Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anthony Taylor (VAR) watched it from multiple angles and said 'no penalty', quite baffling.
He said he couldn’t find a reason to overturn the on field decision which was no foul because the referee didn’t see it.
Dean: I didn’t give it because I didn’t see it
VAR: Ok we’ll stick with your decision

Am I missing something

He said he couldn’t find a reason to overturn the on field decision which was no foul because the referee didn’t see it.
Dean: I didn’t give it because I didn’t see it
VAR: Ok we’ll stick with your decision

Am I missing something
Yeah, he should've said after one or maybe 2 replays "It's a stone wall penalty, give it". Not a single player on the pitch would've been surprised.

Yeah, he should've said after one or maybe 2 replays "It's a stone-wall penalty, give it". Not a single player on the pitch would've been surprised.
I would think that’s all that needed to be said, yeah Mike it’s a nailed on pen change your decision. Then Dean can claim I didn’t call it because I didn’t see it at the time.

Why didn’t this happen? As I said am I missing something

I would think that’s all that needed to be said, yeah Mike it’s a nailed on pen change your decision. Then Dean can claim I didn’t call it because I didn’t see it at the time.

Why didn’t this happen? As I said am I missing something
I think the worrying thing is that Taylor wasn't actually convinced that it was a penalty. And as I said, he had a perfect view of the incident as had people watching at home.

Thing is about Sunday, we had so much possession and couldn't break them down. Isn't it better against teams that deploy that tactic to give them the ball? Let them have it, play around in their midfield or defence and win the ball back high up the pitch. The turnover/confusion will create spaces and opportunities. If we keep the ball we will rarely break down a team with 2 banks of 4 that play that compact. especially with no width to get in behind.

Thing is about Sunday, we had so much possession and couldn't break them down. Isn't it better against teams that deploy that tactic to give them the ball? Let them have it, play around in their midfield or defence and win the ball back high up the pitch. The turnover/confusion will create spaces and opportunities. If we keep the ball we will rarely break down a team with 2 banks of 4 that play that compact. especially with no width to get in behind.

Thing is I'm not sure a middle ground - a kind of 'we have possession but want to tease you into having some' approach exists... Especially if a team is so fully committed to defend and counter like Newcastle and their 5/4/1 was.

Even Mouriniho ball relies on world-class players to work magic; that's why he was successful; he insists on the best of both worlds.... Reliant on quality when he MUST be proactive against far inferior sides.

Thing is I'm not sure a middle ground - a kind of 'we have possession but want to tease you into having some' approach exists... Especially if a team is so fully committed to defend and counter like Newcastle and their 5/4/1 was.

Even Mouriniho ball relies on world-class players to work magic; that's why he was successful; he insists on the best of both worlds.... Reliant on quality when he MUST be proactive against far inferior sides.
Agreed but giving Newcastle the ball could have worked. They only ever looked for their centre forward and if we cut that off they'd be forced to play the ball about. Or boot it into the stands at any given moment...

Agreed but giving Newcastle the ball could have worked. They only ever looked for their centre forward and if we cut that off they'd be forced to play the ball about. Or boot it into the stands at any given moment...

Tactically speaking, how do you "give" a team the ball that's not set up to possess it? ...Especially if they do manage to get a goal in front.

All I can envisage is two teams both sitting off and amounting to these null cup finals that occasionally transpire where both are too scared to lose.

Tactically speaking, how do you "give" a team the ball that's not set up to possess it? ...Especially if they do manage to get a goal in front.

All I can envisage is two teams both sitting off and amounting to these null cup finals that occasionally transpire where both are too scared to lose.
Lose the ball to them? easily give it to their defenders or midfielders and stand off as you say. It won't be like the cup finals as we would press when we need to but it just needs to be organised and pre-meditated. Lure the other team into a false sense of security.

Giving them possession will naturally take them up the pitch, theres no point in us completely dominating the ball if we cannot break them down.

Agreed though, its harder when we are 1-0 down but it was a similar approach to the game before they got their goal.

You'd think so.

I think a key is not to panic in games like that - our intensity dropped considerably when we conceded. Before that, I genuinely thought we'd smash them. We were playing some nice stuff, players looked confident and we were pressing very well but as soon as Newcastle scored, it almost shocked us. The confidence levels dropped, we opted to play it safe as to not lose the ball and potentially concede again.

What you're saying to do is what we did against Everton last year - we almost invited them on to us through the middle because we knew we could pick them off on the attack. And we did so, smashing the 6-2.

Wouldn't surprise me if Woolwich sit back and allow us to have all the possession at the weekend and just aim to knock it long to Pepe and Aubamayang.

We missed having a different option up top. At least with llorente we could play it long and 9/10 we would get a knock down to runners. Finally watched the highlights and it is even worse on second showing. Zero invention, zero pace , 3 or 4 touches when 1 would suffice.

The "clear and obvious" thing will have to be sorted out. It's too subjective and means that VAR can just be ignored when they fancy it. "Clear and obvious" can mean totally different things to different people.

Not moaning too much as we've had a lot of good fortune with VAR and it was inevitable that eventually we wouldn't have things go our way. But if it is going to work we need to know how it is operating and it requires guidelines that aren't so open to interpretation.
I thought he dived.

Wouldn't surprise me if Woolwich sit back and allow us to have all the possession at the weekend and just aim to knock it long to Pepe and Aubamayang.
Then will need Eriksen and GLC more than ever . Much needed creativity to open them up to have any chance.
Not sideway shuffle or non technical Sissoko midfield playing right into their hands .

2 banks of 4?
5-4-1at best

I thought he dived.
7c1b3e4baa21bd608e28aef679b67a6f.jpg

We were playing some nice stuff, players looked confident and we were pressing very well but as soon as Newcastle scored, it almost shocked us. The confidence levels dropped, we opted to play it safe as to not lose the ball and potentially concede again.
Very rare I disagree with you tots but I thought we were awful from kick - we didn’t have a shot until the 33rd minute ! Against what I still believe is one of the worst teams in the lge - we have been playing shite for too long - I get more and more concerned as the football gets worse and worse -

Finally watched some highlights.

Lucas Moura.

He has to score. First half a decent chance. Second half it’s basically an open goal.

They are the margins in this league.

If Lucas scores two huge chances like the ones you mentioned and Kane doesn't fluff one from barely 6-7 yards then it's a different story. The same with regards to the penalty decision which I still can't quite believe wasn't overturned. Lascelles was clumsy, that impacted Kane's ability to get his shot away regardless of if it was intentional or if Kane lent into him etc and as such it's a foul. Rewarded for clumsiness on a football pitch? What a load of shit!

On another day we could have had 4-5 then again on another day Man City could have wiped the floor with us. That's football, it happens and we just have to accept that.

The positive out of it all is that there's going to be very little if any other games this season where we are without Lo Celso, Eriksen and Dele from the off. For me they're our 1st, 2nd and 3rd best AMs and we had to make do with Son, Lucas and Lamela (4th, 5th & 6th on the list) which creatively is a killer. Such a shame we couldn't just grind it out and get a little something drop along the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom