Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not all on Levy though, Rose was by all accounts sold to Watford but Rose didn't want to go there. Wanyama was sold to Brugge but he didn't want to go. You can't force a player to leave, he weighs up his options and decides to what's best for him, not what's best for the club. Is Watford a better Club than Spurs? If the answer is no then you can see why Rose is still here. Same with Wanyama.

You can force one player out by freezing them out of your plans, we did this with Jansen but you can't do this with 6 players it simply doesn't work that way, not for us not for Real Madrid, Barca or City. No team can freeze out so many players in an effort to move them on. The only caveat to this would apply to a player that hasn't establish himself and there option is to loan them out, but no way are Toby, Rose, Vertonghen, Wanyama & Sissoko going on loan. They are all on contracts that they chose to see out, the power is always with the player, something that we have by and large managed to mitigate the balance better than most clubs.

We absolutely can do better at selling players, Baldini proved this when he was at the Club, again I can't go in two-footed screaming and shouting given the fact we've just completed the largest building project in Europe, were we not committed to this I'm sure with a dedicated focus we would have been able to shift the majority if not all of these players.

I have already said my only cause for concern with Poch has been why he hasn't played or utilized KWP, Skipp etc. I loved what he did when the shift in the team moved towards betting on Kane, Mason & Bentaleb and ditching Ade, Capoue etc... But to flip the coin Toby & Alderwiereld hadn't underperformed if anything Vertonghen got better and has been faultless for the past two seasons (easily one of our best players in this time).

But known of this has anything to do with what you were winging about in Poch's last presser. The players that are earmarked to leave for whatever reasons and motivations are all still here, this means he has to work with them, he can't sack all of them off. He absolutely can't do what he did to Jansen, Townsend or Ade. He's literally stuck with them and has to work with them for as long as he has them.

Didn’t Levy ask too much for Big Vic?

He made no mention of the current players though, big difference, no?
He said :
"Only we need time. January is going to be a good opportunity too to fix this situation and the next one. That is the problem when something happens that you cannot control.

What do you think he meant by 'fix this situation' ?? :thumbdown:

Last edited:
I've not seen anything to suggest this was the case. He had a medical with them, usually, a deal is done when it gets to this stage. Plenty of reports suggested the two clubs agreed on a transfer.

They probably thought his fitness level was well behind the rest of the team after that medical and had the sense not to spend on players who can't play 😎

He said :
"Only we need time. January is going to be a good opportunity too to fix this situation and the next one. That is the problem when something happens that you cannot control.

What do you think he meant by 'fix this situation' ?? :thumbdown:
But he doesn't mention the existing players. Makes no reference to them.

He's stuck with players that he has to include in his selections. If he has to use them, get something out of them he's broadly two sources of motivation, call them unworthy or call them worthy.

Assuming you're employed and have a boss, do you perform better knowing your boss values you or not?

They probably thought his fitness level was well behind the rest of the team after that medical and had the sense not to spend on players who can't play 😎
Unless it's past me by no reason was given why the deal didn't go through but one such reason could well be that he's not worth the risk, it's the very reason why medicals are undertaken, a form of risk management.

I've not seen anything to suggest this was the case. He had a medical with them, usually, a deal is done when it gets to this stage. Plenty of reports suggested the two clubs agreed on a transfer.

Yes I read that but other reports say Levy tried to squeeze another million out of it

We’ll never know
We’re only supporters

But he doesn't mention the existing players. Makes no reference to them.

He's stuck with players that he has to include in his selections. If he has to use them, get something out of them he's broadly two sources of motivation, call them unworthy or call them worthy.

Assuming you're employed and have a boss, do you perform better knowing your boss values you or not?
Retired two years :thumbup:. (I can thoroughly recommend it)

The word 'values' lends itself to so many definitions.

If you take away being respected, liked, admired and all other personal emotions from the equation then you are left with the simple task of putting a monetary value on what a player brings to the club purely on a footballing performance point of view and if it is appreciated or not by the manager. Then you have individual problems like Eriksen who no matter how much he is valued by Poch has decided he no longer wishes to stay and has simply switched off...explain that one ?

