Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are so many things wrong with Norwich. One massive issue is they have almost zero width, and playing him at LB was a big factor in that (being that he is right-footed).

When I had a look at Lewis against Leicester, he looked like he was almost incapable of passing a football. One of the Northern Irish guys here said he is nothing more than an athlete.

Ouch, that's a tough verdict. I liked what I saw from him last season (in the Championship)

There are so many things wrong with Norwich. One massive issue is they have almost zero width, and playing him at LB was a big factor in that (being that he is right-footed).

When I had a look at Lewis against Leicester, he looked like he was almost incapable of passing a football. One of the Northern Irish guys here said he is nothing more than an athlete.

This was the general consensus when I asked about him.

I've never been too impressed with Atal and that's down to his lack of defensive abilities. We've already got one RB who can't defend, that ought to be enough.

I understand why ppl get impressed by his YT videos, but i really don't care how many players he's nutmegged, that's not gonna win us games (at least I don't think so).

I'd say Aarons is a better defender and his his price may be foreseeable should Norwich end up going down. Yes, Hakimi would be better than both of them

I think the same about Atal (I've watched him live and quite a few 90's) and have always caveated about his defending, but he is fucking quick, so if he can be educated tactically, he has the pace to get himself out of trouble maybe and he's tenacious enough.

The trouble is, as I always argued when everyone was whining about Trippier, it's not like full backs who are excellent defensively and offensively are ten a penny out there, the ones that are get snapped up pretty quickly (AWB 50 fucking mil eg). I think, with our budget, we need to accept there will possibly be some compromise. But at least Atal has the pace and energy to get up and down for 90 (or did before his injury) and is very direct and can go past players. What he does next needs polish, as does his defending but if he's a third of the price of Aarons, it might be worth a punt. Hell, we might even be in the market for both if we ship out Aurier and KWP.

Well, I was only repeating to you what the Northern Irish guy had said. But you cannot ask me to get inside the mind of Farke. Because there is so much about that Norwich side that makes no sense.

I think we've had this conversation before, I think sometimes it's hard for a club who get promoted with a very proactive ethos or tactical approach to then adapt that to the PL, they know they'll get ripped apart if they play the same way in the PL, but they aren't geared to completely change into a more pragmatic beast, so what you see ends up being a tactical fudge, that is a collective mess.

Maybe?

I've never been too impressed with Atal and that's down to his lack of defensive abilities. We've already got one RB who can't defend, that ought to be enough.
Yes, Hakimi would be better than both of them
But Hakimi can't defend either...like, not at all. Neither 1v1 nor in a unit hence BVB's 3ATB system (also a little protection for Hummels).

I think the same about Atal (I've watched him live and quite a few 90's) and have always caveated about his defending, but he is fucking quick, so if he can be educated tactically, he has the pace to get himself out of trouble maybe and he's tenacious enough.

The trouble is, as I always argued when everyone was whining about Trippier, it's not like full backs who are excellent defensively and offensively are ten a penny out there, the ones that are get snapped up pretty quickly (AWB 50 fucking mil eg). I think, with our budget, we need to accept there will possibly be some compromise. But at least Atal has the pace and energy to get up and down for 90 (or did before his injury) and is very direct and can go past players. What he does next needs polish, as does his defending but if he's a third of the price of Aarons, it might be worth a punt. Hell, we might even be in the market for both if we ship out Aurier and KWP.

I'm just not convinced Nice trusted him defensively prior to his injury. When they played 4 atb it seemed to be Burner at RB and Atal would be pushed up as a wing. When 5 atb Atal would be trusted as WB. Maybe they just prefered him further up as awing, I don't know.

I think we've had this conversation before, I think sometimes it's hard for a club who get promoted with a very proactive ethos or tactical approach to then adapt that to the PL, they know they'll get ripped apart if they play the same way in the PL, but they aren't geared to completely change into a more pragmatic beast, so what you see ends up being a tactical fudge, that is a collective mess.

Maybe?
I don't watch Championship football, generally speaking. They have a striker who, if he doesn't score, is like tits on a bull. Zero physical presence, and boy, does he miss easy chances. A #10 (McClean) who creates nothing. A ponce (Cantwell), for whom there is no obvious position, who has licence to roam all over the place when they have the ball. No wingers and a right-footed LB. Aaron almost always has his back to play when receiving it (and is typically desperately short of passing options), so I think they are making very poor use of him. Can't defend set pieces. Can't score from them either.

Look, I know they spent nothing last summer because they want to be sustainable and all that jazz, and I like the fact that they genuinely want to play football, but the recipe is all wrong.

Here comes the trigger-happy American. What ails you tonight, todd1882 todd1882 , and could you give us the lowdown on Kondogbia?
Your call on Sabitzer. Got that Kagawa, Mkhitaryaoroanian, system player feel all around it. Surprised you fell for this one Klaus. Would have figured you woulda sussed him out just like you did Werner. Perhaps it's just the lack of BuLi that's dulling your senses.

I'll leave the Kondogbia stuff for the more informed lot.

Last edited:
Your call on Sabitzer. Got that Kagawa, Mkhitaryaoroanian, system player feel all around it. Surprised you feel for this one Klaus. Would have figured you woulda sussed him out just like you did Werner. Perhaps it's just the lack of BuLi that's dulling your senses.

I'll leave the Kondogbia stuff for the more informed lot.
I watch more French football than German, Gunter.

I watch more French football than German, Gunter.
Either way your capricious loyalties lie that Bild list was pretty sad (if remotely true). Screamed opportunism, Mendes, and 'we do no scouting'. Would really like to see a name of someone unexpected/relatively unknown. But 2 more Mendes deals sure doesn't say that.

Last edited:
I'm just not convinced Nice trusted him defensively prior to his injury. When they played 4 atb it seemed to be Burner at RB and Atal would be pushed up as a wing. When 5 atb Atal would be trusted as WB. Maybe they just prefered him further up as awing, I don't know.

I think you may be right actually, he has played in a back four this season but having done a bit of digging it looks like he's only actually played orthodox RB in the back four a couple of times, but I think he was just starting to play there more when he got injured, having been gently eased in after the ANC in the summer.

I think you may be right actually, he has played in a back four this season but having done a bit of digging it looks like he's only actually played orthodox RB in the back four a couple of times, but I think he was just starting to play there more when he got injured, having been gently eased in after the ANC in the summer.

It's me getting confused, cos somehow I felt AFCON was only recent, but of course it was all the way back to the summer. So time flies even though this pandemic has killed time

What do you think of young Thuram?

I'm not convinced he'll go all the way and become a star for a top team. I don't think he's as good as a center forward as when he runs at defence from the left wing. Decent player with a great physique, but I'm not as convinced as Todd, that he'll be a good player for us

I don't suppose you know why Nice's home games are so poorly attended?

No idea

Back
Top Bottom