Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was the balance of the side that was wrong. A back 5 and 2 holding midfielders leaving only 3 attacking players at home against Watford. Had Sissoko not played and say a more attacking player played he would have been ok just making short safe passes but we posed no risk to the Watford goal and the team that finished the match was far better placed to do so. I blame the set up more than the individual players for the toothless first half.

The least you can expect when you play 5 defenders is that they defend a basic cross, the first cross of the game. If our idiot defenders had done their jobs perhaps it would have left more space for us to play and not made the game so easy for Watford. This habit we now have of conceding in the first 10 minutes makes it so much harder for our limp attack to create chances.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say Winks is actually OK - mostly tidy in possession (wasn't yesterday), nice skills and committed to the club. The problem is he offers nothing going forward - no goals, no incisive passes. That's fine if you want to play him as a CM with a more incisive player, but you can't play him alongside Sissoko. The midfield needs more edge.

I also think his performances against England have been quite reasonable when I've seen them. Definitely a useful squad player.

Theres some wankers on this forum I tell ye-people are very quick to forget and call out our own after a few sloppy perfromces when EVERY player has been crap and the manager wants out.
FFs

If his game is based upon distributing the ball left and right in front of our CBs then he needs to also be able to offer defensive cover. He can’t.

Competent but limited player.

If his game is based upon distributing the ball left and right in front of our CBs then he needs to also be able to offer defensive cover. He can’t.

Competent but limited player.

Agree, he's alright. The midfield partner is very important. Question is - is he good enough to justify effort into finding the right one?

Couldn't we offer 50 million plus Winks for Grealish or Madison.
They would give us zip creativity which unfortunately we aint got in midfield.

Neither of them play #6 so how does that help?

We brought in Ndombele and Lo Celos to aid creativity. How about we work with them rather than bin off players for not doing what they are not being asked to do?

I'm just not convinced with Winks to be honest, I don't know where he fits in. He doesn't seem to be defensive enough to play as a DM, but I don't think he's attack-minded enough to play as an AM. He seems to be a more general CM, but he's not consistent and his passing isn't accurate enough to really have an impact.

You're basing this on the last 12 months of him playing at DM tho.

Last edited:
Agree, he's alright. The midfield partner is very important. Question is - is he good enough to justify effort into finding the right one?

Get a new DM and rotate him as a CM alongside Ndombele, LoCelso & Sissoko.... Pretty simple really. Put faith in Dier & Skipp at DM in the meantime.

Getting rid of Winks would be like getting rid of Davies.... Dumb.

Get a new DM and rotate him as a CM alongside Ndombele, LoCelso & Sissoko.... Pretty simple really. Put faith in Dier & Skipp at DM in the meantime.

Skipp's not been anywhere near convincing when he's played. We should buy an elite midfielder rather than playing sub par, average players simply because they are academy products.

Trusting youth is not some magical path to success or the top teams wouldn't have so few homegrown products starting.

Skipp needs a loan.

Neither of them play #6 so how does that help?

We brought in Ndombele and Lo Celos to aid creativity. How about we work with them rather than bin off players for not doing what they are not being asked to do?
Man he just aint got it and Ndom is ok but nothing special creativity wise. Lo Celso who's he , is he coming out the barn door brother.
Winks needs upgrading but so does half the team and creativity is needed more than anything.

Agree, he can contribute.

But if he wants to be a centre piece of this team he has to develop either his attacking ability or his defensive qualities.

We can’t carry a player whose entire remit is moving the ball ten metres left and right.

Man he just aint got it and Ndom is ok but nothing special creativity wise. Lo Celso who's he , is he coming out the barn door brother.
Winks needs upgrading but so does half the team and creativity is needed more than anything.

We need a better DM to 'unlock' the 3 CMs we already have.

Replacing Winks with the #10s you mentioned achieves nothing.

Last edited:

Ndombele & Lo Celso?

Lo Celso definitely not. Don’t think Ndombele is able to carry the ball in the same way.

Of course, the point is probably that you *cant* replace Dembele. There aren’t many midfielders like him out there. It’s why our midfield looks so shocking at the moment as he provided all our balance and single handedly took care of our transition.

Agree, he can contribute.

But if he wants to be a centre piece of this team he has to develop either his attacking ability or his defensive qualities.

We can’t carry a player whose entire remit is moving the ball ten metres left and right.

Speak to the gaffa on that front..... I can't imagine HWs aspirations for being a "centrepiece" come into it. He's simply stuck doing a job that doesnt suit him.

Skipp's not been anywhere near convincing when he's played. We should buy an elite midfielder rather than playing sub par, average players simply because they are academy products.

Trusting youth is not some magical path to success or the top teams wouldn't have so few homegrown products starting.

Skipp needs a loan.

He was one of our best in pre-season. Agree, he was shit against Colchester. Not sure if he’s started since?

Not sure on the loan front. At some point we’re just going to have to give him a run of games.

Back
Top Bottom