Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Fixed It For You"
Honestly not trying to get into an argument here. But I think the TV money is already flowing. Isn't that why the PL was created? Maximize television contracts?

Far from ITK on Tottenham's finances, but surely the TV money has helped the club invest in the new stadium, practice grounds, etc etc, no?

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Tottenham wants needs a global following. That will help the club grow and stay financially stable. Part of that means playing an unbalanced schedule for TV. It sucks, but it's part of the deal.
You're right of course. It's really depressing. Football is almost unrecognisable to us golden oldies.
On another take, as an American, what do you think about College sports, the revenue generated but not used educationally. The ridiculous amount of money paid to the sports coaches as compared to the academic staff etc etc. My sister is head of a history department in a massive famous university so I know my facts are correct. The Dean of Studies, the most important job on the academic side earns around 800 000. The basketball and football coaches earn 5 and 6 million respectively
So is this a place of higher education or as my sister remarks, a couple of sports teams with some teaching attached? There's definitely something rather disturbing about this.

Did you miss the summation of my ticket cost? I'm just a poor engineer, I rarely travel to away games outside of making the trip to Tulane every year because it's an excuse to go to New Orleans. I'm sure we'll get tonked away at UConn because we don't have a real coach, our best player quit, and everyone else is hurt. I'm not depressed, I promise.
How much is the average ticket to a basketball college game between 2 good teams?

I'm in Amsterdam for a romantic weekend ( techno and drugs) with the missus.. any recommendations for a good sports bar? They love showing Premier League games out there.

Probably be hated on for the Semi ?!
Romantic weekend...
? Why is the missus there????? 😂

Awww, fuck it... go on then...
What's the worst that can happen?

(...other than me looking like a complete tosser with small angry man issues!!)

I’m proud to present TFC’s very own 1882. He’s famous you know. And full of pashun.

cdpvyWp.gif

Top work mate.

Last edited:
Awww, fuck it... go on then...
What's the worst that can happen?

(...other than me looking like a complete tosser with small angry man issues!!)
I’m proud to present TFC’s very own 1882. He’s famous you know. And full of pashun.
Top work mate.

cdpvyWp.gif

:hugoshock::mourfacepalm:

Oh Jeezus, it's worse than I thought!! (...and let's face it, if I had big teeth and glasses, it'd all be a bit "Kloppy")

...ah well, it's done now!

How much is the average ticket to a basketball college game between 2 good teams?
It will vary wildly...depends on the situation. I paid $15 a seat for my tickets away at Tulane in New Orleans, to be 5 rows away from the court. I couldn't get inside Memphis' 18,000 seat arena, even at the very top level for that. The seats I sit in at home, about 20 rows back, sell for $150 for a single game.

If I had to hazard a guess on a ticket between 2 traditionally top 20 programs, I'd say you could probably get in the arena for $200 and anything near the court would be a $500 minimum.

You're right of course. It's really depressing. Football is almost unrecognisable to us golden oldies.
On another take, as an American, what do you think about College sports, the revenue generated but not used educationally. The ridiculous amount of money paid to the sports coaches as compared to the academic staff etc etc. My sister is head of a history department in a massive famous university so I know my facts are correct. The Dean of Studies, the most important job on the academic side earns around 800 000. The basketball and football coaches earn 5 and 6 million respectively
So is this a place of higher education or as my sister remarks, a couple of sports teams with some teaching attached? There's definitely something rather disturbing about this.
Well, it's (obviously) very complicated.

I think the players should be paid and have more freedom to transfer from school to school.

With respect to wages. Nick Saban (Alabama football coach) is making around $6 million/year, but it's paid for by the massive amount of money he brings into the school with all the trophies. No disrespect to your sister (or any educator) but nobody buys tickets to watch her/them teach. Broadcast companies aren't offering billions to schools hoping to broadcast history classes. The coaches make that much money because the market (currently) makes it financially feasible.

The revenue generated doesn't have anything to do with academics, so why should the athletic department that creates the revenue be forced to give it to the Science department just because they don't think it's "fair"? If someone donates $4 million to the History Department (and specifically states it is to support historical studies), the school wouldn't force them to share it with the English Department, or decline the donation.

What MemphisWill MemphisWill said earlier was spot on. Most big time university athletic departments are only lightly subsidized by student fees. Most pay for themselves. And keep in mind that college football and men's basketball are the only two sports that turn a profit for the school. The rest lose money. Further, due to Title IX laws, there must be gender equality in the scholarships/sports offered. So you can't field the only two sports that make money, you have to have an equal number of women's sports.

And she may not admit it, but the academics at schools almost always improve with athletics. When schools succeed in athletics and become national brands, they become more desirable, which leads to an increase in applications, which allows the school to be more selective about the quality of student, and also allows the school to increase tuition, room/board (demand/supply) and (for public schools) gives them greater political cache to get funding for improvements.

The University of Connecticut was an average (at best) public school. A safety-school (backup plan) 30 years ago. Then they won a few national championships in men's and women's basketball, within a decade the state legislature agreed to a massive $1 billion infrastructure improvement plan. New roads, new dorms, new classroom buildings, new student center, etc. The school is now one of the top 40 public schools in the country. The campus is now beautiful (it was dreadful), the infrastructure is state of the art. That doesn't happen without the success in athletics.

So it's a very, very complicated issue.

cdpvyWp.gif

Top work mate.
Thank you for sorting, and thank you for allowing it 1882 1882 . Still don't think it's as embarrassing as my curly permed appearance on national television:)
Brilliant stuff, shows how much it means to us.

Back
Top Bottom