Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honest question:

What does Lucas have to do to become a fixture in our starting 11? What is it that puts Poch off, it’s certainly not his attitude.

Is it the fact he gets in Kane’s way a lot? Is it that his final pass is lacking?

Some would argue it’s the diamond that makes him and Kane get in each other’s way. The guy is so fucking talented but what does he need to change to make him as important as son?

Him son and Kane as a front 3 would be insane if we can just get him to move up 1 gear. I mean I know he’s already a legend because of Ajax but look at the guy he’s so close to being truly great

I have nothing but respect for anyone who shows a true commitment and passion for this wonderful club. Lucas clearly wants to play an integral part in the future success of Spurs and I think Poch owes him an opportunity to do so after his past performances.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who shows a true commitment and passion for this wonderful club. Lucas clearly wants to play an integral part in the future success of Spurs and I think Poch owes him an opportunity to do so after his past performances.
Totally agree he deserves a chance, I just want to know what it is he needs to add to his game to make Poch start him consistently.

I honestly am not sure what more he has to do, Thought someone on here might have some input. . .

I honestly won’t be surprised to see Moura on the bench yet again on Sunday, and that’s with out a for dele to contend with.

Honest question:

What does Lucas have to do to become a fixture in our starting 11? What is it that puts Poch off, it’s certainly not his attitude.

Is it the fact he gets in Kane’s way a lot? Is it that his final pass is lacking?

Some would argue it’s the diamond that makes him and Kane get in each other’s way. The guy is so fucking talented but what does he need to change to make him as important as son?

Him son and Kane as a front 3 would be insane if we can just get him to move up 1 gear. I mean I know he’s already a legend because of Ajax but look at the guy he’s so close to being truly great

I think the "problem" with Moura is he is a heads down type of player.
He's great when through on goal and he can terrorise defences with his pace and skill but it's his lack of ability to see/play a pass when running at speed that (IMO) seems to be the problem.

I could be wrong and would be interested to see his passing stats compared to Son/Kane/Dele/Eriksen.

He's great when through on goal and he can terrorise defences with his pace and skill but it's his lack of ability to see/play a pass when running at speed that (IMO) seems to be the problem.

I could be wrong and would be interested to see his passing stats compared to Son/Kane/Dele/Eriksen.

I think that's accurate and I think he's happy with his role here. He'll start plenty of games and come on as sub more often than not in the games he doesn't start. The last year has been the highlight of his time as a professional footballer, which I'm sure he'd agree himself. Watching his PSG goals, very few seem particularly important, by the way he and the team celebrate. He's scored a lot of iconic goals here though.

I agree with this, but he’s been here what 18 months? He should have an understanding of Kane and the rest now, and he should be working on his vision and final third passing. I hope we see an improvement I want this guy to reach his potential.

Honest question:

Fair question.

I think he just carries on in truth.

What we need is for our players to care less about who scores and care more about the collective effort.

But if you score a hat-trick in a semi-final and find yourself on the bench then there is nothing that should surprise.

Play him in a front 3 (Son / Kane / Lucas) and have him and Sonny running onto the ball as our furthest men forward rather than saddled with trying to sniff out assists and clever passes.

a) Chase and shoot, b) cut the ball inside to an oncoming Kane or c) to the outside for an overlapping FB... Pretty basic stuff for any pro, I'd have thought.

Last edited:
Yeah fair enough.

As I said that's the impression I get when watching him.

If anyone can put up stats on his attacking (forward/completed/key etc) passes when compared to Son, Dele, Eriksen etc I would be grateful. bus-conductor bus-conductor ?

No idea on his forward passes as I don't know where to get overall forward passing stats for a season but:

Lucas (2018/19)
1.1 key passes per 90
1.9 dribbles completed per 90
30 passes completed per 90
1.4 times dispossessed per 90
0 assists

Son (2018/19)
1.4 key passes per 90
2.1 dribbles completed per 90
33 passes completed per 90
1.9 times dispossessed per 90
6 assists

Dele (2018/19)
1.3 key passes per 90
1.4 dribbles completed per 90
50 passes completed per 90
3 assists

Eriksen (2018/19)
2.4 key passes per 90
0.6 dribbles completed per 90
61 passes completed per 90
0.9 times dispossessed per 90
12 assists

Lamela (2018/19)
1.5 key passes per 90
1.8 dribbles completed per 90
39 passes completed per 90
1.8 times dispossessed per 90
2 assists

Kane (2018/19)
1.1 key passes per 90
1.5 dribbles completed per 90
20 passes completed per 90
1.6 times dispossessed per 90
4 assists

No idea on his forward passes as I don't know where to get overall forward passing stats for a season but:

Lucas (2018/19)
1.1 key passes per 90
1.9 dribbles completed per 90
30 passes completed per 90
0 assists

Son (2018/19)
1.4 key passes per 90
2.1 dribbles completed per 90
33 passes completed per 90
1.9 times dispossessed per 90
6 assists

Dele (2018/19)
1.3 key passes per 90
1.4 dribbles completed per 90
50 passes completed per 90
3 assists

Eriksen (2018/19)
2.4 key passes per 90
0.6 dribbles completed per 90
61 passes completed per 90
0.9 times dispossessed per 90
12 assists

Lamela (2018/19)
1.5 key passes per 90
1.8 dribbles completed per 90
39 passes completed per 90
1.8 times dispossessed per 90
2 assists

Kane (2018/19)
1.1 key passes per 90
1.5 dribbles completed per 90
20 passes completed per 90
1.6 times dispossessed per 90
4 assists

Thanks mate.

So just looking at that apart from Kane (CF), Moura has the least amount of key passes per 90 and the least amount of completed passes per 90.

Don't get me wrong I like him a lot, but it does seem a reason that he is not an immediate 1st choice.

Yeah fair enough.

As I said that's the impression I get when watching him.

If anyone can put up stats on his attacking (forward/completed/key etc) passes when compared to Son, Dele, Eriksen etc I would be grateful. bus-conductor bus-conductor ?

Borodin55 Borodin55

He went the whole of last season without creating a single PL assist, which for a player who played over 2000 minutes, all in forward positions, is immensely unimpressive. In terms of key passes, it doesn't get much better, he was 11th best in our squad with an average of 0.8 a game, just over a a third of Eriksen's 2.1 (best) even less than KWP's 1.2. In terms of seeing the ball and passes made, again, not to good, he was 20th in our squad averaging 22.6 passes a game.

Even his goal scoring, 10 PL goals, took him more minutes than Son's 12, and 5 of them came in two games.

To be fair to him, I have no idea why Poch keeps using him as a CF, it really doesn't suit him or play to his strengths, at PSG he always played as either a wide right forward or wide left forward (or ALM/ARM) in their 433, where he could utilise his energy, speed and run at defenders from wide. But even then he was always a bit like PSG's "Lennon", a player with good energy, some ability, who playing for a boss team against much weaker opposition every week was a decent enough option, but was always short of "top levelness".

Poch seems to have turned him from a luxury Lennon to a not so much Luxury Defoe. Meh.

Thanks mate.

So just looking at that apart from Kane (CF), Moura has the least amount of key passes per 90 and the least amount of completed passes per 90.

Don't get me wrong I like him a lot, but it does seem a reason that he is not an immediate 1st choice.

And here is how he does defensively compared to the others:

Lucas (2018/19)
1.5 tackles per 90
1 interception per 90
1.1 fouls per 90

Son (2018/19)
1 tackles per 90
0.4 interceptions per 90
0.5 fouls per 90

Dele (2018/19)
1.6 tackles per 90
0.9 interceptions per 90
1.1 fouls per 90

Eriksen (2018/19)
1.3 tackles per 90
0.5 interceptions per 90
0.6 fouls per 90

Lamela (2018/19)
1.6 tackles per 90
0.6 interceptions per 90
2.1 fouls per 90

So whilst his attacking stats aren't the best with opposed to the others, he is more than capable defensively. The guys work rate cannot be questioned.

Honest question:

Think to start him he’s in a 4-3-3. With son and Kane. Which I think is worth the risk against some teams. (But he has to stay wide. Which he doesn’t always do).

Then you just need to pick your midfield 3.

From Winks, Alli, Eriksen, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Wanyama, Lamela, Dier and Skipp.

Have fun.

(Having him on the bench to chase a game in a 4-3-3 or very offensive 4-2-3-1 would probably be Pochs favoured option).

Back
Top Bottom