Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
Woolwich are only 3 points behind us now. Absolutely dreading the NLD unless Kane is back fully fit for it.

If the season is a write off then it's a write off mate. I get a lot of comfort knowing we will be a far better team next season and whatever happens we only have 10-12 games left until it's done one way or another.

The positives are we scored two goals without Sonny and Kane in the team and we twice had the lead. Defensively we made some poor, poor mistakes and were very sloppy which ultimately made those goals and effort completely irrelevant. It's a tough one to take because it was within our grasp for large spells but when you have attackers like they do they will punish anything that's a giveaway. Onto Wednesday we go.

At what point do we call top 4 gone?

When that happens, I want us giving significant minutes to Tango, Skipp and Parrot. Hate it when teams battling for 7th don’t give quality minutes to youngsters at the end of the season. Perfect opportunity to blood them.

When that happens, I want us giving significant minutes to Tango, Skipp and Parrot. Hate it when teams battling for 7th don’t give quality minutes to youngsters at the end of the season. Perfect opportunity to blood them.

When it's mathematically impossible. You don't get anywhere my in life by giving up. Got to keep hammering away as best we can.

If we can be within 5-6 points from it going into the last 6-7 games, a spell where Kane could be coming back then we will have a fighting chance which at this stage is all we can hope for. No giving up though, that's simply not acceptable.

When it's mathematically impossible. You don't get anywhere my in life by giving up. Got to keep hammering away as best we can.

If we can be within 5-6 points from it going into the last 6-7 games, a spell where Kane could be coming back then we will have a fighting chance which at this stage is all we can hope for. No giving up though, that's simply not acceptable.
I don’t agree with that. I’m not suggesting we give up now but there no point ploughing on with this team “until it’s mathematically impossible” when in reality we have no chance.

I think in line with your suggestion, if we’re more than 6 points behind with 5/6 games left we might be better served in the long term to give opportunities to our top youngsters. Imagine uneathing that top quality 2nd striker we’ve been looking for within the ranks!

You can call it gone right about now....I know the mathematics might argue but we don’t even deserve it, in fact the FA should call UFEA and tell them to not bother with 4th place this season as everyone from Chelsea down are a fucking train wreck......4th spot is probably going to be the lowest points in 4th spot history, and the champions are probably going to set a new points record.....funny old season....

Damage was done first half of the season and we haven’t recovered, Simple as that!!

You can call it gone right about now....I know the mathematics might argue but we don’t even deserve it, in fact the FA should call UFEA and tell them to not bother with 4th place this season as everyone from Chelsea down are a fucking train wreck......4th spot is probably going to be the lowest points in 4th spot history, and the champions are probably going to set a new points record.....funny old season....

Damage was done first half of the season and we haven’t recovered, Simple as that!!
Even Leicester aren’t great. The quality below the top 2 is shocking, as evidenced by us and Chelsea taking a pasting in Europe from any decent side.

With how the table is currently, taking in context our fixtures on paper, absolutely not. However, at the same time, it makes sense to say the complete opposite as our players have been playing absolute bollocks since that 1-3 loss to Wolves last season that we don't look like favourites against anyone anymore.

I think it will go down to GW 38 since as like season I don't see us, Leicester, Chelsea, Man United, Wolves, Sheffield and especially Woolwich putting in consistent 3 pointers game after game. Hell in all honestly, the two dark horses (Wolves and Sheffield) looks to be the most realistic sides to achieve that.

Last edited:
If the season is a write off then it's a write off mate. I get a lot of comfort knowing we will be a far better team next season and whatever happens we only have 10-12 games left until it's done one way or another.

The positives are we scored two goals without Sonny and Kane in the team and we twice had the lead. Defensively we made some poor, poor mistakes and were very sloppy which ultimately made those goals and effort completely irrelevant. It's a tough one to take because it was within our grasp for large spells but when you have attackers like they do they will punish anything that's a giveaway. Onto Wednesday we go.

I hope so, but that leads me to have to trust the club will deal properly in the summer, which I’m very sceptical about. So much to do.

Anyway, you never know. I was pleasantly surprised with us today. We were better than I expected but the defending from the whole team was terrible. We look so vulnerable in midfield. They just walked through us. I just don’t know where we go from here and am holding onto the hope than son and Kane come back and win us some games.

I thought the ref gave us nothing today yet again too. Seems to be every game the ref gives us a hard time.

I don’t agree with that. I’m not suggesting we give up now but there no point ploughing on with this team “until it’s mathematically impossible” when in reality we have no chance.

I think in line with your suggestion, if we’re more than 6 points behind with 5/6 games left we might be better served in the long term to give opportunities to our top youngsters. Imagine uneathing that top quality 2nd striker we’ve been looking for within the ranks!

Sorry mate but when there's a potential £100m to be made via qualifying for the Champions League you don't just throw in the towel when anything from 2-5 points separates the positions that could get us qualification. As it stands we are still only one groups worth of fixtures away from being 5th, which gets us Champions League as it stands. How any one could suggest we don't plough away under those circumstances is beyond me.

