Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Eriksen fell into the manager's lap" - I mean what the fuck does this even mean?

Eriksen signed for us August 2013 (arguably the only successful signing from the Bale money). Pochettino became our head coach in 2014, so he inherited Eriksen ("fell into his lap"). He took a punt on Dele about a year after he joined (and you could argue that it worked). Kane was at the club long before Pochettino and it took a lot of persuading to play him (Soldado and Adebayor we're always first pick)

The point I'm making is that if we did sign players during our "the squads good enough/who would we sign/who can we afford/the stadium's being built /we can't get rid of the duds (pick any one from the list of excuses)"; we'd have 6-9 players new players in the squad of which 2-3 would be first teamers and one (perhaps) an Eriksen or Kane.

Wanyama
Njie
Toby
Son
Trippier
Janssen
Llorente
Aurier
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sissoko
Dele
Sessengon
Clarke
Moura
Nkoudou
Sanchez
Gazzaniga
Foyth
Wimmer
Dier
Stambouli
Vorm
Davies
Fazio

All for Poch

“ENIC don’t sign players

That's a hell of a list!

There are four unknowns, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Calrke and Sessegnon (so we can suspend judgement).

Other than Son, Alderweireld and Dele(for a couple of seasons), Dier and Wanyama (one season), Sissoko (half a season!)that's a pretty damning testament to our scouting department and someone's judgement!

That's a hell of a list!

There are four unknowns, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Calrke and Sessegnon (so we can suspend judgement).

Other than Son, Alderweireld and Dele(for a couple of seasons), Dier and Wanyama (one season), Sissoko (half a season!)that's a pretty damning testament to our scouting department and someone's judgement!
Not sure about this: you’d probably need to compare with the ‘hit rates’ of the other clubs. Who are the big game changers bought by Utd, Arse and Chelsea? Liverpool have an extraordinary hit rate recently, but Klopp also inherited a lot of that team, like Poch.

I’ve not included City for obvious reasons, but they played with no centre-backs yesterday and there’s a few of Pep’s players that never play because - well - they’re not good enough, and no better than the players already there. That’s why Kompany was always wheeled out for the ten minutes between injuries.

It’s possibly only the mid / lower clubs who have more regulars from their scouting because they a) have worse players so easier to improve and b) money is even tighter so have to be certain.

Everton and Utd are the best examples of diabolical scouting and spending.

We’ve lost to Newcastle, Colchester, drawn with Watford who had 2pts, been hammered by Brighton and played off the park for 70 minutes by Villa.

Keep telling yourself it’s because we didn’t buy Zaha a year and a half ago though.
Played off the park for 70 minutes by Villa?

Sammy re-writes history, yet again, to bolster his fantasy points

Sticking my neck out, I really don't think we'll get relegated (why am I considering this possibility?)

Not because we're not crap, but because the PL is (dippers and City aside) a bag of shite at the moment that the money men at the top convince the gullible paying public is interesting because it's 'competitive' (they're right, in a way). We'll be saved by about 10 other bad teams, regardless of how our season goes.

Loads of people crying out for change now, I think the fanbase is about 50/50 Poch in/out. The massive payout makes it unlikely Levy moves decisively right now, so we've got this bizarre situation with a manager who wants to leave but can't, a bunch of unhappy players, a need for change and a chairman who won't react.

I've never felt more demotivated as a fan than I do right now. The 3-0 against Brighton was the point where I felt Poch had to go and I'm just waiting for him to either leave or be removed. I want us to lose so Levy can't keep pretending there isn't a problem.

Even when we were at the bottom of the league with Ramos, I always wanted us to win. I hate this situation and I hate Levy for putting us through it.

That is what the sight of multi-millionaire players just standing around will do to you.

At the moment we would struggle to scrape wallpaper. The next three games are a lot, lot tougher than Watford at home. Extremely fortunate they didn't go 2-0 with the penalty decision or that would have killed the game for us.
CL then Anfield....tough week ahead.
Yep. The only plus is that football is taken up much less of my life as it feels like a write off season with low expectations now. A win is a bit of a shock these days.

Last edited:
Every dropped point and poor performance is a week closer to an unfixable situation. 9 games into the league, it’s still salvageable. But only if there’s a change. The manager and players aren’t showing any. And you can only change one of those.

LOL, but that doesn't actually, realistically IMPROVE anything!

The rebels STILL don't want to play.

Most of the WILL leave this summer (at latest, Eriksen probably as soon as january).

We will be watching the same players do the same shit until the end of the season.

If you want "change" as you claim, the only option is to drop the rebels and keep them dropped. Like, for good. Out. Goodbye. No games, no media exposure, no training with the first team.

Play Foyth, Davison and youth players to try to claw our way through to the next transfer windows.

Unless, off course, this place is turning into COYS Twitter, where the football manager generation of fans thinks if we sign Mourinho, all the players will sign new contracts and start playing like Man City overnight, LOL.

