Coronavirus Crisis

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we continue to have crowds at football stadiums?

• Yes

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 81.7%

• Total voters
The possibility of closed door games are getting bigger. I personally think this is the right move to protect everyone. What do you guys think?

In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09).

So far Coronavirus has claimed under-40 lives in the UK.

DUUGJ1IWAAAfdSX.jpg

Here's the big issue with this thing... with the Flu at least there's a vaccine. But even with a vaccine a ton of people still get it. Also the flu has like a .5% mortality rate. With Coronavirus there's no vaccine so hardly any will be immune and its got 2% mortality rate. So there's a potential for lots and lots of people to get this because its going to spread quickly.

Here's the big issue with this thing... with the Flu at least there's a vaccine. But even with a vaccine a ton of people still get it. Also the flu has like a .5% mortality rate. With Coronavirus there's no vaccine so hardly any will be immune and its got 2% mortality rate. So there's a potential for lots and lots of people to get this because its going to spread quickly.
This. The issue is not the mortality rate. It's that it is a easily spread virus that is still mutating. And if it mutates it makes developing a vaccine that much harder.

This. The issue is not the mortality rate. It's that it is a easily spread virus that is still mutating. And if it mutates it makes developing a vaccine that much harder.
That's the fear anyways, but I don't think there's any evidence yet that it is mutating.

The authorities should turn the East End Athletics Stadium into a Corona Virus holding pen.
There would be zero chance of it spreading any further as the space between infected people would be so vast.

There isn't 'a vaccine for flu', because there are so many different strains of it. So, at the start of each flu season they take an educated guess as to the strain that's most likely to affect people and a vaccine is produced to combat that particular strain. If they're wrong, or you get a different strain the vaccine is useless. This is why some people who have had a flu jab still get the flu.

Personally, I think it's just media-induced panic in the Western World, as usual. In England, at least, people love a non-existent crisis to moan about. Whereas me, I love to moan about people moaning.

Back
Top Bottom