Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
You can of course support both and fanatically, but country over club is very dubious, but it's not like you really have to choose.
Why is it "very dubious"?

Consider that you're talking to a Yank who's been a lifelong football fan, whose country has never won the WC, and who has been a Spurs supporter since 2013 (the year I was finally able to watch the PL somewhat regularly).

While I wasn't "born" into supporting Spurs (for obvious reasons) I don't think I'm any less of a fan because of some hypothetical question where either outcome literally has anything to do with the other.

Edit:

I think you have to consider what winning a WC would do for football in the US. Winning the WC would be massive for England football fans, but it's not going to make the sport any popular than it already is in England. Whereas if the US were to miraculously win one, it could change the future of the sport in our country for the better. Could change it.

Last edited:
The fact it's even a question shows how little TalkShite understand about how football support works...

It's the same irritating assumption that the media make for any half decent football match "Being great for the Neutral"
...fuck the Neutral!
The neutral doesn't have his/her weekend ruined because of a last minute disallowed 'winning' goal... the 'neutral' didn't follow their club 150 miles up the M1 in 1982 for a midweek cup tie they lost, and had to travel back down the 150 miles in total silence!

ANY assumption that National football matters more to fans than club football is as out of touch, as it is naive!
You've only got to take THIS scenario into account;

Spurs win the League = all Woolwich fans are upset...
England win the World Cup = LOADS of Woolwich fans are happy....

Now be honest, what would you rather?
Unless a Spurs player plays or scores, I genuinely struggle to show much interest in the National team...
That goes for ANY National team btw...
If Argentina (with Lamela, Lo Celso, Foyth) played an England team WITHOUT any Spurs players in (for example) ...I know who I'd suppprt!

I only care about WC and Euro. Tottenham is part of my life the whole year. My dad cannot understand it, but what can you do.
We are a country for just 30 years,so it's bit different.

Up to about the age of 25, which was 20 years ago I would have said England.

Then the tossers started playing for us and I kind of fell out of love with the England team.

Now it’s closer again, I like this England team.

I would still say Spurs buts it’s closer than it was.

Up to about the age of 25, which was 20 years ago I would have said England.

Then the tossers started playing for us and I kind of fell out of love with the England team.

Now it’s closer again, I like this England team.

I would still say Spurs buts it’s closer than it was.
Is that because half the team are Spurs?

Club 100%...
My parents where Irish and i was taken to Wembley by my old man in 1976 to watch England v Eire as a kid i wanted the new England admiral kit but didn't get it..boohoo but I did see walking up Wembley way a black man with a leather Jacket on and a green scarf around his neck.
That man was Phil Lynott of Thin lizzy and from that day and the Dundalk game at home 81 I followed the Republic of Ireland.
My friends started a supporters club in London in 1984 and I have seen the world with Ireland but nothing beats seeing Spurs win lose or draw.

I think if I was Irish I’d likely err on the side of seeing my country win the World Cup over my club winning the league. It would be a true footballing miracle if that happened so my club would have to take a back seat. England ( I know it arrogant to say it) but England are supposed to win world cups.

By the way, most of the Irish that I know are offended by the name Eire.

I think if I was Irish I’d likely err on the side of seeing my country win the World Cup over my club winning the league. It would be a true footballing miracle if that happened so my club would have to take a back seat. England ( I know it arrogant to say it) but England are supposed to win world cups.

By the way, most of the Irish that I know are offended by the name Eire.

I live in the Republic and found that too.... I discovered this statement from Mel Farrell, a lecturer in Irish History that may explain why...
Well, there are two jurisdictions on the island. The term 'Ireland' applies to whole island. English people may have seized on the term 'Eire' because it gave them an excuse not say 'Ireland'. They wanted to avoid describing the Southern Ireland team as 'Ireland' so 'Eire' demarcates the fact that it is the 26 county team they are talking about. This was in the era that the Republic of Ireland used to claim the territory of the whole island.
It is harking back to an era that is obsolete. The term 'Eire' went out of fashion in the late 1940s. But, it continued to be used in England. People don't use the term 'Espania' for Spain, or 'Deutschland' for Germany. There is a sense that other people think that Ireland is being singled out.

I live in the Republic and found that too.... I discovered this statement from Mel Farrell, a lecturer in Irish History that may explain why...

Having read that I get the gist of what she’s saying but the for instance relating to Espania ' for Spain, or 'Deutschland' for Germany is a bad example as those people use those terms always. As she says it’s out- dated and I’d agree an insult!

Club. Every time. It was cool when Albania qualified for the first time in a major tournament (Euro 2016) and when we scored our first goal there, or when we beat the likes of France/Greece etc, but it does not even come close to the feeling of when Moura scored v Ajax, or that disallowed goal of City. Even though nothing compares to listening to your national anthem before a football game, Spurs have made me cry, Albania hasn't (and since I'm Balkanic, I'm much more patriotic/moron than most of the world when it comes to my country)

I'm Swedish, i really don't have the problem with bindippers, Gooners and so on in my national team. I don't want to have to choose. But if I did, I'd probably go with the national team. My greatest football memory is World Cup -94. We came third. On the other hand if we seal the title in that last home game against Leicester this spring, when I'm there, it will definitely top a World Cup in front of the TV. So let's.

Last edited:
I`m not a football fan - I`m a Spurs fan.

You can insult my country, but not my club.

I was 15 when i walked up High Road from Seven Sisters first time.

Coming from a foreign country seeing White Hart Lane in front of me for the very first time was like coming home.
I will never forget how the club with chairman S. Wale approach me when i was wondering around inside the old west stand, down the corridors where i was not supposed to be. The way they treated me and even let me have lunch with them will be my fondest memory of Spurs till i die.

COYS

I think you have to consider what winning a WC would do for football in the US. Winning the WC would be massive for England football fans, but it's not going to make the sport any popular than it already is in England. Whereas if the US were to miraculously win one, it could change the future of the sport in our country for the better. Could change it.

One thing to understand about American soccer fans is that we are above all else evangelists for the game itself, born of growing up in a country where the game was obscure and made fun of.

Maybe that's less true of the teens these days, but anyone on the wrong side of 30 knows about being shit on by Americans for being a soccer fan and by soccer fans for being an American. The US winning the World Cup would be the ultimate vindication for that.

Good for the blood pressure though!!
That's pretty much the only main plus!

The only TWO reasons I can see for putting Country above club, are to be able to watch a (let's say) WC Semi final with all the vested interest and potential excitement of seeing your Country win... without any of the 'life affecting' ruin if they/We lose!
When Spurs lose, I feel physically sick... when England lose, I am at least comforted that there are people feeling itca LOT worse than me!

Also, I almost feel that International football ISN'T (by definition) really FOR the supporters of the really big clubs.. as it gives club fans from across the country a chance to see the cream of the country playing for 'their' team!

Rochdale and Blackpool fans don't get to see Harry Kane playing for their own team... but they can if they follow England!

Back
Top Bottom