Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My first "home" game since Villa thought Timmy Gilet might actually do a job.

Doesn't feel like 4 years ago.

Still. Looking forward to being back in Tottenham. First beer opened.

Well that was fun. 2000 miles less than my last game and for more than 30 seconds of football but still glad to be back In n17.

As many people drinking In the ground an hour after the final whistle as before kick off after that performance = Levynomics.

All that way and less melt than a johnny with acecast.

A couple things: you neither addressed my points nor answered my questions that both pertained ONLY to you. And the other thing would be to close that html tag to get your reply out of the block quote.

Lastly, if your world is upset by how others react to things then you have bigger problems. You cannot control that. What you can control is addressing my points and answering my questions. Then we will be closer to solving this vexing issue for you. Actually, I've solved the vexing issue as have others. What we're trying to do here is bring it to your attention so you can make the solution your own.

Ahhh Oscar Wilde, a true genius and my second favourite person of all time. My number one is perhaps a strange choice but having read everything there is available on him and watched all of his films first prize has to go to W.C Fields.

So, after today a fitting quote from Wilde :thumbdown: Yes, simply has to be this one :
38v2is.jpg
Either those curtains go or i do!!.......genius correct. Also loved The picture of Dorian Gray. 😉

Three main problems:
- Moura and Son together is possible dynamite against teams that allows space to operate in, not at home against Newcastle.
- Winks can not be left to control our midfield and set the pace of our game. Not only is he poor defensively, he barely creates anything, and even his five-yards sideways passes were unprecise and slow as fuck. He made us very easy to defend against.
- Fucking Dean. Ever since he cheered for pur goal and got marked as a Spurs-friendly ref, he's been doing his best to rid himself of the mark by not giving us anything.

A couple things: you neither addressed my points nor answered my questions that both pertained ONLY to you. And the other thing would be to close that html tag to get your reply out of the block quote.

Lastly, if your world is upset by how others react to things then you have bigger problems. You cannot control that. What you can control is addressing my points and answering my questions. Then we will be closer to solving this vexing issue for you. Actually, I've solved the vexing issue as have others. What we're trying to do here is bring it to your attention so you can make the solution your own.

I genuinely hope this is your attempt at humour, rather than an attempt at 2 bob counselling.

Not sure they know each other: this is not the usual suspects - no Eriksen, Dele, Vertonghen, (Trippier), Dier, (Dembele). Just remember how long it took the team to work out that you could punt a big ball up to Llorente rather than drill it into space ahead of him to run on to...
This hilarious, sad, and true. And beyond that it took a while longer for Sonny and Lucas to realize that they need to be closer to the big man to benefit from his knockdowns. I think the first time is actually worked for all of them was the Ajax second game.

What on earth has happened to Danny Rose's concentration levels when it comes to defending? He used to be so much better than this.

In 16/17 he was good, after that he lost his place to Davies and only got it back when Ben picked up an injury. He’s well past his best and it’s obvious, we even put out a press release saying he was left out of our summer tour so he could find a new club. Poch didn’t think he would still be relying on him but our other options aren’t ready yet. Like Eriksen he didn’t think he would still be here.

I think we forget that a large part of the squad from 2 years ago has gone.

1. Trippier said he had a personal falling out behind the scenes and needed a change.
  2. Toby and Jan are into the last year of their contracts and both don't seem to want to sign, Jan dropped entirely for mysterious reasons.
  3. Rose spent the closing days of the transfer window at Watford after being told he could leave.
  4. Dier is the missing man, his form has fell off a cliff and he's barely been playing.
  5. Dembele was aging and was sold.
  6. Eriksen seems to be off
  7. Dele has apparently picked up injuries, probably from being rushed back too soon constantly

The soul of the squad has either been sold, injured, pissed off at the manager or running down their contract. Poch has been mentioning rebuilding a lot this season and he wasn't joking, clubs have cycles and we're approaching day 1 again. This squad has run its course, achieved all it can and will be broken up next year - and I don't think Poch will be here to rebuild it either. it's possible we will have an entirely new back 4 next year. This is no longer the "Young and talented" squad of 4-5 years ago.

You expect it from dickheads on the internet, but I swear we never used to have support like this at the ground - like someone said on here the other day, self-entitled man-children.
The games gone. Perhaps you should get some old timers together and...errrrmmm...make your support great again...

It wasn't the support that was shit today it was the players. And supporters back then are the same as now (minus the bonus 20% overt racism and violence) you were just younger and with wider eyes. The people haven't changed, your impression of them has. And to think differently is folly.

In 16/17 he was good, after that he lost his place to Davies and only got it back when Ben picked up an injury. He’s well past his best and it’s obvious, we even put out a press release saying he was left out of our summer tour so he could find a new club. Poch didn’t think he would still be relying on him but our other options aren’t ready yet. Like Eriksen he didn’t think he would still be here.
But why has his defending deteriorated so much? Because he doesn't want to be here?

What on earth has happened to Danny Rose's concentration levels when it comes to defending? He used to be so much better than this.

To be honest it doesnt bode well considering he didnt even go on the pre season tour because he was "exploring options."

Then there were rumours of a failed move to Watford on deadline day.

Unlikely his head is in the right place this season but with Davies injured he's had to play.

This might sound naïve, but I've always wondered why there aren't more set plays in open play "off the training ground" like you get in rugby or basketball. Obviously difficult to set up against an aggressive opponent, but matches like today, we had plenty of opportunities for an AM to set some up. E.g. Eriksen flashes a gang sign and Kane and Son make a double run with Lucas peeling off, Eriksen reads the defenders and either lobs, lays, or drives.

The beautiful game is free flowing, with instinctual creativity from gifted technical players, but when you're facing a bunkered defence, you get shit like today if you've not got a proper plan for unlocking it. We knew what they were gonna do, and yet we just passed it off, stood still, and hoped someone came up with some magic pass on the spot. Very little 1-2s, pass and move, driving, lay offs, etc.

There's a drill we see all the time where a player plays a ball to someone with back to goal on the edge of the box, he lays it off, and the initial passer runs up and blasts it. Try shit like that in the fucking game! Yes we'd lose possession quickly and more often, but surely against a bunkered team where we can win it back easier it's better than tapping it sideways for 3 minutes.

To be honest it doesnt bode well considering he didnt even go on the pre season tour because he was "exploring options."

Then there were rumours of a failed move to Watford on deadline day.

Unlikely his head is in the right place this season but with Davies injured he's had to play.
We all used to say that Poch was the Fullback Whisperer. Now Danny can't defend, Trippier was bombed out, Davies is marmite, and Aurier has been a clusterfuck and apparently wants out.

Back
Top Bottom