Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s a man and he’ll take one for the team all day long. Manager has made it clear it was tactical to the whole world so he won’t have to carry that 28 minute sub around with him.

And that’s the difference. You sub for the good of the team and the club, not to be nice.

I know I said the "Dier project might be over" yesterday but after listening to Mourinho's comments after the match, Dier's still in his plans.

Mourinho will take a different approach, I'd say. Instead of starting him to regain form, Dier will make 15-20min sub appearances.

Is it just me or was he actually a lot more mobile when he was playing in DM a couple of years ago? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a Kante type midfielder or anything but he seemed to be able to move and react a lot quicker and not get caught out so much. Now he seems a lot slower and can't seem to get close to smaller nippy attackers. Winks actually does a much better job of getting his foot in than Dier. Hopefully he turns it around.

Yes, I remember Dier always had decent pace before. Never this slow. It's tragic, so many of our defensive players have lost their legs.

He’s a man and he’ll take one for the team all day long. Manager has made it clear it was tactical to the whole world so he won’t have to carry that 28 minute sub around with him.

And that’s the difference. You sub for the good of the team and the club, not to be nice.

Of course the manager will try to protect the player, 'cos it's always controversial with first half subs. Even though he said it could have been a CB or Winks istead, I don't believe him. The sad fact is, that Dier hasn't played well.

Always liked Dier, seems like an intelligent chap with strong mental attributes. Probably why manages seem to rate him...

However, think the game as somewhat moved past the more static guard type DM ( see Matic). Gone are the days of a Kurt Zouma playing there ( see ‘16 LC final ).

Feel like if given a fair chance, he could make a very good centre back. However, he’s not dynamic, nippy and technically gifted enough to play in our midfield. Unfortunately with teams now pressing like crazy, he seems unable to receive the ball with his back to play and turn out... which is imperative from a DM.

I’d be interested to see if Winks and Tunguy can muster enough defensive qualities between them ...

Can't quite tell the context of this video, is it to make him look good or bad? I'd say the latter.
Form your own opinion man. I was rewatching the match couple of days ago and he didnt look that bad at all early on. Thought Id keep a count of how many good things he did and made this clip video. Decided he wasnt that bad really. Was shite in the second half though, was difficult to find anything he did that was useful.

Yes, I remember Dier always had decent pace before. Never this slow. It's tragic, so many of our defensive players have lost their legs.

It's not just about the slow-quick thing. Much too simplistic.

His whole movement pattern is struggling. He looks exhausted even from the first minute, struggles with his dexterity when aligning his body, with changing direction with and without the ball, lateral movement ... all of it.

Back
Top Bottom