West Ham Knuckle Dragging Pikeys v Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 23rd November 12-30 : Live from Billy Smart’s Circus Tent.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently we should be worried....
We were that bad...

I genuinely believe that if the new coaching team had been in charge since the beginning of October instead of last week that would have been 0-5.
Not saying we are superb,just acknowledging they are fucking awful.
Antonio is a good player though. He embarrassed the rest of his team with the effort he put in in such a short space of time.
And it was nice to see Jose tapping him up at the final whistle

Afternoon all...

I've only seen the motd highlights rather than the full game but have seen a couple of mentions of us playing more 'long balls' than previously. From what I have seen it looked like we were happy to play a pass that bypassed the midfield if it was on, as opposed to lumping it long looking for the knock down.

Anyone that's seen the full match confirm/deny?
It was noticeable yesterday that we abandoned the 'possession at all costs' mentality that saw us passing it around our own penalty area between defenders and goalkeeper - pursued by the opposition. Tactics that sometimes work, but often end up with someone lumping it long or the ball going out of play for an opposition throw (or worse).

These tactics work if you have a defence/midfield capable of creating the 'triangles' that get you out of danger and strand the opposition deep in your own half, with you retaining possession of the ball on the half way line and going forward.

Yesterday it was clear that we opted to cut out the middle man and get it into the air heading Kane's way, so that he could hold it up or flick it on. It worked quite well against the likes of Wham.

It makes for fewer heart-stopping moments with Winks or Sissoko receiving the ball from Gazzaniga or Sanchez, on the edge of our area, facing their own goal and not really knowing if the opposition was about to tackle them.

It will take a few more games to establish whether this is a Mourinho-inspired long term change in tactics or just for yesterday.

How we play against Olympiacos will be interesting.

I didn't say he was the entire reason, but he's always had that "retreat retreat" mentality under pressure, where he virtually sinks back into the back line, instead of protecting it and hunting ahead of it, and still showing up for the ball, which is what a good 6/DM will do - which you refer yourself:
Neither Winks nor Dier were particularly hiding from the ball yesterday when West Ham upped their intensity levels, although the defensive shield they provided was a bit flaky. We were going long from the back, bypassing the midfield, and not able to make it stick up top, so we started to endure waves of pressure. But there were moments in the latter parts of the game where everyone from Rose to Eriksen had opportunities to help us retain possession, and squandered it very cheaply. There were at least 2 instances of Rose doing this, which is where Davies' withdrawal possibly hurt us a bit. Sissoko was rancid, although he did pick up a knock shortly after coming on.

Some interesting points here, especially the 3-2-4-1 formation...

Throughout the match, the announcers kept saying how poor West Ham were allowing Dele to have all that space.

Then you realize it’s because that’s exactly how Jose drew it up for us to play.

Actual legit tactics after only 2 days at the club. Get excited

Afternoon all...

I've only seen the motd highlights rather than the full game but have seen a couple of mentions of us playing more 'long balls' than previously. From what I have seen it looked like we were happy to play a pass that bypassed the midfield if it was on, as opposed to lumping it long looking for the knock down.

Anyone that's seen the full match confirm/deny?
Much more long balls.....not hoofs, but measured long passes from Toby and Dier.
No different to how Liverpool play

Neither Winks nor Dier were particularly hiding from the ball yesterday when West Ham upped their intensity levels, although the defensive shield they provided was a bit flaky. We were going long from the back, bypassing the midfield, and not able to make it stick up top, so we started to endure waves of pressure. But there were moments in the latter parts of the game where everyone from Rose to Eriksen had opportunities to help us retain possession, and squandered it very cheaply. There were at least 2 instances of Rose doing this, which is where Davies' withdrawal possibly hurt us a bit. Sissoko was rancid, although he did pick up a knock shortly after coming on.

In the first half Dier received the ball 32 times, in the second half 14. In the last 36 minutes he received the ball 6 times. Those numbers back up what I am saying. None of those numbers (even the first half) are indicative of a player who particularly wants to be on he ball, but the drop off is absolutely stark and shows a player actively hiding because pressure is on. And it was a similar story for Winks 30/16/10.

You will argue that we as a team ran out of gas, but it's at best a 50/50 scenario - one of the reasons we ran out of gas was, as you said earlier, we lacked players who wanted to take the ball once the pressure was on, and a massive part of that is the midfield, if the midfield stops wanting the ball there is no way out but to whack it long, and wait for it to keep coming back, there is no conduit. And this has been Poch's biggest flaw in the last 2/3 years - asking CM2's with people like Dier and Sissoko to be conduits from defence to attack - players that don't want the ball under duress and don't pass it well when they are not.

As I said yesterday (and again in my reply to you above) there were options, like Lo Celso, that could have helped this, helped the midfield out.

What Mourinho did do better yesterday immediately was simplify the format, simplify the instructions and remits players were given within that (which I alluded to in my post yesterday - and he mentions around 6 min into ArtyB's vid on page 115). I also liked the vid above where we see Mourinho's more tactically pragmatic (but smarter for our players) one FB pushed up not both approach, with the quick Sanchez on the right side where Aurier (also quicker and more energetic than Davies the other side) was pushed up more often. Immediately we are seeing a coach with a better tactical intuition, better marrying personnel to a tactical format and tactical application.

Proper manager....very impressed with him so far. Genuinely seems to have gained a lot from being out the game.
And yet cunto journalists/pundits were saying last night that he is finished. Well, fuck them. And fuck Gary Lineker.

In the first half Dier received the ball 32 times, in the second half 14. In the last 36 minutes he received the ball 6 times. Those numbers back up what I am saying. None of those numbers (even the first half) are indicative of a player who particularly wants to be on he ball, but the drop off is absolutely stark and shows a player actively hiding because pressure is on. And it was a similar story for Winks 30/16/10.
I have done my video analysis and what I can tell you is that there were only 1 or 2 occasions when they didn't particularly look they wanted to make an angle for a pass in the last 25 mins or so. If you want, and before you go down your rabbithole of fogging stats, I will pick out the exact times for you.

Just seen the best thing ever on sKUMB.

In a nutshell, Spurs are 'massive chokers' because we only won 3-2 (from being 3-0 up).

What fucking world to those Danny Dyer/walk like you've shit yourself nomarks live in?

Back
Top Bottom