Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True, but at the crucial time we had two transfer windows to start to rectify that. To refresh, rejuvenate. Challenge those who saw themselves as undroppable.

A significant number of regulars here (including some who are shitting the bed the most now) were totally down with that approach. Those who weren't were vilified as being "new fan types", "Sky transfer window fans" and the like. Not a single one of the former group has ever suggested that they may have been wrong, even slightly.

Others, sometimes the same, overly hyped our yootdem, seemingly oblivious to the fact that (a) they hadn't challenged for the top spots in their leagues for a couple of seasons and (b) those that were out on loan, to piss-poor teams in the main, were struggling to get a start. Both those two facts are very evident this season too.

We’ve lost to Newcastle, Colchester, drawn with Watford who had 2pts, been hammered by Brighton and played off the park for 70 minutes by Villa.

Keep telling yourself it’s because we didn’t buy Zaha a year and a half ago though.

We started with 7 defensive players against fucking Watford.

Five at the back. Winks passing the ball sideways and Sissoko running in straight lines towards the nearest bright light.

And we still fucking conceded in the first ten.

I cannot get over how bad we are.
It’s formations like that which get you the result your after, like 30m compensation packages.....

Jesus Levy just fire him already and don’t look at the 30m as reward for how shit we are right now, look at it as reward for 4 good years....But for the love of sanity just get rid!!

Gazzaniga - 5. OK for the most part but shaky for one or two moments when tested. Need to upgrade on him and Lloris.
I'm inclined to give him a bit of slack at the moment. He's fresh back and needs to shoulder the burden for the foreseeable future. The psychological weight of it all may take a few games to get used to. Or not. Fuck knows. I don't know. But I do know this glass in front of me isn't going to fill itself.

... and the summer before, and even the one before that.

All windows where in fact we DID buy 2/3 players (as you subsequently proceed to recommend)

If we had the purchased 2/3 players every window, we'd have somewhere in the region of 6-9 players challenging for places. Even with our poor record in signings, 2 or 3 would be regulars (and delivering) in the team today.

Not cutting the deadwood out year after year has resulted in our being teleported back to the end of the AVB era.

Kane, Dele and Eriksen fell into the manager's lap. Eriksen's off, Dele was passably today and heaven knows what will happen if Kane picks up another ankle knock.

Years to recover from this.

Most of this deadwood you're talking about had half the fanbase shitting themselves at the prospect of their sale.... "Selling club", "Irreplacable", "pay them whatever it takes"... Blah blah.

....Now they're all shite and should have been sold years ago?

Fine, bemoan the year (2 windows) without signings if you must ignore the circumstances behind it, but the rest of this? ....Nah, mate.

"Eriksen fell into the manager's lap" - I mean what the fuck does this even mean?

We bought him by accident? ....He's been a good player by accident? ...He wasn't seen as a solid aquisition when we signed him?

Meanwhile us doing diligent scouting in Dele is a bad thing whilst a lot of this past summer was ridden with moaning about how we should have bought Ndombele or Lo Celso when they were nobodies?

Maybe 1 player but nothing significant unless enic/levy change. We have had enic/levy for long enough to know that a lack of signings will probably continue.

Wanyama
Njie
Toby
Son
Trippier
Janssen
Llorente
Aurier
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sissoko
Dele
Sessengon
Clarke
Moura
Nkoudou
Sanchez
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Wimmer
Dier
Stambouli
Vorm
Davies
Fazio

All for Poch

“ENIC don’t sign players

It’s hilarious that these people think we are shit now because of a window 18 months ago.

But they denied we were shit last season.
I said we were playing shit last season. And got hammered for saying so.
Do you still think not signing a single player last summer, or, indeed, the following January, has no bearing on this carnage?
Be honest with yourself

Wanyama
Njie
Toby
Son
Trippier
Janssen
Llorente
Aurier
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sissoko
Dele
Sessengon
Clarke
Moura
Nkoudou
Sanchez
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Wimmer
Dier
Stambouli
Vorm
Davies
Fazio

All for Poch

“ENIC don’t sign players
You've listed some real humdingers there mate.
Take the shite out and you aint left with too much shout about

Wanyama
Njie
Toby
Son
Trippier
Janssen
Llorente
Aurier
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sissoko
Dele
Sessengon
Clarke
Moura
Nkoudou
Sanchez
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Wimmer
Dier
Stambouli
Vorm
Davies
Fazio

All for Poch

“ENIC don’t sign players

Apparently all "it" takes is 2/3 players each year in the name of keeping it fresh....

That's 25 players + academy graduates (Winks, KWP, Skipp, Onomah all made senior debuts) over 5 years (6 years going by trf windows in fairness)... 29/6 = 4.8 new players per year. :levyeyes:

What makes me laugh is that before Levy got cold feet over funding Redknapp towards the end of his tenure, we actually had a rep for buying plenty players then too.

