Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was playing as a Kane stand-in. I can't remember whether he was an AM, winger or CF or false 9, but he was our main goal scoring threat. A role he performed admirably.

Yet the common perception was that Lucas was standing in for Kane (he's since been shifted back on the right, with Steevie to the left now Son is out)... Until injury; positionally, Sonny was repeatedly found wide left as usual .

In general Son's main purpose is scoring and creating. Not tackles made or ground covered or all the other spurious stats we use to judge a players performance.

No matter how poor the rest of his performance was against Villa (and it was pretty poor) he scored twice and that's all that I'll measure him by.

Of course it matters; different positions have different responsibilities.

As an AM/winger he's called upon; like you say to help create, but to also link up with others and track back as necessary.... That may not fit your preferred outlook but it is what it is.

Dele's biggest detractors say that unless he's scoring he's useless.... Is it not entirely reasonable to scrutinise Sonny in a similar fashion?

As already stated, in that run of games his goals were masking what was otherwise some pretty poor performances.

BTW I don't mean literally sitting in a deckchair, I'd expect him to take the odd throw in or corner.

Obviously.... I'm not that obtuce.

By the same token a goal doesn't mean you're not required to meet the remaining requirements of your position for the remaining 89minutes.

You said treble

LAUGHABLE
EL, Carabou and Super Cup

The irony of any spurs fan laughing at that trophy haul is pretty hilarious when I’m sure you are one of the people celebrating “getting to” but losing the CL final as a miracle of titanic proportions and something we should tell our kids about.

A little extreme. He scored twice

As I've said before, if a player scores a goal every game he can sit in a deckchair for the rest of the time as far as I'm concerned. Greaves and Lineker did very little 'tracking back'. That was for others.

Scoring goals (and creating for others) is the only reason Son is in the team. He scored twice
He was diabolical and his penalty was a load of shit too

Yeah so as I said at the beginning of this debacle you should apply the exact same logic to Jose.

As long as we win, shut your big fat trap and forget that we was utter shit
Yep. I'd take streaky 1-0 wins every game between now and the end of the season. Presumably you wouldn't?

We tried the expansive 'we'll score more goals than you' under Ardiles. Look where that got us!

Yep. I'd take streaky 1-0 wins every game between now and the end of the season. Presumably you wouldn't?

We tried the expansive 'we'll score more goals than you' under Ardiles. Look where that got us!
I didn’t say I wouldnt take them.

I said you have just waived your right to complain about anything that happens on the pitch, as long as we win.
Don’t worry about all those “journeymen” signings and shite performances as long as we scrape a 93rd winner against relegation fodder.

I didn’t say I wouldnt take them.

I said you have just waived your right to complain about anything that happens on the pitch, as long as we win.
Don’t worry about all those “journeymen” signings and shite performances as long as we scrape a 93rd winner against relegation fodder.
In a nutshell.

I don't care how appalling our performances are(either individually or collectively) as long as we win.

Nope, but you pick the team before the game starts, not after it.

Son starts ahead of Gedson in my book (for all the reasons I've given).
And as I said, even if he’s playing poorly and not scoring and Gedson is playing well and scoring you will pick Son.

Yet you claim “form first always”

I think you are swimming in what I would call a whirlpool of your own piss at this stage

At the risk of repeating myself, Gedson has to string together half a dozen (or more) good performances to threaten Son, and even then I'd probably prefer Son.

Gedson is young, has no form and a limited reputation built in the Portuguese League. Son has several years PL experience and you can rely on him for 10+ goals a season.

EL, Carabou and Super Cup

The irony of any spurs fan laughing at that trophy haul is pretty hilarious when I’m sure you are one of the people celebrating “getting to” but losing the CL final as a miracle of titanic proportions and something we should tell our kids about.
It's not treble fuxking hell

At the risk of repeating myself, Gedson has to string together half a dozen (or more) good performances to threaten Son, and even then I'd probably prefer Son.

Gedson is young, has no form and a limited reputation built in the Portuguese League. Son has several years PL experience and you can rely on him for 10+ goals a season.
And as I said, if Gedson fulfills all of the criteria you have decided warrants a game, while Son is off form, you’d still pick Son.

So, it’s not “form first always” is it.

Back
Top Bottom