Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been drawn at home to holders Liverpool in the third round of this season’s FA Youth Cup.
The draw was made at Wembley today (Friday), with clubs from the Premier League and Championship entering at this point.
The Reds toppled Manchester City in a penalty shootout in last season’s final, while we were eliminated at the fourth round stage by The Scum.
Details on the date and venue for the match will be confirmed in due course. Ties must be completed before Saturday 14 December.
We met Liverpool’s Academy in the summer, when we beat them on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the semi-finals of the Under-19 Oberndorf tournament in Germany.
Previously, we beat them 4-0 in the quarter-finals of the Under-18 Premier League Cup during its inaugural season in 2017/18.

We have been drawn at home to holders Liverpool in the third round of this season’s FA Youth Cup.
The draw was made at Wembley today (Friday), with clubs from the Premier League and Championship entering at this point.
The Reds toppled Manchester City in a penalty shootout in last season’s final, while we were eliminated at the fourth round stage by The Scum.
Details on the date and venue for the match will be confirmed in due course. Ties must be completed before Saturday 14 December.
We met Liverpool’s Academy in the summer, when we beat them on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the semi-finals of the Under-19 Oberndorf tournament in Germany.
Previously, we beat them 4-0 in the quarter-finals of the Under-18 Premier League Cup during its inaugural season in 2017/18.

Undoubtedly the tie of the round.

We've promoted a number of Academy Year 2 players to play in u23's, but to make progress in the FA Youth Cup we would need to re-integrate some of them (and even Troy Parrott) to make a real go in the FA Youth Cup

Undoubtedly the tie of the round.

We've promoted a number of Academy Year 2 players to play in u23's, but to make progress in the FA Youth Cup we would need to re-integrate some of them (and even Troy Parrott) to make a real go in the FA Youth Cup
Do we have a chance even with the strongest team? Isn't WindyCOYS WindyCOYS saying the youth aren't all that nowadays?

Do we have a chance even with the strongest team? Isn't WindyCOYS WindyCOYS saying the youth aren't all that nowadays?

I'd guess WindyCOYS WindyCOYS and I are broadly on the same page regarding youth but I'd suggest - crudely - whereas a few year ago we would have 'a number' of 'elite players' in our youth teams who stood a chance of eventually playing for our first team (and even with these its say a 1 in 4 chance of making it), we now have fewer 'elite players' each of our youth teams (fewer are choosing to come to Spurs, one reason being the reduced numbers playing meaningful minutes in the first team in the last 5 years). And that of course means that the Spurs youth teams overall are not as strong as they used to be.

As an example Noni Mandueke (skipper of our u16 team at the time and star of that team) turned down the offer of an Academy scholarship at Spurs to go to PSV where he has already started to have first team involvement - he's just been called up for E u17's.

It doesn't mean we stand no chance, but the chance of winning an FA Youth cup has to be less than it was a few years ago.

Last edited:

Someone at Spurs clearly not familiar with Spanish naming customs so Yago de Santiago Alonso is 'Santiago' on one official Spurs team sheet and Alonso on the other. Not an expert but having worked in Spanish speaking Mexico I'd back 'Santiago' as being correct.

Good to see Roshaun Mathurin (plays a bit like J'Neil Bennett) on the bench - he joins Dane Scarlett as an u16 playing up.

I'd guess Dennis Cirkin and Harvey White (on bench) are both getting minutes post injury to recapture their form. Both Academy Year 2 players (most of the squad is Academy Year 1) are well thought of and have played u23 football - White was also on the 2019 preseason tour

White with a 3rd (penalty) on 89 mins to get score to 5-3 !

Edit - FT 3-5. A less bad score line than the HT position !
I wonder what will happen at Chelsea now.
On the one hand Lampard seems ready to give youth a chance, not that he has much choice right now. On the other hand the first team is full of young players now, so maybe there won't be too much space for the current youth team. Not much point waiting for Mount or Abraham to retire.

On the one hand Lampard seems ready to give youth a chance, not that he has much choice right now. On the other hand the first team is full of young players now, so maybe there won't be too much space for the current youth team. Not much point waiting for Mount or Abraham to retire.

Good question.

Right now I would guess that Lampard is using all the Chelsea players he thinks are 'first team' ready. But come next season (assuming Lampard is still at Chelsea) there might be another couple of youngsters ready to try to break into the first team.

I think its then a question of whether any of the Chelsea first team squad need moving on to accommodate the new youth - amongst the youngsters Lampard is using is Loftus-Cheek who I personally think is an ok player but not a top player. So if there is a top youngster coming through who plays in midfield it maybe that the player making way for him might be one of the 'youngsters' used by Lampard this season or a more established player.

Worth saying that the youngsters being used by Lampard this season were born over about 4 years so its one or two players from each year he's using. So its likely there will again be one or two players coming through each year - its not likely to be 6 per year for example

To be fair to Lampard, he has had choice, he still has most of the senior players he had last season, Pedro, Barkley, Giroud, Batshuayi and he authorised the sale (I assume) of Cahill and Luiz, and despite a couple of early set backs, he continued to play the academy players.

He hasn't done what Poch has done which continue to play senior players out of position, out of form or just clearly not of the right standard constantly rather than give academy players game time.

To be fair to Lampard, he has had choice, he still has most of the senior players he had last season, Pedro, Barkley, Giroud, Batshuayi and he authorised the sale (I assume) of Cahill and Luiz, and despite a couple of early set backs, he continued to play the academy players.

He hasn't done what Poch has done which continue to play senior players out of position, out of form or just clearly not of the right standard constantly rather than give academy players game time.
He was only delighted to get rid of Luiz.

It's all very well giving Lampard credit for playing "kids", but fuck me, Abraham and Mount are no ordinary kids. I need to see a bit more of Tomori to make up my mind on him.

It's all very well giving Lampard credit for playing "kids", but fuck me, Abraham and Mount are no ordinary kids. I need to see a bit more of Tomori to make up my mind on him.
True

But Lampard is now involving 7 of their youngsters in the first team squad - 4 started (Abraham, Mount, James, Tomori) with 3 on the bench.(Christianson, Hudson-Odoi and Gilmour).

Chelsea have used the loan system well to develop Abraham, Mount, Tomori and Christianson so they were ready for the first team - but still a "risk* - Abraham and Mount for example spent last season in the Championship which to many implies it's s risk to play them in PL.

Our problem is that we are not sending the best lads out on loan for experience, but neither are we playing them in the first team and usually they are not playing in u23 team either. So no game time. Given Tanganga"s performances in 2019 preseason he should have been more involved in first team matches than he has been or loaned out. Same comments for Skipp and probably Parrott too (although given his age a loan might not be appropriate this season).

98% of this place would have laughed their tits off at the thought of Abraham and Tomori getting played every week this season for a top 3 club.

And as I said, even after a dodgy first few games Lampard stuck with them, he didn't panic and draught in the older players, which he could easily have done.

I'm not saying I think Lampard is a great coach, I honestly don't know yet, but Chelsea have at least got some fucking energy about them and look more cohesive, at least in possession, than the shower of shite we are watching.

Yes, Chelsea have some great kids, but they've had better coaching, then been found better loans, and had better development, instead of being sat around twiddling their thumbs without any game time, watching a bunch of fuckwits go through the motions for us.

True

But Lampard is now involving 7 of their youngsters in the first team squad - 4 started (Abraham, Mount, James, Tomori) with 3 on the bench.(Christianson, Hudson-Odoi and Gilmour).

Chelsea have used the loan system well to develop Abraham, Mount, Tomori and Christianson so they were ready for the first team - but still a "risk* - Abraham and Mount for example spent last season in the Championship which to many implies it's s risk to play them in PL.

Our problem is that we are not sending the best lads out on loan for experience, but neither are we playing them in the first team and usually they are not playing in u23 team either. So no game time. Given Tanganga"s performances in 2019 preseason he should have been more involved in first team matches than he has been or loaned out. Same comments for Skipp and probably Parrott too (although given his age a loan might not be appropriate this season).
Is Tanganga better with the ball than Davidson Sanchez?

Spurs U23 team away at Gillingham on Tuesday @ 7pm - ticket info on link.

Imo one of the u23s best games for development of the season - they are playing a men's team.

Hope to see a strong Spurs X1 but obviously it will be weakened by players away on international duty so no Skipp or Parrott for example.

Is Tanganga better with the ball than Davidson Sanchez?

His very good passing out from the back was one of the things getting most comment in preseason. So might well be better. Or at least comparable.

Often plays LCB which is where we are naturally short atm ( and good cover if/when Vertonghen leaves) , but can play RCB as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom