The 1901 Cup Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And our lads

2436545spurs1901.JPG

A pic of the Sheff Utd team. Foulke sort of stands out!

What I am wondering is why Mr Spock is there standing on the right?

Sheffield_United_FC_1901_team.jpg

Sheffield United played an away match and someone forgot to pack Foulke's shirt. A desperate attempt to find a replacement shirt large enough for him at a local sports shop proved fruitless, so he played the match wrapped in a bed-sheet.

Despite the muddy conditions, Foulke didn't concede and was spotless after the match.

Hence the term "keeping a clean sheet" for goalkeepers was born.

Sheffield United played an away match and someone forgot to pack Foulke's shirt. A desperate attempt to find a replacement shirt large enough for him at a local sports shop proved fruitless, so he played the match wrapped in a bed-sheet.

Despite the muddy conditions, Foulke didn't concede and was spotless after the match.

Hence the term "keeping a clean sheet" for goalkeepers was born.
Cheers. Love anecdotes like that.

Its a geek off.

"I have never been to a game but I have a fully intact; still in its plastic; programme of the 1932 league cup 3rd round clash with Aldershot Town, or Aldershot FC as they were known back then" *Nasal voice*

It was an effort to attract more supporters for their matches - don't forget that Chelsea had never kicked a ball in anger before they joined the Second Division, so the owners were looking for any way possible to increase their gates and Foulke was a great crowd-puller.

I read somewhere that the ball boys used to stand directly behind the goal to Foulke's left and right, in an attempt to make the goal seem even smaller to the opposition, given that he covered most of the area with his bulk, this was supposed to intimidate any attempt at an attack by the opposing team, and as MFF has already said, it was a crowd pleaser, an early example of attracting support. Love the innocence of it all.

It was an effort to attract more supporters for their matches - don't forget that Chelsea had never kicked a ball in anger before they joined the Second Division, so the owners were looking for any way possible to increase their gates and Foulke was a great crowd-puller.
Ah right - and I never knew that about Chelsea going straight into the league

Its a geek off.

"I have never been to a game but I have a fully intact; still in its plastic; programme of the 1932 league cup 3rd round clash with Aldershot Town, or Aldershot FC as they were known back then" *Nasal voice*

I think you will find that that programme may well be priceless, does it say in the pre match notes that the game will have to be postponed due to the fact that the competion will not actually be starting until 1960.
:gio:

He played 35 times for Chelsea, but continued to gain weight. This is what he looked like in his Chelsea days.

SHEFFUfoulke3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom