Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yup they could have - the point I made was that we played with very different tactics in both games compared to last year and we got better results - frankly we had huge luck against City, and no luck against Woolwich and anyway it's just two games .... we will see at the end of the season ... my point was that it's great to see a manager try new tactics especially against the big teams

What Poch needs to do now is get us back on track beating the "little" teams .....
The pressing seems to have gone off a bit. Not a bad thing for Harry as he seems to run himself into the ground every match. He’ll end up like Rooney if he’s not careful although he did start a bit later.

Media reports can always be misinterpreted and made to suit both sides of an argument. The part that puzzles me is why Poch feels the need to talk about what should preferably be kept in house. Surely he is not that naive to think if he tells the media he has had a one hour meeting with players to try and "re-focus" on the season that headlines such as 'crisis talks' will appear.
Why are we washing our dirty laundry in public ?.

Wouldn't it have been much more diplomatic to say "We are obviously disappointed with losing at home to Newcastle and allowing Woolwich to come back from being 2-0 down. These are matters we are concentrating on internally with the squad and hopefully will be resolved soon".

No need to refer to a special one hour meeting at all, that just stirs up rumours of discontent.

Wouldn't it have been much more diplomatic to say "We are obviously disappointed with losing at home to Newcastle and allowing Woolwich to come back from being 2-0 down. These are matters we are concentrating on internally with the squad and hopefully will be resolved soon".

No need to refer to a special one hour meeting at all, that just stirs up rumours of discontent.
Even that innocuous staement would be misinterpreted.

Headlines:

Poch blasts players
Poch blames squad
Poch is losing the dressing room
Poch calls crisis meeting

So your just naturally always negative .... whatever works for you .... sad that you think your constant negativity actually brings enjoyment for others, I let you into a little secret. it doesn't.

"Always look on the bright side of life" you should make that your mantra it's hard for us Spurs fans we're so used to getting the dark side ... but honestly you don't need to support like that.

These are the good days ... days fans of 90% of all clubs in the UK professional system will never get to enjoy ... make the most of them, be happy ....

I don’t always look on the bright side of life though...that doesn’t make me negative, it just means I’m not scared of things not always being good.

I’m not afraid of conflict, or disappointment.

That’s life. Pretending everything is good all the time, when it’s not, serves no purpose, and doesn’t allow for improvement or mental growth.

But go ahead........live by the laws of “be happy that your wife cheated on you because at least you don’t have cancer eh!!!!”

Not for me thanks.

Good point .... but in my defence I don't claim to support any of these negative losers, negativity is just hate in a different format ...

I've yet to see a definition of "supporter" that includes in the definition slag of owner/manager/players ... there's a difference between constructive criticism and just cunting individuals off week after week (Blakey on Sissoko) or trolling new signings "was a bench player for a crap Fulham last season. Don't expect to see him much besides the odd carabao cup games" a player who's yet to start ...

Seriously why do they bother?

A bit like the children who run around disagreeing with every post ... why?

A supporters role is quite simple - it’s to safeguard the interests of the club and hold those who represent it to account. Chairman, managers and players come and go - the supporters are the only constant. There is nothing wrong with a a consistent pattern of criticism - if a supporter can provide a rationale for this. And the starting basis shouldn’t be to simply attack that person or complain about a negative mindset ( which is pointless because this is entirely subjective). The starting basis should be to see if there is an any actual merit in their statement and if not challenge it and not the person. From my experience on here far too many lack the skill to do the latter.

Even that innocuous statement would be misinterpreted.

Headlines:

Poch blasts players
Poch blames squad
Poch is losing the dressing room
Poch calls crisis meeting

True but it doesn't actually refer to a specific meeting or apportioning blame to any individual. Defeats are always the responsibility of the manager and squad and by using terms like 'we' implies a united front with no 'blame' being attached, simply a current problem that is obvious to everyone in football and is hopefully being dealt with.

The media can twist anything as I said. Poch would be best advised to keep his own counsel. I may not have liked Ferguson but throughout his tenure at Utd he tried to keep internal club/player matters off the agenda when having media talks unless it was to his advantage. He was a cunning old bastard to say the least where press conferences were concerned.

A supporters role is quite simple - it’s to safeguard the interests of the club and hold those who represent it to account. Chairman, managers and players come and go - the supporters are the only constant. There is nothing wrong with a a consistent pattern of criticism - if a supporter can provide a rationale for this. And the starting basis shouldn’t be to simply attack that person or complain about a negative mindset ( which is pointless because this is entirely subjective). The starting basis should be to see if there is an any actual merit in their statement and if not challenge it and not the person. From my experience on here far too many lack the skill to do the latter.

I agree with what you are basically saying about your postings and the whole crux of the matter is that any criticism must be seen to be constructive and well intentioned towards the club. Simply posting negative statements regarding performances or the manager without explanation or reasoning for doing so will immediately antagonise people who view such remarks as merely 'doom and gloom'.

One day Poch will leave Spurs, no time scale but it will happen. When it does a new manager will come in and impose his personality and management technique. He will only be able to make changes by examining the old Poch set up with new critical eyes and looking for ways to improve things. That's not being negative and the supporters will hopefully give him time to get his plans to work. No one will simply come in and say "Carry on lads, as you were".

The point I am trying to (poorly) make is that it is only by constructive critical analysis of a situation that improvements can be made. I find nothing fundamentally wrong with your postings (that in no way implies I agree with them though) and understand that you seek a rational response to your questions instead of a barrage of insults.

This is, after all, a forum and everyone should be allowed a voice. I am quite sure many of us hold certain views that we do not perhaps post on here for fear of reprisal and it is also quite easy to post what we think readers want to hear. So for that I admire your stance and would never question your objectives are with the best interests of the club at heart, as you see it.

It would be nice occasionally to read something positive coming from your corner and maybe put some 'balance' to your rhetoric on here. It surely cannot be all bad under Poch, even from your standpoint ??

Last edited:
Spurs 1-0 down at home to Newcastle after 10 minutes. Lose 1-0, don’t threaten.

Liverpool 1-0 down at home to Newcastle after 10 minutes, 2-1 up on 40 minutes and attacking non stop.

But it’s not tactical, it’s the transfer window
(Where we spent 130M and Liverpool spent 0)

Media reports can always be misinterpreted and made to suit both sides of an argument. The part that puzzles me is why Poch feels the need to talk about what should preferably be kept in house. Surely he is not that naive to think if he tells the media he has had a one hour meeting with players to try and "re-focus" on the season that headlines such as 'crisis talks' will appear.
Why are we washing our dirty laundry in public ?.

It looks as though he wants out.

I don’t always look on the bright side of life though...that doesn’t make me negative, it just means I’m not scared of things not always being good.

I’m not afraid of conflict, or disappointment.

That’s life. Pretending everything is good all the time, when it’s not, serves no purpose, and doesn’t allow for improvement or mental growth.

But go ahead........live by the laws of “be happy that your wife cheated on you because at least you don’t have cancer eh!!!!”

Not for me thanks.

We're talking about supporting our football team not your wife's infidelity ... although I think we might be seeing where your negativity comes from ... when it comes to "support" you have to look on the bright side otherwise you're little more than a spectator ....

That's a shareholder .... are you're getting confused?

A supporter supports his club - his manager - his players on a wet Thursday in feck knows where even when they're 3-0 down and it's snowing .... he doesn't ever give up, he can't it's in his DNA.

A whining troll finds a consistent pattern of criticism ... and you're right there are far to many of them

We are all Spurs fans here, I'm delighted that we won today, and all is good in the world.

but Poch still has a question mark for me till he wins a trophy.

So by all means come back with the "I told you so" when he wins a trophy, until then, you don't have a point

Give it a rest for gods sake.

I cant be arsed to explain why thats ridiculous. Theres plenty of those posts already.

Cant you just enjoy us being a top team?

Back
Top Bottom