The offside rule

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question...

I hear a lot being said about the rules saying that you are offside if a part of your body you can score with is ahead of the second to last defender but I've checked the rules and, unless I'm missing something, there is no specific mention of this.

It says instead that a player's hand or arm does not count as part of their body when judging if the player is ahead of the defender.

My interpretation of the inclusion of that phrase is not because it is illegal to score with either the hand or arm but because they are the parts of the body that naturally extend furthest forward when a player is active.

So a player may be pointing to show where he wants the ball as it is being played and that he shouldn't be penalised for doing so if that is what has caused him to be ahead of the defender.

No, they're not the same thing.

Because people have been saying 'but you can't score with your armpit' as though it's relevant to the rule and I'm saying that isn't.
You can score with your armpit

*edit.. As long as it doesn't hit upper arms

Last edited:
No, they're not the same thing.

Because people have been saying 'but you can't score with your armpit' as though it's relevant to the rule and I'm saying that it isn't.
But you can score with your shoulder and that’s the part of the body they draw the lines from, not the armpit.

Also you will need to look at when the rule was originally defined not what it is now as its both the same thing.

This wording is more defined not the reason for it

Annoying as it is, offside is offside, even if it's by 1mm. The problem is that linesmen should be putting up their flags when someone's scores and there's even a possibility it might be offside. They should only keep it down when they're 100% certain it was onside.

You can score with your armpit

A lot of people have been disagreeing with that over the last few days.

And the whole basis for that disagreement is over the belief that the one of the factors of the offside rule is whether it's a body part you can score with and that has caused the confusion when in fact there is no mention of that in the rules that I can see.

If I am mistaken and there is a specific reference to the illegality of scoring with your hand or arm as being the reason for its inclusion in determining whether a player is offside then please show me where it is because I can't see any reference to it at all.

Annoying as it is, offside is offside, even if it's by 1mm. The problem is that linesmen should be putting up their flags when someone's scores and there's even a possibility it might be offside. They should only keep it down when they're 100% certain it was onside.

I'm not debating that. That's not what I'm saying.

A lot of people have been disagreeing with that over the last few days.

And the whole basis for that disagreement is over the belief that the one of the factors of the offside rule is whether it's a body part you can score with and that has caused the confusion when in fact there is no mention of that in the rules that I can see.

If I am mistaken and there is a specific reference to the illegality of scoring with your hand or arm as being the reason for its inclusion in determining whether a player is offside then please show me where it is because I can't see any reference to it at all.
If they are disagreeing they are wrong... Armpit is not your arm or hand

The confusion is not knowing the rules... Armpit is ok, shoulder is OK you are allowed to score with these body parts

You can’t score with your armpit because that would mean the ball had made contact with your upper arm. The shoulder is a different part of one’s anatomy. You can’t run up the pitch with the ball under your armpit, that’s ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom