Tottenham's worst manager and the manager you hated the most.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not sure about the worse but the one I dislike the most was Harry Rednapp. The way he talked him self up for the England job and when he said spurs fans had never had it so good really pissed me off.

How can anyone dislike AVB based on his boring tactics but have any time for anti-football Gooner Graham?

AVB took over a top 5 side, that previously played the best football in the league under Redknapp. The 2-0 loss to Woolwich where we were 1-0 for ages, and just passed the ball up and down the halfway line was more frustrating than the second season thrashings. If we didn’t have Bale in his first year I don’t think I’d have cracked a smile at all the whole season. Graham was boring, but we had a shit side and he won us a cup. For a lot of people (including myself) it was the first bit of silverware we got to enjoy.

AVB bored me the most, Sherwood embarrassed me the most.

Jol is the first manager I remember loved the big man and we did his nasty deserved far better then he got. Ramos was a fucking disaster but didn't hate him.

Harry gave me some of my best memories as a fan but I don't think I will ever forgive him for his last season he downed tools unsettled the squad because he believed the media he was getting the England job the cunt. AVB was a boring fucker and watching some games made my eyes hurt but again didn't hate him. Sherwood was a silly cunt with a big mouth but at least some games we played decent stuff for the first time in 18 months. And Poch despite his recent mistakes I still love, just hoping he's turned a corner tactically and I never see a diamond again....

Overall I would probs vote Harry for just how bad he fucked us over

Agree with all of that.

Hmmm - just taking a look at the list...Sherwood was offensive; Gross was a strange choice; Graham did at least win a trophy (important for some discussions on here!)...most disappointing because of never living up to my expectations was Hoddle. It just never really worked and I really hoped it would.

In fairness, I also used to believe Shreeves was an amazing manager because I had his sticker in my Panini sticker album so go figure.

Can't remember 'hating' a manager in my lifetime, but the Sherwood period wasn't particularly enjoyable. Harry can fuck off for his way of handling the England approach too.

Gerry Francis. He was the polar opposite of “to dare is to do” and season on season we got worse and worse under him. I absolutely hate the years he took away from us in partnership with Sugar.

remembering that Gross followed the Pigeon fancier makes me want to give Gross a bit of slack. What Francis left us with was a mess and we were heading down. Gross kept us up. That’s bare the facts of it ( although granted others will see it differently )

Graham was a strange one, guy had “something” about him that was dodgy and classy in equal measure. But can’t say I hated him. Always felt we had a chance under him. But then he binned Ginola and it went so flat.

Peter the Taxi and the following Doug and Ray period was a bit shit too.

The timing of the Graham sacking was weird for me. We’d won the FA Cup quarter final at Spam - surely we should have given him the chance to beat the Arse.

I remember Gary Lineker said at the time that it was almost as though Levy was worried that Tottenham might win the FA Cup with Graham and then they wouldn't be able to sack him so instead he sacked him there and then.

It was obvious that Levy didn't want Graham and that it was only a matter of time before Hoddle took over.

Can't remember 'hating' a manager in my lifetime, but the Sherwood period wasn't particularly enjoyable. Harry can fuck off for his way of handling the England approach too.

When you consider the situation we were in when he took over (two points from eight games) and then qualifying for the Champions League in his first full season, Redknapp's interest in the England job is, for me, an incredibly minor issue.

The FA should have given him the job but they went with Hodgson purely because they didn't have to pay compensation to West Brom.

There was also the court case. Any person in the world would have been unsettled by all of that. Managers are human beings too.

Redknapp saved us from a terrible manager and a bad league position. Us playing great football had nothing to do with him. We had Bale, Van der Vaart and Modric, how on Earth were they ever going to play shite football.

Graham won the 1999 Worthington Cup with Gerry Francis's team. 2 of the 3 players he brought in were cup-tied (Sherwood and Taricco) and the rest of the team were either signed by Francis or shaped into the players they were under him. Freund was the only addition under Graham's watch and Graham had no time for any of the players brought in under Christian Gross.

That's often been the way at Tottenham. Other managers do all the grunt work and run out of steam when it's all done and another manager comes in and coasts on the momentum of being a fresh face with new ideas and takes all the glory. It even happened in 1951 with Arthur Rowe; the team and the ideas were already there, it just took Rowe to galvanise them into action.

I think Graham would have won us the 2001 FA Cup if he hadn't been sacked on the eve of the semi-final but ENIC wanted to make a big statement about the football philosophy they wanted at the club and they wanted a man who would do things the Tottenham way and there is no man who can make that statement better than Glenn Hoddle.

As wonderful a player that Hoddle undoubtedly was, I can't look upon his time as manager as a success.

As for Graham, I think any manager who takes over someone else's team and, at the earliest opportunity, does something his predecessors couldn't do i.e. wins a trophy, deserves credit for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom