Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some people said that a year ago if not more

Just saying
I think everyone is coming around now. Ideal scenario would be that he stays, love the man and the transformation he’s played, but these pampered cocks have given up and don’t want to play in this system. He (Poch) seems to also have given up and isn’t working to the best interest of the team or club. It’s a mess. He’s clearly waiting for the sack or another club.

He should be walking.

I think everyone is coming around now. Ideal scenario would be that he stays, love the man and the transformation he’s played, but these pampered cocks have given up and don’t want to play in this system. He (Poch) seems to also have given up and isn’t working to the best interest of the team or club. It’s a mess. He’s clearly waiting for the sack or another club.

He should be walking.
Have the players given up or are some players comfortable in going through the motions and knowing they are safe and will be picked regardless.

Poch is to blame for whatever has gone wrong, but his constant picking of Jan, Toby and Danny as a default is killing us. Serge is more up and down than a hoor's knickers, but the other three have been constantly shite.

Dav keeps getting the blame, but I can't think of one goal he has cost us this season unlike the other four around him today.

Have the players given up or are some players comfortable in going through the motions and knowing they are safe and will be picked regardless.

Poch is to blame for whatever has gone wrong, but his constant picking of Jan, Toby and Danny as a default is killing us. Serge is more up and down than a hoor's knickers, but the other three have been constantly shite.

Dav keeps getting the blame, but I can't think of one goal he has cost us this season unlike the other four around him today.

Nail on

2016/2017 we were killing it with 343. I dunno why peeps have this fixed mentality that 3 at the back = doom for us... Let's also not forget that we made the switch when we did because we were creating fuck all in a 4231 at the time. Evidently the situation is a bit more complex than 4231 or bust (we used to hear the same thing about 442 if you go back far enough).

I agree about "will without tactics", but tactics are what you play within a given formation; they're not implicitly dictated by said chosen formation.

agree with this, about tactics, but one of the reasons it worked in 16/17 was that it was actually a 3421 which pretty much put everyone where they are best, balanced out skills and dynamics. Dier (a CB) as a CB, two CM’s who could play a double pivot, Wanyama (a 6/DM) asa 6/Dm, Dembele as the 6/8 hybrid the FB’s as wb’s, Eriksen as the 8/10 link, Alli almost as a false 9/10 link, and Kane as the fulcrum. It wasn’t perfect but at least We pressed properly, we transitioned much better both ways, with and without the ball, because the format and selections were more intuitive and enabled or facilitated the tactical application.

what we’ve had since, in varying degrees, is the wrong players, the wrong format - often both - which is hindering the tactical application.

we are playing double pivots like today with neither player very good defensively,one of them doesn’t want the ball under pressure and doesn’t play any incisive passes at all, even through the middle of the pitch.

We push our fb’s right up, but don’t play a midfield that can keep them fed offensively or cover their arses defensively (as Wanyama and Dembele to a degree could).

Without Eriksen (or NDombele now) our offensive play lacks incision orcomposure completely. Lo Celso will help this.

Moura creates absolutely fuck all for anyone. Alli and Son create very little, it speaks volumes that not one of our attacking players - Moura, Son, Alli, Lamela - is s nailed on starter. They are all so fucking inconsistent.

But none of them are helped by Poch’s refusal time play them in a format that would at least maximise their strengths. So we get Moura as a striker, (we even had Kane doing his fucking water carrying today) Alli as the Eriksen or wide forward.

it’s a fucking mess.

4 years ago when we were winning for fun and going for the title, we had the youngest squad int he league.
Now we have the 16th youngest in the league..

It’s the same fucking squad that’s why..

Crazy situation to be in..
True, but at the crucial time we had two transfer windows to start to rectify that. To refresh, rejuvenate. Challenge those who saw themselves as undroppable.

A significant number of regulars here (including some who are shitting the bed the most now) were totally down with that approach. Those who weren't were vilified as being "new fan types", "Sky transfer window fans" and the like. Not a single one of the former group has ever suggested that they may have been wrong, even slightly.

Others, sometimes the same, overly hyped our yootdem, seemingly oblivious to the fact that (a) they hadn't challenged for the top spots in their leagues for a couple of seasons and (b) those that were out on loan, to piss-poor teams in the main, were struggling to get a start. Both those two facts are very evident this season too.

Last edited:
Back from match. Ratings/comments

Gazzaniga - 5. OK for the most part but shaky for one or two moments when tested. Need to upgrade on him and Lloris.

Aurier - 4. One good, goal-saving tackle but he's easily one of the dumbest players I've seen wear our shirt. Some of his first-time crossing is actually pretty good but he's a liability, always mistakes/brainless play in him. Need to upgrade.
Alderweireld - 3. Very bad today. Been a great player for us but running down his contract. Also his stand out feature (pinpoint accurate long passing) has become one of his worst features recently.
Vertonghen - 3. Love him, borderline legend for me, but another one who is running down his contract.
Davinson - 5. I think he's majorly regressed over the past 18 months but by far and away not our worst player today, and not helped by more experienced CBs having a 'mare.
Rose - 2/3. I toyed with a 2 here. Been very poor recently. I still think he gives everything but he's regressed so much. Seems to have lost his pace and power.

Winks - 5. Too many misplaced passes but tried hard and actually kept the play ticking over when we were crap. But you can't play him and Sissoko together at CM - offers nothing creatively.
Sissoko - 5.5. You can't fault this guy's effort. He's so limited but he actually gets stuck in and breaks the play up. I'd be tempted to stick with him alongside a more attack-minded CM for now.
Alli - 6.5. Started slowly but grew into the game and was easily our best player in the last 20 minutes. I don't think you can fault his commitment either.
Moura - 5. Doesn't offer much if he doesn't score.

Kane - 2/3. Love him, love him but offered bugger all today. Hate that he's England captain - plays the full 90 *every* international and scores for them, and comes back knackered for us. What's up with his first touch?

Subs:
Son - 6. Unlucky not to score. Giving his all if not at his best today.
Lamela - 6.5. Alongside Alli, I thought he was our best player.
N'Dombele - 6.5. I like this guy. He's not match fit but he's got talent as well as speed and power. I'd play him alongside Sissoko at CM when he's up to speed.

Overall: very poor. Far too negative a midfield, and (as usual) Poch waiting way too long to make subs. Not sure how much of our dire form you can put on him though - will write in the Poch Out thread.

Btw, I think in a way 1-1 is worse than 0-1 as it papers over the cracks. This is an awful result at home against an abject team. Not good enough for our club.

Team selection cost us the game

Depressing

Too many things wrong

We are back to Sir Alan Sugar days thanks to Levy

Harry will go and no one can blame him

The team and Levy is not fit for the new stadium

Everyone around me in the stadium is fed up

This was the easiest match this season against a team bottom of the pl

We have the worst chairman in the pl when comes to transfer windows (not only he signed no one for full season but he sold Dembele) and winning trophies

We won’t go very far with current combination of chairman and manager, one of them has to give way, ideally both

Depressing

Too many things wrong

We have the worst chairman in the pl when comes to transfer windows (not only he signed no one for full season but he sold Dembele) and winning trophies

We won’t go very far with current combination of chairman and manager, one of them has to give way, ideally both
A massive opportunity was squandered last summer.
I think it'll take around 4-5 years to recover lost ground.
With or without Poch.

True, but at the crucial time we had two transfer windows to start to rectify that. To refresh, rejuvenate. Challenge those who saw themselves as undroppable.

A significant number of regulars here (including some who are shitting the bed the most now) were totally down with that approach. Those who weren't were vilified as being "new fan types", "Sky transfer window fans" and the like. Not a single one of the former group has ever suggested that they may have been wrong, even slightly.

Others, sometimes the same, overly hyped our yootdem, seemingly oblivious to the fact that (a) they hadn't challenged for the top spots in their leagues for a couple of seasons and (b) those that were out on loan, to piss-poor teams in the main, were struggling to get a start. Both those two facts are very evident this season too.
Well we know who shut those windows causing the current chaos. And poor old Poch is taking the blame. Well, ENIC have got their events centre which is all they ever wanted in the 1st place to make them even more money. The place is going to be pimped out the yobs in the NFL, various acts and God knows what else. Meanwhile, to help pay for that, Levy closed the bank, twice, and he KNEW what would happen......and he just didn't care. He's no love for the club imo and it's ended up with an unhappy team and even unhappier fans. The only winners in the present scenario are ENIC and Levy. And you can bet that if the events centre doesn't make the profits that they're hoping, Spurs will be up for sale. And if that happens, I wonder where we'll be playing. Hackney Marshes probably.

Depressing

Too many things wrong

We have the worst chairman in the pl when comes to.... winning trophies

Christ you spout some absolute drive!

Who built the stadium?

75% of the league don't win trophies (even Liverpool have just gone 10 years without a trophy!). What's more most of the fuckers barely muster up a decent cup run through fear of not making the magic 40 point mark.

The Sugar era left us in the shit hole that Levy has been trying to drag us out of ever since he arrived.

If "Team selection cost us the game" then why even bother us with your ill-informed Levy ranting?

Idiot.

Last edited:

Nah, the usual "shit the bed crew" have upped their game even further mate. Still way out in front.

Back
Top Bottom