Last edited:
Take the shite out

Not that much shite. Poch was after Janssen and got him. The n'chuckle brothers were, admittedly, Levy shopping in the discount section. In terms of great/good players:

Wanyama, Toby, Son, Trippier, Ndombele and Lo Celso (both hopefully, but they were Poch's picks), Dele, Sess (again, hopefully), Moura, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier and Davies. Sissoko, Davies and Llorente all can do a job.

We could have done with a few more, but he's had some great players at his disposable. And he often treats them in an inexplicable and frustrating manner.

I said we were playing shit last season. And got hammered for saying so.
Do you still think not signing a single player last summer, or, indeed, the following January, has no bearing on this carnage?
Be honest with yourself
I genuinely don’t understand how not signing anyone in 2018 has made:

Dele shite
Eriksen shite
Jan and Toby “get old”
Poch drop Sanchez for a year
Poch stick with Rose when Davies was better
Lloris make mistakes
The defence pass to Lloris
The team not press
Sanchez a RB
KWP abandoned
Janssen not used for 4 years
The total abandonment of a DM
Lloris still captain
The team concede in 10 minutes every week
The team not defend corners
The team have no confidence
Players not sign contracts
Players not like the training
Players not like the diamond
Poch play the diamond
Poch make poor subs
Poch talk shit
Poch sell Trippier
Poch not play Lo Celso before he was injured
Poch not use Ndombele in his best role
Poch drop Moura for the CL final

Maybe 1 player but nothing significant unless enic/levy change. We have had enic/levy for long enough to know that a lack of signings will probably continue.

Your ilk will post any old shite.... (See sammy's follow up post)

You've listed some real humdingers there mate.
Take the shite out and you aint left with too much shout about

So if a signing doesn’t work out it means he wasn’t signed?
Is Levy at fault for signing Janssen (who had just scored 35 goals in Holland) for 22M as back up for Kane, or Pochs fault for writing him off and throwing his career down the shitter.

So what if they weren’t all world beaters. A good number of them were world beaters.
But clearly this “miracle worker” can’t do it with half the players signed for him.

Chucking players in the bin because they can’t run a marathon in ten minutes

Wanyama
Njie
Toby
Son
Trippier
Janssen
Llorente
Aurier
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sissoko
Dele
Sessengon
Clarke
Moura
Nkoudou
Sanchez
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Wimmer
Dier
Stambouli
Vorm
Davies
Fazio

All for Poch

“ENIC don’t sign players

Other than the 4 we signed in the summer and it's sensible to defer an opinion on : I'd suggest that of those 4 or 5 years of player buying I'd rate just two as very good buys -Son and Dele

After that the others are either squad level players or just bad buys.

Horrendous buying mostly under our current manager.

Last edited:
Other than the 4 we signed in the summer and it's sensible to defer an opinion on : I'd suggest that of those 4 or 5 years of player buying I'd rate just two as very good buys -Son and Del

After that I'd suggest the others are either squad level players or but bad buys.

Horrendous buying mostly under our current manager.

Funny because they got us top 4 for 4 straight seasons.
Imagine what we could have done had he not discarded the others

A massive opportunity was squandered last summer.
I think it'll take around 4-5 years to recover lost ground.
With or without Poch.
We were there competing for the title for 3 seasons and then stand still for a season did all the damage
Probably over 5 years to recover IMO

Right, here we go, i have a single malt and im home, going for a "brainstorming" approach here

* We needed a change and we got it, Dave back in with a back 3 with Rose and Aurier presumably there to play as wing backs
* What we didnt get was any kind of width at all, and a seemingly team-wide inability to take responsibility and take a player on (fear of losing the ball?)
* We have the best complete all round centreforward in Europe and he barely saw the ball
* Lucas was the only player in that XI who wanted to run and beat a player. He was then of course substituted for having the audacity to try stuff for...
* ...Lamela, who has actually been one of our bright performers in a shoddy season so why is he on the bench
* Dele, Dele Dele. Goal, yes but dear me. Looks a shadow of the player he was before. When a rookie like Mount is ahead of you (a good player admittedly) in the England pecking theres a reason why. Too many flicks, wanting too much time on the ball
* Two shots on target all game. It was boring until the last 10
* VAR fuck-up again
* sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways sideways
* Broke transfer record on our Mousa "replacement" to bench him, he isnt going to get any better or used to the league sat there

I had a great time seeing my mates again for the first time since Everton last game of last season but this was not an enjoyable afternoon of football. Something stinks and I dont know what it is. Also the whole corporate feel to the place doesnt sit right with me. Its an amazing *looking* ground but it feels a little fake. Maybe its because we arent getting entertained at the moment. I dunno. Even the pubs were deflated before and after.

Also, Ben Foster can fuck off. How he didnt get booked (again) for timewasting is beyond me. Serial offender

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom