Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could the problem be Poch is too busy predicting all the problems he perceives we'll have that he's not focusing on the actual problems we might have?

I think there's definitely an element of that.

I get the impression that Poch feels at his best when he's 'firefighting'; he's trying to emulate Mourinho in creating that 'backs to the wall' mentality, based on our financial circumstance. I think he's so bought into the idea of frugality and injuries that he's overcomplicating everything. It's almost as if he doesn't know what to do when he has a full squad.

Just pick the best 11 players. And play them straight for the next ten games. If someone needs a rest, sub out. That's it. No more, no less. Especially when it comes to the back four.

Gazza
Aurier Toby sanchez Davies
Dier winks
Son lamela ndombele
Kane

Leave Toby out; he's made it clear that he's not interested in staying. So Foyth if he's fit, or Dier if he's not. I really don't care if neither are as good as Toby as long as they are committed to the club.

And why not Hugo? Gazzaniga is hardly a replacement.

I think there's definitely an element of that.

I get the impression that Poch feels at his best when he's 'firefighting'; he's trying to emulate Mourinho in creating that 'backs to the wall' mentality, based on our financial circumstance. I think he's so bought into the idea of frugality and injuries that he's overcomplicating everything. It's almost as if he doesn't know what to do when he has a full squad.

Just pick the best 11 players. And play them straight for the next ten games. If someone needs a rest, sub out. That's it. No more, no less. Especially when it comes to the back four.
His whole "Season can start when the European transfer window closes" spiel was a bit mental though. It kinda hinted to me that he couldn't function without CE, and ironically, it looks like he can't!

Leave Toby out; he's made it clear that he's not interested in staying. So Foyth if he's fit, or Dier if he's not. I really don't care if neither are as good as Toby as long as they are committed to the club.

And why not Hugo? Gazzaniga is hardly a replacement.
Jan's been shit so far. Not sure if lloris is back or if he's got a problem.

I don't understand how you've conjured this theory in your head because they play in completely different areas of the pitch, but going back to the beginning of last season Rose and Lamela have only started on the pitch together 8 times (6 being during our terrible run of form this season) and we have won 4 - 50% win ratio. In that time period that pairing have not started on the field at the same time 58 times, we have won 34 of those, don't think this is the key to all our problems mate.
It is not from my head but my gut feeling like I said. Thanks for looking up the stats. I didn't even quite understand your breakdown but if one thinks the combo playing together isn't too bad stat wise then I guess that's comforting enough. Rose plays too wild for a defender and Lamela takes too long for me. Just came to me that the two funky could not be good for the team

Thstd when we were going for the perfection thou. Maybe the combo is relatively our strong part now lol

Eriksen categorically cannot play.

We need Lamela and Ndombele to step up and create our chances. Winks needs to chip in too.

Think we'll win. Southampton will actually come at us, which will help.

It's Brighton where we'll struggle. Could easily see us losing that to a scrappy goal.

Agree however if Winks is still playing the DM role I wouldn’t expect him to chip in playing further back, only if Dier comes in as DM would I expect significant contribution. Lamela and Ndombele yes certainly and yeh I’d be surprised if Eriksen is playing, his head is in cloud land.

Sorry but you can't bench Sissoko and Lucas for out of form ndombele and just back from fitness Dier.

I agree Sissoko should play, but Dier should play instead of Toby "I'm not interested anymore".

We may need Lucas if we get a pen and Eriksen's not around to take it. :deledoubt:

Anyway it's all bollocks because Toby, Jan, Rose and Eriksen will play and Lucas will come off the bench in the 88th minute.

Isn’t it nice that Tottenham aren’t playing today so they can’t possibly ruin my day.

Last edited:
Hopefully the atmosphere at the game is ok from the start. Whatever the team we have to get behind them. It's going to be a tough afternoon

Back
Top Bottom