Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (28-09-19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

By "staying tight" I meant in the 18 yard box, it's impossible to stay tight to everyone with only 10 men.

The point I was making was, if any team attacks more down one side they will inevitably get more crosses from that side in.

For example

Attacks............................Crosses into box.......................% of def. success in stopping attack
Down Left 20...........................10...........................................................50%
Down Right 10..........................8............................................................20%

So although more crosses came in from the left, the defenders were more succesfull in stopping attacks down that side.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Tell yourself what you want Stevee. Ignore the facts/stats, ignore the fact that we’ve constantly coughed up games for the last few months through sloppy defending to the point where even Poch is saying we need to eradicate it.

If you want to think that we defended our right side well yesterday, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
Just watched the full game and it felt like a few players clicked yesterday. Ndombele was Moussa reincarnated yesterday in that midfield was everywhere at both ends of the field. Eriksen before the sending off played some nice stuff but once he was forced to move back he didn't look comfortable. Jan, Rose and Toby looked like there old selves defense wise and Sonny was lively.

Biggest difference for me was Kane first time in 6 months or more he looked like his old self he was dominating defenders physically again was great to see. Lloris had one of his brain farts but did very well second half. All in all great team effort and hope this gets the lads to stick together and fight again at least until we can get reinforcements in January

Bloody Aurier, such a talent yet such an idiot.

Weird game, we could easily have lost that in the same way we could have easily beaten Leicester. I suppose the difference being is that’s Saints after half time had all the impetus from our sending off rather than us being stupid (Lloris mistake aside).

Winks and Kane great throughout, Ndombele has such talent, soon as he is fit and used to the league he will be a star. Sissoko doing a good job at RB and Son and Eriksen pretty decent.

Think Winks and Ndombele will eventually build a great partnership once they are up and running but I have to say I’d love us to play or buy a DM and let both of them off the chain.

We’re going to beat Liverpool at Anfield in a few weeks time aren’t we?
You all know we are....
:tobyarm:
A56-FCC9-A-6262-4259-BC26-AD603-DACB074.gif

One question - why is Nathan Redmon not facing a FA charge of simulation??
He got Aurier sent off for barely any contact if any. The FA have charged other players this season so is this going to be consistently applied or is there a different rule for Tottenham??

So
Southampton are right up there in the chart of 'winning ball back in opposition half' - no surprise that their main tactical focus worked well against us when it does against everyone else as well.
Southampton are a pretty decent team, make no mistake. To win 2 -0 ( I don't count Lloris' brain fart as a real goal) against them with 10 men is a real achievement. I don't understand the negative posts. Can anyone explain to me what goes through the mind of these people?
Doesn't anything make them happy?

Hugo made 2 excellent saves in the 2nd half to stop certain goals. Excellent shot stopping, just didn't understand how such an experienced GK could have made such an amateur series of mistakes leading to their goal.
Lloris has always had the potential to concede a goal in that way. Thinks he's a footballer - but he's not, he's a goalie. And he got a sharp reminder of it.

One question - why is Nathan Redmon not facing a FA charge of simulation??
He got Aurier sent off for barely any contact if any. The FA have charged other players this season so is this going to be consistently applied or is there a different rule for Tottenham??

Aurier pulled at Redmond's shorts, which is technically a yellow card offence, given as a yellow card in the majority of cases.

Reason why Aurier was sent off was that he did that 3 minutes after a likely red card offence was given as a yellow card.

So 10/10 for Aurier ignoring the earning of being given a warning yellow card and showing his lack of brain power by purposely doing a 2nd yellow card offence in full view of the referee. Asking the ref to make s decision made the red card inevitable

So Redmond didn't get Aurier sent off, Auriers stupidity did

Back
Top Bottom