Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The post above nails it. Wish him well and I hope when replaced he is replaced by a player with the same or more technical ability not another lung on legs. But its time to write of the last of Franco Baldini's mistakes. Eriksen being the honorable exception and he needs to leave as well.

Not even funny.

Another "out-of-nowhere" injury, and ManU game will already be his 8th to miss in a row. And we all know there will be more.

Or to put it differently - this season he has been in starting XI 8 times. And he has been out injured for 8 times. So damn unreliable player.
This isn't out of nowhere, it's all related to his back and his hip (chicken and egg on what comes first).

I can say this because I've had a history of back and hip injuries which also manifest into hamstring issues. It's a fucking nightmare to isolate and fix, in fact as we are seeing you can't fix them. You can stabilize and get a period where everything is right, then it will go again, caused by a tackle, getting out of bed or in and out of a car. You then have to go through a long period of rehab and then the cycle starts again, and so on.

It will be even harder to get right whilst competing at an elite level because you are having to train as hard to get selection, which on its own could mean you can break down any day.

That list isn't complete. Didn't he get injured last season around March?
I actually don't think his injuries are as bad as people say, .
Fucking hell mate..

Every season he goes missing for months with injuries no one has ever seen him suffer. Kane gets injured on the pitch and you see 20 different angles of his ankle folding up.
Lamela is there one week, gone for 4 months the next.

Fucking hell mate..

Every season he goes missing for months with injuries no one has ever seen him suffer. Kane gets injured on the pitch and you see 20 different angles of his ankle folding up.
Lamela is there one week, gone for 4 months the next.
Are you sure? as far as I can tell the only long term injury Lamela's suffered since the 13 month hip thing is March 2019 (out for 7~8 weeks). Could be wrong though. been looking at his appearances history on transfermarkt and the only time he's been out of the squad (not on the bench or started) for more than a week is that two month period last season.

I personally think we need him back in the top 4. Before he went down he was creating far more chances than Lucas brings and we all know how much work he puts in defensively.

Unfortunately the dude is made of glass.

I would love to see him play with Lo Celso and Ndombele. They all play a very similar one touch, give and go style.

I personally think we need him back in the top 4. Before he went down he was creating far more chances than Lucas brings and we all know how much work he puts in defensively.

Unfortunately the dude is made of glass.

I would love to see him play with Lo Celso and Ndombele. They all play a very similar one touch, give and go style.

If he could come back during December and manage the rest of the season without being injured, that would be amazing and do so much to restore faith in his fitness.

Are you sure? as far as I can tell the only long term injury Lamela's suffered since the 13 month hip thing is March 2019 (out for 7~8 weeks). Could be wrong though. been looking at his appearances history on transfermarkt and the only time he's been out of the squad (not on the bench or started) for more than a week is that two month period last season.

In terms of league games he's played 138 out of a possible 242 so in 6 full seasons and a bit, he's missed 104 matches.
That's just premier league games and doesn't differentiate between starts/subs
Without knowing how many cup games in all cups Spurs played in each of the seasons I can't tell you how many cup games he's missed in addition to those 104 games.

He is quite literally stealing a squad space from a player who will be available to play a lot more often.

In terms of league games he's played 138 out of a possible 242 so in 6 full seasons and a bit, he's missed 104 matches.
That's just premier league games and doesn't differentiate between starts/subs
Without knowing how many cup games in all cups Spurs played in each of the seasons I can't tell you how many cup games he's missed in addition to those 104 games.

He is quite literally stealing a squad space from a player who will be available to play a lot more often.

Hmmmm..... Squad player plays 57% of league matches + cup games (which are a less regular proposition so would only serve to bring that overall % up).

When you further consider GLC & Sessengon can't get a sniff even with Lamela on the sidelines and CE in semi-exile; that's a pretty hysterical assessment on your part regarding what is arguably our 6th choice AM.

Hmmmm..... Squad player plays 57% of league matches + cup games (which are a less regular proposition so would only serve to bring that overall % up).

When you further consider GLC & Sessengon can't get a sniff even with Lamela on the sidelines and CE in semi-exile; that's a pretty hysterical assessment on your part regarding what is arguably our 6th choice AM.
At least they're both able to play. I wont say always as they've both had injuries already this season.
The issue with Lamela is not about what he can do on the pitch, it's how often he's not able to get on it.
I also wouldn't call one of our most expensive ever signings a squad player.

At least they're both able to play. I wont say always as they've both had injuries already this season.
The issue with Lamela is not about what he can do on the pitch, it's how often he's not able to get on it.

Which ignores my point entirely about games played and your hysterical phrasing.

"Stealing" a wage and/or a squad spot is David Bentley not Erik Lamela.

I also wouldn't call one of our most expensive ever signings a squad player.

What is he then?

Much of the butthurt surrounding Lamela is a byproduct of his fee... It was 6 years ago and the club decided to extend his deal since. It's a shame peeps aren't over the price tag by now.

Should Dele only be a bench warmer cos "he only cost 5 mill"?

We have distinct issues with this squad... Once again, despite his detractors getting restless, EL is not a significant one.

Cant rely on him, it's a simple as that.

He gives his all when he is fit but he's guaranteed to miss around 3-4 months each season and you cant be using up expensive wages and a place in a 25 man squad when you have chronic injury problems.

Both Lamela and Wanyama need to move on to less demanding leagues

He's finished with us - anyone who refuses to see that is in denial unfortunately. Sad but true

Time to move on - when he played he did always give 120% for which I'll always respect him. And he hated Cuntshire which is a massive bonus

That list isn't complete. Didn't he get injured last season around March?
I actually don't think his injuries are as bad as people say, his injury history is actually skewed by that horrible long-term absence from 2016~2017 which I think he's done fantastically to get back from. Since then his injury history hasn't been that much worse than say Dele's or Kane's. It's possible he could be mostly injury free for the rest of the season, or so I'm hoping. I just want to credit him massively for playing well after such a long absence, his career is far from over whether it be with us or at some other club.

Yes, Kane gets injuries when someone breaks his ankle.
As you said, Erik has similar kind of record just by lacing his boots ffs. I don't recall any contact injuries from him of late. If he'd get such tackles on top oh his "regular" injuries, he'd play once in season.. 4 minutes each time... from subbing on until he'd be pulling hammie or smth.

Which ignores my point entirely about games played and your hysterical phrasing.

"Stealing" a wage and/or a squad spot is David Bentley not Erik Lamela.

What is he then?

Much of the butthurt surrounding Lamela is a byproduct of his fee... It was 6 years ago and the club decided to extend his deal since. It's a shame peeps aren't over the price tag by now.

Should Dele only be a bench warmer cos "he only cost 5 mill"?

We have distinct issues with this squad... Once again, despite his detractors getting restless, EL is not a significant one.

To some extent I agree... maybe "stealing" wage is bit harsh.
But that does not change the fact that he is extremely unreliable. I don't care at all about this "nr of EPL games" metric. If you are coming back from injury and getting on for last 3 minutes of the game is not worth anything.

He has played 11 488 minutes for us. That is equivalent of 128 full games.
He has been with us for 6.5 seasons now. That makes total of less than 20 full games across all competitions!

In EPL he has only played for 8013 minutes, that makes equivalent of 89 games. Out of 244 if we count the Burnely game in. So since his arrival he's been involved in 36,5% of playing time.

If we compare it to Son's results - he joined us 2 seasons later.
He has racked up 8585 minutes with that time. Equivalent of 95 games. And been involved in 57% of all the time played. And we all know, he had also slow start to Spurs career. And he's been away for international duty.

But that is all about number of minutes played. Baseline for me is that squad player should be reliable - he should be there to be called upon... you know, like when we were doing bad in EPL in spring. Or now when we could use all the help possible to turn around awful start of the season... but he is not here.

So yea, love the fella, but we need to aim higher if we want to improve. Some of the memories he has given us will live long in the collective memory, but no room to be sentimental in this instance.

Dear Erik,

I saw this and thought of you.

38653faa63f7e845c27b58d273b92686-full.jpg

With Love.

Back
Top Bottom