Played off the park for 70 minutes by Villa?

Sammy re-writes history, yet again, to bolster his fantasy points

Hahahaahahahaah

Ok, let’s take Villa out and swap it for shipping 7 at home in a CL group game.

Rewrite history?
Like you pretending Newcastle, Watford, Colchester and Brighton didn’t happen and only talking about Villa?

OOOHHHHHH WHOOOPY!!! We eventually beat a newly promoted team at home on opening day after going 1-0 down on 8 minutes!!
So everything else doesn’t count!!!!

:freundgoal:

That's a hell of a list!

Most didn’t work out because they weren’t given a chance.
Trippier, Dier, Sissoko, Son, Wanyama, Dele, Toby, Davies, Sanchez and Llorente have all been key players in our top 4 consistency.

Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessengon this entire forum were pining for for over a year.

Some of the others were no good, and some weren’t given a fair chance.

Here’s a post I wrote that inevitably got swept under the carpet.

Liverpool signings in the time Poch has been here:
Shaqiri, Allison, Kieta, Fabinho, VVD, Salah, Ox, Robertson, Gallacher, Solanke, Mane, Wijnaldum, Karius, Klaven, Matip, Manninger, Benteke, Firminho, Clyne, Ings, Grujic, Gomez, Awoniyi, Lallana, Lovren, Markovik, Ballotelli, Moreno, Origi, Can, Lambert

In five years, and 31 signings, 11 were good

Do you think they have signed much better than us generally?
You think Poch would even have played Robertson?
You think Klopp would have the likes of Son on the bench at home to Watford when 3pts was a must?

Shall I go through arsenals, Utds and Chelsea’s signings too in Pochs time and you can tell me all the amazing players you wanted AT THE TIME they were signed.
None of this hindsight revisionist implication that “we should have gone to Hull and signed their LB for 9M” bollox.

LOL, but that doesn't actually, realistically IMPROVE anything!

The rebels STILL don't want to play.

Most of the WILL leave this summer (at latest, Eriksen probably as soon as january).

We will be watching the same players do the same shit until the end of the season.

If you want "change" as you claim, the only option is to drop the rebels and keep them dropped. Like, for good. Out. Goodbye. No games, no media exposure, no training with the first team.

Play Foyth, Davison and youth players to try to claw our way through to the next transfer windows.

Unless, off course, this place is turning into COYS Twitter, where the football manager generation of fans thinks if we sign Mourinho, all the players will sign new contracts and start playing like Man City overnight, LOL.

New manager will have no misplaced loyalty to these pricks. They currently know they’ll play regardless.

I’d rather Poch stays, if I’m honest, but at the same time he’s showing he has no tactical nous or invention right now. He’s persisting with shit systems, tactics and players. He has other options and won’t use them.

He’s previously talked about being brave, and yet right now is cowering with no courage in sight. Play the kids. Play those on the sidelines. Drop the fuckers that are off anyway or want away. By not, he’s also the problem.

I think Sissoko is a terrible player, and you fucking know it.

Tell me what Alderweireld and Sanchez were doing for the goal, you mendacious fishwife.
Sanchez was to blame for nothing. Toby, as he has done for the past 18 months let a guy run past him and never even put in the effort to track the run. When Janmaat gets the ball there's a wide shot of our defence, Toby is barely running back into position.

None of this hindsight revisionist implication that “we should have gone to Hull and signed their LB for 9M” bollox

Neither revisionist nor hindsight.

Not re-inforcing in those transfer windows was criminal. I've always said 2-3 signings in every summer transfer window and don't buy in January.

We've been linked with plenty of 'good' players that we wouldn't cough up for. Barkley, Grealish, Tielemans, even McGinn! Plus a whole load of Euro and South American players that no-one has every heard of. We could offer CL football and yet still were unable (or unwilling) to sign anyone.

Selling Dembele and not replacing? Can anyone explain that?

Lamela and Sissoko with eye-watering contract extensions?

We could have bought, but chose not to.

I remember us dismembering Stoke away in the 'Leicester' season and thinking "a few more pieces to this jigsaw (i.e. a few new players) and we have a real chance of the PL next season"

Now it's feeling like the dark days of Graham/AVB/Santini.

We've been linked with plenty of 'good' players that we wouldn't cough up for. Barkley, Grealish, Tielemans, even McGinn!

Poch wouldn’t give McGinn one minute on the pitch, he turned down Tielemans because he didn’t want to loan him, Grealish was taken out of the market in the middle of negotiations and we ended up with Ndombele instead and Barkley is shit

Poch wouldn’t give McGinn one minute on the pitch, he turned down Tielemans because he didn’t want to loan him, Grealish was taken out of the market in the middle of negotiations and we ended up with Ndombele instead and Barkley is shit

The Tielemans one is interesting as he’s ended up at Leicester anyway, for not much money. So we probably tried to bully them contractually and they told us to fuck off.

Leicester more accommodating and they got the player.

Back
Top Bottom