Erling Braut Haaland - The future of football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Transferred to Dortmund for 18m. Scored 5 in 2 games from the subs bench.

Shows how stupid man united are. They could have signed him, except they didnt like his 51m buyout clause. They could have had a top striker for 2 or 3 years whilst they rebuild.

Too much pride.

Shows how stupid man united are. They could have signed him, except they didnt like his 51m buyout clause. They could have had a top striker for 2 or 3 years whilst they rebuild.

Too much pride.
I'm pretty sure they couldn't sign him and that was a story to appease their fans.

He has made the right choices on his career over prestige at every stage, dortmunf fits in with that Oles United does not.

I'm pretty sure they couldn't sign him and that was a story to appease their fans.

He has made the right choices on his career over prestige at every stage, dortmunf fits in with that Oles United does not.

It certainly helps if your dad was a pro footballer. The buy out clauses at each stage of his development was masterstroke.

We need to try and be the English equivalentof dortmund.

Too much pride.
They couldn't .... he wanted to sign for a low fee with a low buyout to a club that would guarantee him playing time and allow him to move on in twelve months if a 'big' club came calling ... how does that work for any club looking long term?

There will be more of these 'feeder club deals' there already are, the downside for teams like Dortmund is they will constantly be in rebuilding mode with their best players always leaving ... makes the owners a lot of money, but over time will piss off a lot of their fans.

Imagine us selling Kane or Dele on a buyout clause for half their real value a year into a three year contract ... the Levy haters would explode.

They couldn't .... he wanted to sign for a low fee with a low buyout to a club that would guarantee him playing time and allow him to move on in twelve months if a 'big' club came calling ... how does that work for any club looking long term?

There will be more of these 'feeder club deals' there already are, the downside for teams like Dortmund is they will constantly be in rebuilding mode with their best players always leaving ... makes the owners a lot of money, but over time will piss off a lot of their fans.

Imagine us selling Kane or Dele on a buyout clause for half their real value a year into a three year contract ... the Levy haters would explode.

His clause is activated after 2 years. Its win win. You get a top striker for 18m. You cant get even get a championship player for that.

Dele Alli wasnt good enough to demand that sort of arrangement.

Only the absolute best generational talent can walk into a club like dortmund and demand a buyout clause aged 19.

The idea for us or united is you grow the team to match the players ambitions. A bit like what we did with Kane. We grew as a club since he made his debut so there was no need to leave.

Obviously there is a chance you could lose a prospect, but at least you get a reputation for development and that attracts the next generation.

Too much pride.
Top striker? You've watched a lot of this player? I would hazard a guess the answer is no...

BTW, he's a staunch Leeds fan, so I doubt he'd play for Utd.

Good post from red cafe. I agree with this but could never be arsed to write that much. Hope we go down the route whilst we rebuild.

Of course I understand that buyout clauses have negative consequences for clubs and I also fully understand that elite clubs are willing to pay higher wages in order to compensate players for not having one. However, I'm speaking of this particular case, not the general one.

For me, your arguments ultimately come down to pride and pride is generally speaking a bad advisor when doing business. Assuming that Haaland generally preferred you over Dortmund, the choice for you was between signing him with a buyout option or not signing him at all. You guys think "we're Manchester United. Barcelona and Madrid don't grant players buyout clauses and we are also a big club, so why should we?" when you should actually be asking "why can Madrid and Barcelona sign those players without clauses and we can't?"I know it's a bitter pill to swallow but at the very moment, you don't have this third option of paying higher wages and not grant buyout clauses at all anymore. You are all like "Dortmund is a selling club, we aren't" when the whole point of being a "selling club" is that you develop players of a quality you otherwise wouldn't get your hands on. And that's exactly the problem you're having: The elite isn't willing to sign for you any longer. If a player nowadays plans his career, you aren't his ultimate destination. You may be considered as an intermediate stop but not the club he wants to spend his prime years at. Acting like a top club doesn't automatically make you one. Imagine a random small club would just copy that behaviour and in negotiations with a highly promising youngster would say "no, we won't give you a buyout clause. Sign for us without one or sign for someone else." This would just come across as silly. You can only play that card when you actually have the position of strength necessary for it and United IMO lacks this international standing.

In essence, you are still acting like you're one of the absolute top clubs when you actually aren't any longer. My point is that instead of refusing reality you should accept your current position and think of a way to regain your previous status. And for that, Haaland would've been a great signing. You argue "we develop him for 2 years and then he signs for City and Liverpool? Nah." but you'd have sorted out your striker problems for 2.5 years with a guy who's already good enough to lead the line at a top club and guarantee you 20+ goals a season and if he eventually leaves then this sends a signal into the world that improves your reputation as a good place to develop for young players. And in the meantime of those 2.5 years you'd have time to scout a successor for Haaland without pressure. And if he really leaves for one of your biggest rivals, what's the problem? If he goes there after spending 1.5 or 2.5 years at Dortmund, you'll get the same result.

So in the end, all of your issues with this deal are of symbolic nature. I don't get this kind of thinking. Imagine for once that you applied the same strategic approach Dortmund is currently applying. Take a step back, build up a young, talented squad and sign players like Hakimi, Sancho, Haaland, Brandt, Dembele, etc. and don't block their development by having (or signing) experienced players in your squad that may be just a little bit better right now but ultimately have a much lower ceiling. Over 1-2 years, you'd assemble an extremely talented squad with a great promising player in every position, pretty much like Dortmund has now. The only difference is, you have the financial prowess Dortmund lacks. That means you have much better chances of actually retaining those players. Imagine Dortmund could go into negotiations with Sancho, offer twice his salary and say that the strategy for the upcoming years is to hold this squad together, spend big on another two or three top stars and ultimately challenge for big titles. You certainly could. Of course one or two of those players would still leave but that doesn't matter, a club can compensate that. Liverpool also lost Coutinho who seemed irreplaceable for quite a while. And they lost Sterling to City. That's part of the business, everyone has to go through it.

Thing is, you want to make the second step before the first. You want to avoid the uncomfortable part and you are doing that for far too long already, essentially making matters worse.

Oh shut up old. Man. Your opinions are irrelevant. Do you even watch football?
Oh now you're an ageist as well as a sexist a homophobe and a racist.

bitch.png

Scumbag of a person.

His clause is activated after 2 years. Its win win. You get a top striker for 18m. You cant get even get a championship player for that.

Dele Alli wasnt good enough to demand that sort of arrangement.

Only the absolute best generational talent can walk into a club like dortmund and demand a buyout clause aged 19.

The idea for us or united is you grow the team to match the players ambitions. A bit like what we did with Kane. We grew as a club since he made his debut so there was no need to leave.

Obviously there is a chance you could lose a prospect, but at least you get a reputation for development and that attracts the next generation.

You have the release clause slightly wrong, it applies now 2020 for the right amount (50m?) it decreases in two years when he also has a guaranteed pay rise.

Haaland includes escape clause in his Dortmund contract
Erling Haaland's Borussia Dortmund Contract & Mino Raiola's Commission Revealed

The transfer also includes massive payments to his dad and his agent agent and a future share of transfer profit ... it's simply not a deal Utd or Spurs are currently very likely to offer.

More and more players are demanding buy-out clauses but most aren't willing to join a smaller club and accept a lower salary to build their reputation - fair play to Haaland for believing in himself - if he keeps up the current form chances are good that he will move again in the summer ... come on Levy get in there

Go away, cretin.
Cretin?

You start a thread about a 19 year player who you most likely had never heard of until today, much less seen play, calling Man Utd stupid for not signing him (probably been better off in the Utd thread) yet I'm the cretin.

The player is a staunch Leeds fan (quick google would have helped you).

haha. Cunt.

Cretin?

You start a thread about a 19 year player who you most likely had never heard of until today, much less seen play, calling Man Utd stupid for not signing him (probably been better off in the Utd thread) yet I'm the cretin.

The player is a staunch Leeds fan (quick google would have helped you).

haha. Cunt.
I think Alan Smith was too tbf, doubt it would be a big factor in him not going there.

It certainly helps if your dad was a pro footballer. The buy out clauses at each stage of his development was masterstroke.

We need to try and be the English equivalentof dortmund.

Adopt a selling/stepping stone club model you mean?

That will go down very well with the discontents, I'm sure.

You have the release clause slightly wrong, it applies now 2020 for the right amount (50m?) it decreases in two years when he also has a guaranteed pay rise.

Haaland includes escape clause in his Dortmund contract
Erling Haaland's Borussia Dortmund Contract & Mino Raiola's Commission Revealed

The transfer also includes massive payments to his dad and his agent agent and a future share of transfer profit ... it's simply not a deal Utd or Spurs are currently very likely to offer.

More and more players are demanding buy-out clauses but most aren't willing to join a smaller club and accept a lower salary to build their reputation - fair play to Haaland for believing in himself - if he keeps up the current form chances are good that he will move again in the summer ... come on Levy get in there

fair enough on the money side

A move to us from Dortmund is a bit sideways. I doubt he would leave Dortmund to come here. Especially with our policy of Kane playing every game.

Cant see him going to Woolwich or Chelsea. Neither City, not while pep is around. United are a shambles.

Only move would be Liverpool, or us if we sold Kane.

Hes going to Madrid I reckon. Hes perfect to replace Benzema.

Back
Top Bottom