Coronavirus Crisis

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we continue to have crowds at football stadiums?

• Yes

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 81.7%

• Total voters
“We are confident that football can restart in the months to come – with conditions that will be dictated by public authorities – and believe that any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified.

Get the fuck out of here! How the fuck are you confident that football can start in the months to come? There won't be a vaccine found in that time. They just care about money, fuck off!

“We are confident that football can restart in the months to come – with conditions that will be dictated by public authorities – and believe that any decision of abandoning domestic competitions is, at this stage, premature and not justified.

Get the fuck out of here! How the fuck are you confident that football can start in the months to come? There won't be a vaccine found in that time. They just care about money, fuck off!

They're completely deluded. I doubt any sport will be played until September at the earliest. I hope I'm wrong but this shite has months to run before we become anywhere close to a resemblance of normality.

Threatening to remove teams from the CL next season if this one is declared null and void is scandalous as well.

2020 is done.

Unlikely to get a workable vaccine this year

Although it was obvious how removed from reality elite football had become this has really thrown it in to sharp focus and I'm not sure I'm going to feel motivated to follow it so closely once it restarts.

I feel a bit sorry for the people (who I guess by this point are only UEFA execs and Liverpool fans) who are still determined for the season to resume as though it is the most important thing happening right now. It's sad.

I wonder when clubs will start to go under financially, including PL clubs ?

How long can they keep paying out on huge contracts with no income at all and will Sky and BT start demanding their money back ?

If football ever returns to normal, will City and the chavs be in a far stronger position than anyone else due to their owners being able to bankroll them out of trouble ?
I think football won’t be back any time soon, an optimist would say 3 months, I would say 6 months at least.
Even if agreed.on 30% pay cut, most clubs would have to pay over £15m a month player wages. same time loosing income from match days...etc. I think after 3 months and no sign of when to play, we will see the financial effect on clubs.
Man City and Chelsea won’t have problems. Most PL clubs if not all clubs will survive but at a price and the future is bleak.

It will be interesting if China steps in and buy pl players.

Last edited:
I think football won’t be back any time soon, an optimist would say 3 months, I would say 6 months at least.
Even if agreed.on 30% pay cut, most clubs would have to pay over £15m a month player wages. same time loosing income from match days...etc. I think after 3 months and no sign of when to play, we will see the financial effect on clubs.
Man City and Chelsea won’t have problems. Most if not all clubs will survive but at a price and the future is bleak.

It will be interesting if China steps in and buy pl players.

Not all clubs will survive - the effects will be catastrophic for some clubs lower down the leagues.

I think the PFA is going to drive PL clubs to destruction.
In the article below, basically they are saying we don't accept 30% wage cut because that will be "detrimental to our NHS". This is an excuse, PL is proposing £20m donations.

PL clubs won't survive if no football for another 3-6 months while paying full wages to players. Imagine Spurs paying £50m players wages for 6 months without single penny income, on top Sky and BT and probably sponsors asking for rebates which amounts to another at least £50m, then you have to add the stadium debts repayments and other expenses...

I bet Levy is having sleepless nights.

Last edited:
Personally I think life will start returning to normal around August time to start of september (with a gradual lifting of restrictions and businesses opening from mid to late July).

Sport starting again around September.

Personally I think life will start returning to normal around August time to start of september (with a gradual lifting of restrictions and businesses opening from mid to late July).

Sport starting again around September.

Yes but how many clubs will actually exist by then?

Players are being badly advised, £200m right now is a drop in the ocean. It's all about solidarity but also protecting clubs. If there are no clubs then who will players pay for?!

It's putting me off football big time.

Yes but how many clubs will actually exist by then?

Players are being badly advised, £200m right now is a drop in the ocean. It's all about solidarity but also protecting clubs. If there are no clubs then who will players pay for?!

It's putting me off football big time.

Unfortunately football is a heavily political and cut throat industry.

I imagine the PFA’s concern is that they want to examine the legal and contractual loopholes of any wage decrease as clubs don’t use them to shaft players post-corona.

Football itself is an awful industry governed by self interest.

I'm no agent or contract lawyer but could you not just write up an additional contract for say you'll be taking a % pay cut for X amount of time? Do it on a rolling month basis so clubs can't fuck over players by paying less for more time than they have to.

WTF.
All PFA is saying to clubs to shut up and pay the players in full until you go to administration.

"But with players rejecting a league-wide proposal, they are now expected to ask their own clubs to explain more about the specifics of their finances before accepting any cuts or deferrals. "

"Players are understood to be wary of agreeing pay cuts that would help billionaire owners save money which may subsequently be spent on transfers."

Last edited:
WTF

"But with players rejecting a league-wide proposal, they are now expected to ask their own clubs to explain more about the specifics of their finances before accepting any cuts or deferrals. "

"Players are understood to be wary of agreeing pay cuts that would help billionaire owners save money which may subsequently be spent on transfers.

Christ they're fucking thick, aren't they? The clubs not only have no source of money coming in, they probably have to pay some money back to broadcasters, sponsors etc. The best solution might if the clubs agreed to furlough all the players while agreeing to payil the government the costs of them paying all their staff, playing and non playing.

Christ they're fucking thick, aren't they? The clubs not only have no source of money coming in, they probably have to pay some money back to broadcasters, sponsors etc. The best solution might if the clubs agreed to furlough all the players while agreeing to payil the government the costs of them paying all their staff, playing and non playing.
Exactly, no income to clubs and enormous outgoings. They know what they are doing, greedy bust!rds.

Not sure if they can furlough players, legality issues. Players are on contract for fixed period of time and set wage. Most high paid players not even on PAYE (government furlough requirement), they set companies and loop holes to reduce tax.

Back
Top Bottom