Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll name 5.
Left back, Right back, Central defence considering Jan and Toby are playing out contracts. Midfield, and up front considering Kane has had no real competition for years.
You could arguably add the goalkeeping position to that scenario as we're fucked without Hugo too.

Left back - Sess (25m) brought in with Davies and Rose, both international players.
Right back - Fair enough
Centre back - Foyth and Sanchez (42m) brought in to cover for Toby and Jan.

Yes, massively under-invested.

We don't know what happened behind the scenes, but it's quite obvious that Levy wanted to buy a RB for less than he had already sold Walker. This has been our strategy and it can work if we sign the right players. In this case, we didn't. I think there's plenty of evidence that Poch doesn't have an eye for a player so I'd put Aurier on him.

I don't have a problem with Levy not spending record fees for players. My main gripe is that he takes too long to bring in players and some potential deals don't even materialize as a result. This is what has been plaguing us every transfer window and I don't see it changing unfortunately.

The later point has zero to do with the sudden complaint that we didn't blow 50m to replace Walker.

We spent 40m on Sanchez in the same window.

We (Poch) chose Aurier.

So what you're ultimately saying is that Poch shouldn't pick signings and that Levy should be hastier (ergo likely paying higher fees!) in buying them from above the manager's head? I can 'really' see the many discontents on the forum getting behind that model.

We don't know what happened behind the scenes, but it's quite obvious that Levy wanted to buy a RB for less than he had already sold Walker. This has been our strategy and it can work if we sign the right players. In this case, we didn't. I think there's plenty of evidence that Poch doesn't have an eye for a player so I'd put Aurier on him.

I don't have a problem with Levy not spending record fees for players. My main gripe is that he takes too long to bring in players and some potential deals don't even materialize as a result. This is what has been plaguing us every transfer window and I don't see it changing unfortunately.
As you said Levy takes too long to do a deal or he offers a silly price just like he did to Palace for Zaha which we know for a fact as their chairman confirmed it on the radio at the time and did the same with few other PL players. Soon no body wants to deal with Levy, would you? I wouldn't.

The later point has zero to do with the sudden complaint that we didn't blow 50m to replace Walker.

We spent 40m on Sanchez in the same window.

We (Poch) chose Aurier.

So what you're ultimately saying is that Poch shouldn't pick signings and that Levy should be hastier (ergo likely paying higher fees!) in buying them from above the manager's head? I can 'really' see the many discontents on the forum getting behind that model.

Yes, the latter point is just to emphasize that Levy has his share of the blame, generally speaking. Aurier is a Poch dud.

Levy either changes his ways or he just assigns someone else to take care of transfers. I don't see either of these happening. Whoever our manager is, he will have to work with Levy knowing this and make the team play competitive football with what he has at his disposal.

I think everyone is coming around now. Ideal scenario would be that he stays, love the man and the transformation he’s played, but these pampered cocks have given up and don’t want to play in this system. He (Poch) seems to also have given up and isn’t working to the best interest of the team or club. It’s a mess. He’s clearly waiting for the sack or another club.

He should be walking.
He is not walking. Too much money at stake.

Half of our best team were here before Poch

Imagine if the guys that bought those players had continued doing that role over the last 4 or ,5 years - a fair bet they'd have bought a few more top class players rather than squad players and bad buys. Eg buying Pereira rather than Aurier ( both same price in same TW)

So using the Bale 7 as a case study, you think 2 out of 7 is a better batting average?

What exactly is the point you're chasing here?(*)

Bring back Baldini & AVB? ...Levy should have more scouting input?

(*I'm at a loss tbh, but Fuck's sake... At least apportion the blame fairly.... The list of players you're unhappy with were POCH signings... If they weren't he'd have fucked off years ago. Besides, there's a growing list of players that will attest to him convincing them to come for here...)

For the Nth time though, said list was a rebutal to the bullshit claim that we only bring the odd player in each year.

Left back - Sess (25m) brought in with Davies and Rose, both international players.
Right back - Fair enough
Centre back - Foyth and Sanchez (42m) brought in to cover for Toby and Jan.

Yes, massively under-invested.

Even then we "invested" in Trippier (sold as per Poch) & Aurier (Picked by Poch)....

That's not a spending issue.

Yes, the latter point is just to emphasize that Levy has his share of the blame, generally speaking. Aurier is a Poch dud.

Blame towards what though?

You never said; you just hitched a ride on a debate about us not buying enough players....

Levy either changes his ways or he just assigns someone else to take care of transfers. I don't see either of these happening. Whoever our manager is, he will have to work with Levy knowing this and make the team play competitive football with what he has at his disposal.

...And now you're back to the implication that we aren't bringing players in.

The upshot to most of the complaining here (not just you) is that the players aren't good enough.... IF true, blame the scouts/manager, not the guy that signs the cheques.

As you said Levy takes too long to do a deal or he offers a silly price just like he did to Palace for Zaha which we know for a fact as their chairman confirmed it on the radio at the time and did the same with few other PL players. Soon no body wants to deal with Levy, would you? I wouldn't.
I don't get the fascination with Zaha. He's a show pony. 9 league appearances this season: 0 goals 1 assist.
£70m. Can you imagine the shit you'd be giving Levy for backing that bet?

Even then we "invested" in Trippier (sold as per Poch) & Aurier (Picked by Poch)....

That's not a spending issue.

I agree but it is one of the less under-invested positions.

The only other position I think you could argue is up top but how do you get in a decent striker to sit on the bench for 85 mins per match? Plus we've seen Son play as a false 9 before Llorente was used so I'm not even sure we are in need.

This whole under-investment thing is a myth in my opinion. We've seen big money moves made for numerous players in our weakest positions. If Poch doesn't want to play Foyth or Sanchez ahead of an ageing and non-committing Toby/Jan then that's not Levy's fault.

Harry didnt make us a consistent top 2-4 or CL final and AVB didnt even get us into the CL. They had built up less credit.

The football under Redknapp was 1000000000000000000000000% better and fuck how many CL finals we have got to.

Poch is still here for one reason and one reason only, a fluky semi final result. Anyone who doubts that just needs to Google results for Ramos, Redknapp and Poch over their last thirty PL games to see Levy's hypocrisy.

Back
Top Bottom