Quick question. What if we choose to play the youngsters as you've suggested and Kane is back fit in the next 3-4 games. Do you feel throwing the kids in against Burnley away, Man U at home etc would still lookma smart move? We keep plugging away and rightly so mate.

Sorry mate but when there's a potential £100m to be made via qualifying for the Champions League you don't just throw in the towel when anything from 2-5 points separates the positions that could get us qualification. As it stands we are still only one groups worth of fixtures away from being 5th, which gets us Champions League as it stands. How any one could suggest we don't plough away under those circumstances is beyond me.

Quick question. What if we choose to play the youngsters as you've suggested and Kane is back fit in the next 3-4 games. Do you feel throwing the kids in against Burnley away, Man U at home etc would still lookma smart move? We keep plugging away and rightly so mate.
That’s not what I said is it?!

I said if we’re more than 6 points behind with circa 5 games left.......

You said mathematically possible which I dispute. City can still mathematically win the league, I don’t think they should be too worried about it though!!

That’s not what I said is it?!

I said if we’re more than 6 points behind with circa 5 games left.......

You said mathematically possible which I dispute. City can still mathematically win the league, I don’t think they should be too worried about it though!!

Apologies, that's the 2nd time I've skim read and got it wrong with one of your posts 😂.

We still can't get above ourselves, we can't turn our noses up at what Europa League football is and can be. A path into the Champions League, £30m-£40m of revenue and a trophy, not to mention vital experience gained for youngsters at the group stages.

I feel not Champions League, I would definitely want to see the club qualify for the Europa. I'm not a snob and I don't think the club or its fans should be too should it be on offer. With that in mind, go strong until the end.

Apologies, that's the 2nd time I've skim read and got it wrong with one of your posts 😂.

We still can't get above ourselves, we can't turn our noses up at what Europa League football is and can be. A path into the Champions League, £30m-£40m of revenue and a trophy, not to mention vital experience gained for youngsters at the group stages.

I feel not Champions League, I would definitely want to see the club qualify for the Europa. I'm not a snob and I don't think the club or its fans should be too should it be on offer. With that in mind, go strong until the end.
Yeah I can get that. Not often you get an opportunity to give an extended run to some kids without consequences though. It’s a tough one.

We’re shit but even still we’ve still probably been marginally less shit than Chavs and Man U for a while now. Since 9 November, Chavs have picked up 18 points from 16 league games (one third of that haul of 18 against us, of course). The way it’s gone all season, there’s every chance we could find ourselves within touching distance of 4th right until the end, in spite of ourselves. Chavs have Everton at home next weekend and Man U host City in the Manchester derby. Both could well drop point there.

I don’t like the look of our trip to Burnley next weekend. Burnley will go ahead of us, if they win. They’ve won 4 drawn 2 of their last 6. Burnley of course where the rot started this time last year.

Last edited:
Even Leicester aren’t great. The quality below the top 2 is shocking, as evidenced by us and Chelsea taking a pasting in Europe from any decent side.
I’ll give Leicester their dues, they are doing ok, the have got a decent little cushion sitting there in third, all down to such a good start to the season, I keep banging on about how important a good start is to any season.
During our top 2 top 3 days we could easily have won the whole thing at least once if it wasn’t for such slow starts to those seasons, but we just can’t get them going for some reason....Maybe a complete write off season (which this one will soon be) isn’t such a bad thing for us right now, it might wake people the fuck up and shake the club into some kind of urgency when buying new players. Fuck every player we sign seems to need two full seasons before he gets “up to speed”....

Time to cash in a few players to“properly” fund a rebuild I think. Jose needs licence to sell an Alli for example and start to mould a proper team, starting from the back!!
It should be made clear to all concerned next season expiation's are to finish once again in the top 4 and maybe target a domestic cup...the real fun begins the following season....If by then Jose doesn’t make a serious fight for the title then we go again....
Start right now by scrapping the passengers:

Lloris

Aurier
Tango
Sanchez
Sess

Skipp
LoCelso
Bergwijn
N’Dombele

Alli
Parrot

And I’m going to say it, strip that Lloris fucker of the Armband and give it to Sanchez, who is currently playing within himself due to Jan or Toby being the senior figure....

It's not gone.

We, as usual though, just make it incredible difficult for ourselves.

Chelsea seem even more inconsistent than us. And we still have to play United at home.

5 points isn't much. Problem is, Wolves are there and abouts and their fixtures are piss easy (though that's where they tend to drop points)

It's not gone.

We, as usual though, just make it incredible difficult for ourselves.

Chelsea seem even more inconsistent than us. And we still have to play United at home.

5 points isn't much. Problem is, Wolves are there and abouts and their fixtures are piss easy (though that's where they tend to drop points)

Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion
West Ham United Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wolverhampton Wanderers Vs Bournemouth
Aston Villa Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wolverhampton Wanderers Vs Woolwich
Sheffield United Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wolverhampton Wanderers Vs Everton
Burnley Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wolverhampton Wanderers Vs Crystal Palace
Chelsea Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

Plenty of games against relegation scrappers and Euro chasers with the Europa and a very early start to their season to perhaps make them leggy. Focus on ourselves and do what we need to and can and we'll get Europe. If that's the Champions League or Europa League well that's a different thing altogether.

Back
Top Bottom