Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy birthday

16:05 minutes of pure quality

Absolutely fantastic video truly showcasing a unique talent. So many sublime pieces of skill setting up goal after goal - and then there are the goals themselves. What a player. When you consider that only 2 or 3 matches per week were covered by cameras I wonder how many fabulous goals were missed, only ever witnessed by those that were there live. This video would probably have been an hour long if made today as all the games are obviously now covered. Will never be another Hoddle so often overlooked for England in favour of workmanlike players not fit to lace his boots- CRIMINAL

Michel Platini said: “If he had been French he would have won 150 caps.”

When... Burkinshaw scooped the world by signing Argentine World Cup stars Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa, Ricky’s first words on seeing Hoddle in training were: “Why have they signed us?”

Steve Perryman said: “My job was easy – get the ball and give it to Glenn.”

Honoured to have seen many of those goals/skills in person, and many more. I doubt I'll see another like him in my lifetime. My favourite goal is not recorded, which is a shame. Went to his England debut, he scored (it's in the film above), best player on the pitch. Dropped for the next game! Only 53 caps is beyond a joke.

When... Burkinshaw scooped the world by signing Argentine World Cup stars Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa, Ricky’s first words on seeing Hoddle in training were: “Why have they signed us?”

The great Johan Cruyff (3 times Ballon d'Or winner) on Hoddle:

I played several times against him, and the most important one was when I was in my last season. It was Tottenham and Feyenoord (UEFA CUP 1984, Second Round, Spurs 4 - Feyenoord 2). We lost the game and he played a very good game. At that time is was quite normal that if you see someone who’s outstanding or plays well, you go in (to the dressing room) and say: Hey, good luck, keep going.

I gave Glenn Hoddle the jersey… I said that he was a very good player…I thought he deserved it. What he normally did was to make people in the stands enjoy football. And probably that’s the biggest achievement, for somebody to be thought of like that afterwards… yeah we enjoyed watching him.

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic video truly showcasing a unique talent. So many sublime pieces of skill setting up goal after goal - and then there are the goals themselves. What a player. When you consider that only 2 or 3 matches per week were covered by cameras I wonder how many fabulous goals were missed, only ever witnessed by those that were there live. This video would probably have been an hour long if made today as all the games are obviously now covered. Will never be another Hoddle so often overlooked for England in favour of workmanlike players not fit to lace his boots- CRIMINAL
A fantastic video and the best one out there to showcase a truly unique talent. So many moments of sublime skill on often awful pitches and some wonderful goals only Glenn could score. Since only 2 or 3 matches were filmed per week by Match of the Day/The Big Match I wonder how many of his great goals were only ever seen once by those lucky enough to have been there live. I reckon this video would have been an hour long if there were cameras at all matches like there are today.

A truly wonderful player criminally underused by England whose intellectually challenged managers preferred workmanlike players not fit to lace Glenn’s boots
You feel so strongly you said the same thing twice!!

Fair play. Hoddle was something special. A shame that a lot of today's fans (such as my daughter) never saw him play in the flesh.

It’s England though,leave out Hoddle, play Scholes on the left etc. Our managers for the most part had shit for brains.

You feel so strongly you said the same thing twice!!

Fair play. Hoddle was something special. A shame that a lot of today's fans (such as my daughter) never saw him play in the flesh.

I know mate- feel like a right tit cos when I posted the first entry it said there had been an error!!!! - either that or it might be my dementia kicking in 🤪

My dad's uncle Alf was Hoddle's manager when he was a kid. The oppo kids would all crowd around Alf asking if Glen was playing that week, whenever Alf replied that he was all the opposition kids would groan and say " thats it we've lost".
True story. Genius footballer.

Honoured to have seen many of those goals/skills in person, and many more. I doubt I'll see another like him in my lifetime. My favourite goal is not recorded, which is a shame. Went to his England debut, he scored (it's in the film above), best player on the pitch. Dropped for the next game! Only 53 caps is beyond a joke.

When he did finally get a decent run in the team he was often England’s best player but rarely seemed to get the accolades. I can remember that there was a run of games where Hoddle and Bryan Robson played together with Hoddle playing very well and Robson being bang average yet Robson was the darling. The first thing Bobby Robson would often say was “The skipper was magnificent “ when he barely did anything yet Hoddle never got mentioned despite creating England’s best moments. It used to drive us mad in our house.

It would appear that we were not the only ones to think that there was a pro Bryan Robson bias amongst the officials and press as I can remember when we beat Man Utd 4-0 in 86/87the Spurs fans chanting “Robson man of the match, Robson, Robson man of the match“ etc

Last edited:
The great Johan Cruyff (3 times Ballon d'Or winner) on Hoddle:

I played several times against him, and the most important one was when I was in my last season. It was Tottenham and Feyenoord (UEFA CUP 1984, Second Round, Spurs 4 - Feyenoord 2). We lost the game and he played a very good game. At that time is was quite normal that if you see someone who’s outstanding or plays well, you go in (to the dressing room) and say: Hey, good luck, keep going.

I gave Glenn Hoddle the jersey… I said that he was a very good player…I thought he deserved it. What he normally did was to make people in the stands enjoy football. And probably that’s the biggest achievement, for somebody to be thought of like that afterwards… yeah we enjoyed watching him.
The first 45 mins of that game was probably the best 45 I've ever seen from one player.

Back
Top Bottom