasing the final fourth spot.
It's not enough to simply be above them, we have to create a gap between us and them which is sufficient to suggest we are now streets ahead as far as depth and quality of players is concerned.
"Realistically" that is possible and we do it by not losing 13 games in one season ever again. Lesson learnt I hope.

So you can come and virtue signal about what a real fan you are?

No I just want to listen to all the people you blame for Tottenham not meeting your expectations, you can read out your roll of shame to all assorted parties...

'It's not good enough Robbie' may be you can complete the ensemble by wearing a baseball bat and being a bit sweary...

I present The Hood's end of season future collection... (look away kids)

We have just had two of the games most successful manager claim that we are a contender. Liverpool have made no first team signings and have been slated by Carragher for it. Most acknowledge we have had a very good window.

You're wasting both our time with needless repetition...

I've already acknowledged that, but I ask you again (and likely again and again cos you'll never concede the fact that you're twisting recent platitude to fit the same narrative you've been peddling for years):

Does that imply "win the league/CL or sacked"?

No.

Ergo, Pep & Jose aren't supporting your stance here.

I have made my position abundantly clear - I expect teams with this level of talent to win trophies and will look to identify where the fault lies when it does not . That’s a perfectly normal thing to do what - what isn’t is to look immediately to excuse everyone and anyone at the club when this doesn’t happen which is what you and many others on here do.

We are rapidly becoming Keegan’s Newcastle - the level of blind devotion is being shown to Pochettino and it really isn’t a healthy situation for us to be in.

A mere domestic cup = Poch survives? .....Or is it EPL or CL win or bust for you?

Truth is you, wanted him gone for as long as you've been here....So spending 100m or not this summer is just a red-herring.

Top 3. The aim though, of course should be to win the league.

Oh, but apparently we're not 'allowed' such an outlook;, where one sets a target but aims higher.

It has to be a binary 'glory or death' stance or we're just succumbing to a cut of mediocrity.

...Anything less makes one a soft-willed, virtue signalling supa-fan (tm). :roll:

No I just want to listen to all the people you blame for Tottenham not meeting your expectations, you can read out your roll of shame to all assorted parties...

'It's not good enough Robbie' may be you can complete the ensemble by wearing a baseball bat and being a bit sweary...

I present The Hood's end of season future collection... (look away kids)

So let me get this right not only is there no merit in those Spurs supports who question the reason for the clubs failure to secure silverware. There is also no merit in those Woolwich supporters who want Kroenke gone , a chairman who is easily one of the worst club owners in the PL whose tenure has resulted in a massive decline in the clubs fortunes. I can only imagine you during the Sugar era -

‘but if it wasn’t for Sugar we would had Maxwell’.

‘It’s an absolute disgrace that those supporters are protesting against the man who saved the club’.

‘Christian Gross will be our Wenger just you see!’ .

You are the perfect supporter for the modern club owner - zero accountability for anyone, real supporters keep their mouths shut!

Last edited:
So let me get this right not only is there no merit in those Spurs supports who question the reason for the clubs failure to secure silverware. There is also no merit in those Woolwich supporters who want Kroenke gone , a chairman who is easily one of the worst club owners in the PL whose tenure has resulted in a massive decline in the clubs fortunes. I can only imagine you during the Sugar era - ‘but if it wasn’t for Sugar we would had Maxwell’. ‘It’s an absolute disgrace that those supporters are protesting against the man who saved the club’. ‘Christian Gross will be our Wenger just you see!’ . You are the perfect supporter for the modern club - zero accountability for anyone, real supporters keep their mouths shut!

I find it hilarious you don't, like most normal folk, find their behaviour utterly cringe inducing, if you want our fans to behave like that prick in the future, I want no part in it.

It's incredibly hard to win a trophy - and all teams need help from lady luck along the way (some need more help than others).

One day she will smile on us.

Until that day arrives all we need to do is criticise, moan, gripe, abuse each other and melt, as all genuine supporters should.

Poch out.
Oh don’t worry now the season has started there are certain posters who’ve not been on the go on here for the whole summer, now they’ve either been away on a long holiday......or more likely they can’t find fuck all to moan about we’ve signed someone won a dinky wee trophy(yes I know it counts for nothing) and other than the players who want out which the club can’t do fuck all about! everything been positive they’ll be itching to get on that keyboard bet they can’t wait for back of 7 on Saturday night!

I find it hilarious you don't, like most normal folk, find their behaviour utterly cringe inducing, if you want our fans to behave like that prick in the future, I want no part in it.

I don’t care about what our supporters wear or how they talk - I look for if there is any merit in what they say.

Kroenke has been a disaster for Woolwich, Wenger stayed on far longer than he should. Everyone could see that - it’s why none of us want Kroenke to go. If we had a club owner like that I would fully expect the supporter base to air their grievances and I wouldn’t sneer at our supporters from certain backgrounds with a pretentious middle class lense like you do.

But you’re a model supporter aren’t you? I’m getting this wrong - I thought the supporters were the custodians of the club whose job is to hold the people in charge to account. Silly me I have got it all wrong - it’s all about giving blind support and having no expectations.

I’m not buying this “miles behind Liverpool” thing.

We consistently finished above them for years then they added a CB and a GK and suddenly they are untouchable?? Yes the gap was huge last year, but not a fair reflection - we massively fell away, they won their last dozen games in a freaky title race.

WE WERE AHEAD OF CITY after 19 games....

I don’t see City getting another 98 points. I don’t believe Liverpool are miles ahead of us.

So the aim should be to win the league (not that I think we will by the way!)

Agree with comments that some of rivals are running through treacle and still getting to finals and picking up trophies, it is annoying that....

So realistically this year.

Top 3 but to be in the hunt beyond last years February meltdown.
I think City will win it. But I don’t see Liverpool locking up 2nd place.

Cups will be interesting.... bit of luck with the draw and who knows.... Palace last year we had no midfield and Chelski only beat us on pens (we should have gone thru on away goals!) so it’s hard to say we didn’t try for a domestic cup last year.

The extra players and being at home will all help - as will having a summer off for most of our players. The experience of the UCL should drive on “top” players - or show up those who just believe they are.
I think Kane will smash it this year. A 40 plus return if he plays most of it.

Plus we can’t possibly lose 20 games again right?!

I think we’ll have a good season.

:kanegoal:

Back
Top Bottom