If Poch manages players he HAS to include in the team they will never know whether they were worthy or not because they have no direct competition for their place in the team. They are simply 'automatic' choices. If his idea of motivation is to declare that a drastic rebuild over two transfer windows is required to get the club back on it's feet and then a couple of weeks later say "Nah, only joking lads, you're good enough really" then he's been on some pretty strange motivational courses.

Last edited:
So a couple days after the trust reveal that Levy states our problems were due to players wanting out and we couldn’t force them, backing Pochs claims that he needed two windows to fix the problems, there are people now saying that Poch had no choice but to “back” the squad.

And this is, of course, Levys fault again.

Fucking hell

Retired two years :thumbup:. (I can thoroughly recommend it)

The word 'values' lends itself to so many definitions.

If you take away being respected, liked, admired and all other personal emotions from the equation then you are left with the simple task of putting a monetary value on what a player brings to the club purely on a footballing performance point of view and if it is appreciated or not by the manager. Then you have individual problems like Eriksen who no matter how much he is valued by Poch has decided he no longer wishes to stay and has simply switched off...explain that one ?

If Poch manages players he HAS to include in the team they will never know whether they were worthy or not because they have no direct competition for their place in the team. They are simply 'automatic' choices. If his idea of motivation is to declare that a drastic rebuild over two transfer windows is required to get the club back on it's feet and then a couple of weeks later say "Nah, only joking lads, you're good enough really" then he's been on some pretty strange motivational courses.

Just a beginner then

retired in 2011

but I can also recommend it

This is such an important time for us. Players we dont want out could start wanting out if they dont already and we still have the whole season stuck with 4 or so senior players waiting to leave.

If Poch is committed and can get us over the line till Jan, we need to drop or get rid of everyone we can and buy now for next season. A complete overhaul and half a season to ge them in.

We need to suck up the wages of the seniors wanting out as an extra expense we know they will be off the wage bill anyway come June.

New fresh squad willing to learn and try.

The ones there at the moment id commit with:

Aurier (still trying despite playing bad)
Sanchez
Sess
Winks
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Son
Lucas
Lamela
Alli (he was trying yesterday)
Kane

The rest i would not be so concerened with. Theyre either not good enough or not committed.

Get a world class CB and a young CB a new RB to compete with Aurier, a new LB to compete with Sess.
Midfield hard to say what we need. Sissoko is only going to get worse, Winks is good but not great. Ndombele looks quality but needs a better partner in there for me. Hes come at a rough time.
Lo celso, could be the answer. I still feel we need another quality CM.

Son, Lucas, Alli, Lamela all quality. Alli is trying and will return to form, Lamela doesnt stop trying and its sad because his run of fitness jas come at a time when the team are playing poor. A bit more quality around him and he could be really doing well this season.
Lucas and Son are both quality operators.

Kane with a buzzing team behind him will get the goals but hes not playing well right now.
We also need a back up younger striker in.

I see we need atleast 5 or 6 we need and about the same need to leave.

If poch can get all that and returns the team to the committment levels of the past, we would be back there again.

Im so worried we lose Poch and end up like united now. A stale group of players where we just blame the manager for it all.

Such a make or break moment for us. We could either make a huge recovery under Poch era 2.0 or get rid and take a stab in the dark.

One thing for sure is unless we are really threatened by bottom half finish levy wont sack poch. He knows he needs to replace 4 players end of the year atleast regardless so he wont pay Pochs release fee. Especially comsidering all the talk of other clubs potentially coming in for poch which would mean the difference of a potential millions payout for spurs vs millions paid to poch by sacking him

One thing for sure is unless we are really threatened by bottom half finish levy wont sack poch. He knows he needs to replace 4 players end of the year atleast regardless so he wont pay Pochs release fee. Especially comsidering all the talk of other clubs potentially coming in for poch which would mean the difference of a potential millions payout for spurs vs millions paid to poch by sacking him

Nailed it. Would have to be catastrophic for a few months for MP to be forced out. People need to realise how the balance sheet works is the big priority at our club.

Back
Top Bottom