Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bentaleb we signed at about aged 16, maybe 17 tops, first saw him on trial at a youth tournament.

Rose agree.

Reality is plenty of kids most round between academies up to the age of about 16, so its a bit crazy saying X joining an academy at 12 is different from one joining at 14 or 16, they've all been trained elsewhere for a while, often from the age of 8.

For ease I stick to the UEFA definition of a Club Trained player as its an objective definition which has a practical meaning for the squads of all clubs.

I thought Bentaleb signed for us in 2012? He was 17 minimum.

I thought Bentaleb signed for us in 2012? He was 17 minimum.

The wiki entry (if that's where you got your info from) has always been incorrect.

He was at a French side but released and went on trial with several English sides including ourselves (I recall Birmingham City as another). He was never announced by Spurs as a signing so not sure we know the actual date (not that unusual for a youth signing), but he was certainly playing for Spurs for longer than a normal triallists which is why I'm sure he had signed for Spurs.

Wiki and other sources have simply taken the start of the first season after he signed as 'date of signing' just because its the first date they can be certain of.

BTW look at the Parrott situation for comparison - very fuzzy from the time he left Belvadere (Dublin) to signing for Spurs which I think is to go with FIFA rules on tapping up youngsters. I'm pretty sure we 'officially' signed him on his 16th birthday, although he left Belvadere the preceding 30 June (lots of Irish comment to the effect he had left there and joined Spurs) so a gap in time of about 7 months….

Applying the same logic as Parrott to Bentaleb signing on his 16th birthday (first date to legally sign a scholarship contract) or 17th birthday (first date to sign a pro contract), he would have signed in November 2010 or November 2011, although I'm sure he was playing for quite a few months for us before November 2011

Last edited:
The wiki entry (if that's where you got your info from) has always been incorrect.

He was at a French side but released and went on trial with several English sides including ourselves (I recall Birmingham City as another). He was never announced by Spurs as a signing so not sure we know the actual date (not that unusual for a youth signing), but he was certainly playing for Spurs for longer than a normal triallists which is why I'm sure he had signed for Spurs.

Wiki and other sources have simply taken the start of the first season after he signed as 'date of signing' just because its the first date they can be certain of.

BTW look at the Parrott situation for comparison - very fuzzy from the time he left Belvadere (Dublin) to signing for Spurs which I think is to go with FIFA rules on tapping up youngsters. I'm pretty sure we 'officially' signed him on his 16th birthday, although he left Belvadere the preceding 30 June (lots of Irish comment to the effect he had left there and joined Spurs) so a gap in time of about 7 months….

Applying the same logic as Parrott to Bentaleb signing on his 16th birthday (first date to legally sign a scholarship contract) or 17th birthday (first date to sign a pro contract), he would have signed in November 2010 or November 2011, although I'm sure he was playing for quite a few months for us before November 2011

Got it from here:

January 2012 it says.

Obviously they could have just got their info from Wikipedia. It wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't know he was ever on the books. A few years ago his brothers, twins Tyger and Mydas used to play in the same kids village team as a few lads I know. Apparently they just used to run every game between themselves. Would only look for their twin to pass to etc. If I remember rightly Magic (thought he would have been called Magyk) was the younger and supposedly better brother.

Not names I've ever known from a Spurs perspective. Managed to find these.

Not names I've ever known from a Spurs perspective. Managed to find these.

Yeah that’s the lads. I don’t know the story but I think all of the kids got taken out of any academy systems they were in. I *think* it was because the parents wanted all 3 within the same club. I doubt Magic got past U11. As I said I never heard any chat that he was in the Spurs system.

Got it from here:

January 2012 it says.

Obviously they could have just got their info from Wikipedia. It wouldn't surprise me.

A quick research quoting Spurs says he joined us as a triallist in September 20011 - I'm pretty sure it was a few months before that, but its not quick to research that far back for youth players.

Either way this link says he was 16 when signed as a triallist, which is where the debate began.

Last edited:
Why would we not include Rose? He was 16 when we signed him wasn't he? If we can't include Rose we can't really include Bentaleb (who signed when 18)

Rose, Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb and Kane started a fair bit in Poch's first season.

Kane, KWP, Winks, Rose all starting at the Nou Camp was pretty impressive.

I can't really think of a time where we've had 5 without including Rose.

Just to add to that - 5 Academy graduates (Nabil Bentaleb, Ryan Mason, Harry Kane, Danny Rose and Andros Townsend) started the Capital One final at Wembley in Spring 2015, which is a decent showing from the academy in a prestige event, early in Poch reign

Why would we not include Rose? He was 16 when we signed him wasn't he? If we can't include Rose we can't really include Bentaleb (who signed when 18)

Rose, Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb and Kane started a fair bit in Poch's first season.

Kane, KWP, Winks, Rose all starting at the Nou Camp was pretty impressive.

I can't really think of a time where we've had 5 without including Rose.

A quote from Sherwood re Bentaleb :
"He came at 15 years of age after he was released by a few clubs in France so it's not like he was always going to be great, he had to work at it," Sherwood tells Goal.'

Date of quote (I think) is very soon after Poch joined.

If he can come back and make that 3rd choice GK position clearly his, the HG/ Academy training burnen will lessen. Hopeful it happens for him with this loan.
Forget 3rd choice. If he gets a chance at spurs and he takes it that no. 1 spot is his.

I've said many times he can be our first choice for the next decade. But it's crunch time for him now.

Lloris slowly getting to the end now. Don't think Gazza set the world alight this season and vorm is just nicking a living.

Thanks for posting - a welcome new contract for him.

Very decent prospect as a DM/CM - has very good set piece delivery as well with a number of assists in Spurs youth from them. Was an AM in u16's I think, but by u18's was starting further back in that DM/CM position. Mainly left footed.

Played in 4 of last seasons preseason matches mainly as LB (Juventos 30 mins, ManU 28 mins, Bayern 45 mins) as we were short of LB's but also as a CM/DM (v Inter 10 mins) and did well.

Still 18, 19 in September, and possibly needs to bulk up a little for the first team, although he coped fine last preseason.

Forget 3rd choice. If he gets a chance at spurs and he takes it that no. 1 spot is his.

I've said many times he can be our first choice for the next decade. But it's crunch time for him now.

Lloris slowly getting to the end now. Don't think Gazza set the world alight this season and vorm is just nicking a living.

Great to hear. Think he moved ahead of Whiteman in Spurs youth in the last year or so and has done well for Spurs u23's. Seems to be a good mobile 'sweeper keeper' who makes saves and not bad with his feet.

Think its vital the 21 year old has a decent loan at Viborg (his first ever loan - thanks Poch) this half season, maybe a run out in preseason and another decent loan next season before thinking of Spurs though.

A few E u21 appearances would probably help, but quite a bit of competition there I think from the likes of Ramsdale who has already made about 2 dozen appearances for Bournemouth in PL, unless Ramsdale gets moved up to the full E squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom