Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not saying that it was definitely a binary choice between Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes, but if it was then I can't say I'm heartbroken over the way around it's worked out.

And that's in no small part due to the way Gio has come out of his shell recently and is starting to look every inch the exciting creative player that we had hoped.

Also he's more handsome than Bruno.
:ledleylick:

Odd really that of all the poor transfers Poch made/ oversaw / happened on his watch

(all depending on where you stand on the Poch transfer positioning )

that Ndombele and Lo Celso could turn out to be his finest and he’s not about to coach them

Really looking forward to seeing him getting a run of games, growing into his position and gaining in confidence and influence.

I can’t help but think his deal was actually tied up a couple of weeks ago as that’s when his form improved. The security of knowing he had a permanent deal could well of had an effect.

Odd really that of all the poor transfers Poch made/ oversaw / happened on his watch

that Ndombele and Lo Celso could turn out to be his finest and he’s not about to coach them

Maybe that's the point if they do become the finest; that he didn't coach them. I'm not saying this is the case, but it would be an interesting discussion if they do come good.

Maybe that's the point if they do become the finest; that he didn't coach them. I'm not saying this is the case, but it would be an interesting discussion if they do come good.
I’m not sure it is. Poch did wonders with the coaching of ... for example rose and walker

but central midfield players. They’ve either the talent and know how to succeed or they haven’t . We’ve spent near 100m on those 2 believing they have.

maximising their output for matches and psychologically getting the best out of them throughout the season, I get your point but I dont think any manager can turn a intrinsically good player bad and vice versa .... to the effect of being the deciding factor as to whether ‘they come good’ or not

The problem I have, is that a lot of the players Poch brought in, never got a chance to play enough, in order to succeed. Lo Celso has proven to be good, now that he's had a bit of a run in the team.

Someone like Janssen got 5 minutes at the end of a match here and there. Of course he was never going to light things up with those opportunities.

The problem I have, is that a lot of the players Poch brought in, never got a chance to play enough, in order to succeed. Lo Celso has proven to be good, now that he's had a bit of a run in the team.

Someone like Janssen got 5 minutes at the end of a match here and there. Of course he was never going to light things up with those opportunities.
Janssen was a weird one . Because I think of all the signings not many can argue that he wasn’t a Poch buy.

poch scouted him personally on a number of so must’ve been convinced by what he saw

then what ?? Was he so horrified by what he saw in training that he , as you say, gave him next to fuck all minutes eventually ostracising him .

maybe some would have got more minutes if they were any good

like I think most agree... we’ve bought quite badly last 4 or so years

can you think of anyone you think didn’t succeed because of not being given enough match time .... genuine question

Poch really had this weird philosophy of not rotating (except on the fullbacks). I think he has even talked about it. How he isn't comfortable with rotating players. Which I guess stems in his man management. I think he didn't know how to keep his starters happy if they were rotated.

Up until Poch as good as every manager we've had since Enic took over had at least a secondary 11 to rotate with. It was Poch who implemented the slimmed down squad since rotation is not key to his philosophy. Which worked when our goal was to do well in the league. But now that we are routinely in the CL you need a stronger bench.

can you think of anyone you think didn’t succeed because of not being given enough match time .... genuine question

I couldn't tell you - because I never got the chance to see them play enough. But for example players like Sissoko and Sanchez, you see how much better they are when they get a run of games. No player can go from training for weeks straight in to one match, because they are needed due to an injury or suspension and be at 100%.

Even a player of Luka Modric's capability was widely written off, when he originally played, and was then shunted out to the left side of the midfield. Didn't really start to get any recognition, until he was played in a deeper central role.

While I doubt that a player like N'jie or N'koudou would go on to become players Real Madrid would sign, there may have been a serviceable player in there who could have at least given a different option.
The same goes for someone like Benjamin Stambouli, who could have been a rotation option for Wanyama. He's playing regularly for Schalke in the Bundesliga (currently out injured).

As I say, it's all speculation. I just believe this was a big weakness of Pochettino's, which he will need to learn from to succeed wherever he goes next.

I couldn't tell you - because I never got the chance to see them play enough. But for example players like Sissoko and Sanchez, you see how much better they are when they get a run of games. No player can go from training for weeks straight in to one match, because they are needed due to an injury or suspension and be at 100%.

Even a player of Luka Modric's capability was widely written off, when he originally played, and was then shunted out to the left side of the midfield. Didn't really start to get any recognition, until he was played in a deeper central role.

While I doubt that a player like N'jie or N'koudou would go on to become players Real Madrid would sign, there may have been a serviceable player in there who could have at least given a different option.
The same goes for someone like Benjamin Stambouli, who could have been a rotation option for Wanyama. He's playing regularly for Schalke in the Bundesliga (currently out injured).

As I say, it's all speculation. I just believe this was a big weakness of Pochettino's, which he will need to learn from to succeed wherever he goes next.
Who left us due to not getting matches ..... to go on and shine

I’m thinking it was a case if bought badly and realised it immediately 😂

Who left us due to not getting matches ..... to go on and shine

I’m thinking it was a case if bought badly and realised it immediately 😂

It‘s true, none of them. I’m just wondering how much of it had to do with them being shit, and how much, with them stagnating due to lack of playing time.

We‘ll never know. But at least Lo Celso looks like he could be the player we hoped we‘d be getting. So no point spending too much time with what-ifs.

I mean, that's probably for the best...

Back
Top Bottom