Gedson Fernandes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

20:41

BREAKING NEWS
Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes is expected to fly to London in the next 48 hours to complete his 18 month loan move to Tottenham.
The two clubs have agreed a deal in principle and are finalising terms.
Personal terms are not expected to be a problem.

Doesn't sound like what we need at all. Hopefully this is just a free hit loan signing to add bodies until Sissoko and Ndombele are back. But he doesn't sound ready to replace either of those. And could take minutes from GLC, who for some reason Mourinho still seems unconvinced by.

Why would he take minutes from GLC when he's a completely different player?

Eriksen is the one taking minutes from GLC.

Mourinho spoke about January being a market of opportunities, meaning we can only react to what becomes available. The players we really want will only be gettable in the summer.
Why would he take minutes from GLC when he's a completely different player?

Eriksen is the one taking minutes from GLC.
Gedson best as a number 8. GLC can play as an 8. Just as Eriksen can too (and did yesterday).

Mourinho spoke about January being a market of opportunities, meaning we can only react to what becomes available. The players we really want will only be gettable in the summer.

Gedson best as a number 8. GLC can play as an 8. Just as Eriksen can too (and did yesterday).

That doesn't mean he'll be taking minutes from GLC at all.

That doesn't mean he'll be taking minutes from GLC at all.
GLC can play more than one position, including as an 8 (where he played plenty of minutes for PSG). I think probably 10 is his best position, but Mou will always pick Dele over him there it seems. My point is Gedson increases the competition for at least one of the positions we could be playing GLC. So fewer minutes.

Apparently a medical is scheduled. Didn’t Ndombele have one of those?:deledoubt:
news-graphics-2004-_578669a.jpg

Lo Celso is solidifying his place in the team. If Gedson does the same, it means dier gets pushed to reserve minutes, and winks becomes a sub/rotation option. The middle when healthy could be - depending on how Mourinho lines up his defence:

Ndombele---Gedson
LoCelso

Winks would be rotation for Gedson (or vice versa, but I'm sick of winks so I'm hoping Gedson out performs him), Dele for Lo Celso, and sissoko for Ndombele or Gedson depending on need.

Given injuries, this seemed necessary more or less. But when healthy, we surely have a surplus of players in these positions now.

Though if mourinho actually rotates, this helps us shore up our midfield for cups.

It's just mindboggling that we signed someone in our most crowded position, as opposed to striker, RB, or pure destroyer.

Lo Celso is solidifying his place in the team. If Gedson does the same, it means dier gets pushed to reserve minutes, and winks becomes a sub/rotation option. The middle when healthy could be - depending on how Mourinho lines up his defence:

Ndombele---Gedson
LoCelso

Winks would be rotation for Gedson (or vice versa, but I'm sick of winks so I'm hoping Gedson out performs him), Dele for Lo Celso, and sissoko for Ndombele or Gedson depending on need.

Given injuries, this seemed necessary more or less. But when healthy, we surely have a surplus of players in these positions now.

Though if mourinho actually rotates, this helps us shore up our midfield for cups.

It's just mindboggling that we signed someone in our most crowded position, as opposed to striker, RB, or pure destroyer.

I like it. 3 weeks ago most of us hadn't heard of Gedson and none of us had seen him play. Now he is in our first time. By next month he'll be a club legend and we'll be holding his testimonial in the summer no doubt.

Striker we are by all accounts working on. But RB and DM I think comes down to there not really being any available in January that fits our profile.

But in the summer we should be all over Patrick burner for the RB spot.

Back
Top Bottom