The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the season finishes by playing at neutral grounds with 30 minute halves and extra substitutes with no supporters present...are you even playing football at that point?

How are the German players going to be match fit starting playing actual games in under 10 days time.

The dumb working class public won't care, so long as they get their pacifier back....

Just me that feels insulted by this notion?

After the novelty where's off , your stuck with joyless soul less spectacle without crowds.
Dudes as time goes football fix is definitely receding especially as our football quality is dogshit man . Not as bothered as I thought I would be brothers.
I've found pleasure in moose gazing under the stars.

All this is going to do is show just how fucking inept the UK Gov has been.

Hearing people saying this makes it easier for the PL and other Leagues to make their decision to also return. But when your country has had 2 of the 3 highest days of new infections recorded all in the last 5 days with a daily death toll still at around 600, can you fucking seriously see the PL restarting in a couple of weeks!!!

Well, I suppose if the ineptitude is to continue then I guess the answer is yes, it will return.

I’m sure I heard Solskjaer say earlier that he wouldn’t force a player to play if he didn’t want to. I don’t believe that for a second. Let’s hope he’s telling the truth though and the other clubs chasing fourth also do the same and players pull out.

I’m sure I heard Solskjaer say earlier that he wouldn’t force a player to play if he didn’t want to. I don’t believe that for a second. Let’s hope he’s telling the truth though and the other clubs chasing fourth also do the same and players pull out.
He's got GPS trackers on the players. He's definitely up for the season restarting.

I’m really not surprised by this. They’ll be pressurised into playing in the end.

Good on them, I think they all should refuse to play, I think the PFA response has been really tepid. The proposal that the prem league forward is stupid. 22 players plus squad members, management, official have to be tested every match day, symptoms or no symptoms, that can't possibly justified. That's aside there being no social distancing on the pitch. Government must step in and tell them no.

I’m really not surprised by this. They’ll be pressurised into playing in the end.

Is it just me but I really struggle to feel sorry for some top level footballers?? Is there the same problem over in the Bundesliga right now with players going on strike?

They do live in a totally different world to the majority of us.

I wonder how many of these footballers have been paid over £500’000 in wages since this all began. About 2 months of inaction now. Some will have earned well over a million pounds in that time. To do what? Train at home and eat well. Whoopy fucking do.

Have they forgotten they are still being paid to do something? Which is Being a professional footballer. So when it starts again. It starts again. That’s the life they lead.

Refuse to play? Are they currently ”refusing” their wages. Pretty sure they were refusing to take a pay cut weren’t they. Fuck em.

Doctor's and nurses don’t get the same choice to decide if they don’t want to work - and if premiership football restarts it will be tested and cocooned and treated like no other lifestyle. These fucking players do my head in.

Is it just me but I really struggle to feel sorry for some top level footballers?? Is there the same problem over in the Bundesliga right now with players going on strike?

They do live in a totally different world to the majority of us.

I wonder how many of these footballers have been paid over £500’000 in wages since this all began. About 2 months of inaction now. Some will have earned well over a million pounds in that time. To do what? Train at home and eat well. Whoopy fucking do.

Have they forgotten they are still being paid to do something? Which is Being a professional footballer. So when it starts again. It starts again. That’s the life they lead.

Refuse to play? Are they currently ”refusing” their wages. Pretty sure they were refusing to take a pay cut weren’t they. Fuck em.

Doctor's and nurses don’t get the same choice to decide if they don’t want to work - and if premiership football restarts it will be tested and cocooned and treated like no other lifestyle. These fucking players do my head in.
They aren't paid to put their health and their families health on the line. Yes they should work but when it is safe to do so, what they get paid is irrelevant, because there is no price you can put on one's health. Footballers aren't key workers or even close to it, why should they be made to flout social distancing rules with no PPE when the rest of society isn't doing so?

They aren't paid to put their health and their families health on the line. Yes they should work but when it is safe to do so, what they get paid is irrelevant, because there is no price you can put on one's health. Footballers aren't key workers or even close to it, why should they be made to flout social distancing rules with no PPE when the rest of society isn't doing so?

The only reason clubs want to play is for money. To pay players. To stop going out of business.

Don’t play. Don’t get paid. It’s that simple.

And this article sums it up Literally just read it.

Up until 24th April just 332 people under 45 many with underlying conditions have died from Corona virus. they are just as likely to die from driving to the ground as from the corona virus. Doctors, nurses, care workers and many more key workers have had no option but to work and in many cases travel on packed public transport. If they are concerned about their elderly parents then they should stay away from them but young families are relatively safe. The Government will not allow football to return until the numbers infected is reduced. I will take a very dim view if any Spurs player refuses to play once/if the season kicks off again. I am retired and so not going out but if the virus had been only a few years ago would have had to work.

The only reason clubs want to play is for money. To pay players. To stop going out of business.

Don’t play. Don’t get paid. It’s that simple.

And this article sums it up Literally just read it.

I don't disagree with your first line but I think your anger at the players in your first post was misplaced. Players do have a contract but they are not contracted to play in unsafe conditions. An ordinary worker during these times cannot be forced to work during this time.

Up until 24th April just 332 people under 45 many with underlying conditions have died from Corona virus. they are just as likely to die from driving to the ground as from the corona virus. Doctors, nurses, care workers and many more key workers have had no option but to work and in many cases travel on packed public transport. If they are concerned about their elderly parents then they should stay away from them but young families are relatively safe. The Government will not allow football to return until the numbers infected is reduced. I will take a very dim view if any Spurs player refuses to play once/if the season kicks off again. I am retired and so not going out but if the virus had been only a few years ago would have had to work.
Don't kid yourself,the government wants things to get back to normal quickly. The prem league keep talking about when THEY want to start and they want to start as early as next month. I think it's a nonsense. Footballers are not keyworkers and the government haven't even got to 100,000 tests a day. Keyworkers need to best tested not footballers.

I don't disagree with your first line but I think your anger at the players in your first post was misplaced. Players do have a contract but they are not contracted to play in unsafe conditions. An ordinary worker during these times cannot be forced to work during this time.

That’s fair enough. My anger is probably high right now!!

I can’t pretend ultimately this isn’t all about money.
For the owners, clubs and players.

Should footballers get paid 80% or 50%till there is a vaccine? It’s still a lot of money in wages.

Now no flights without quarantine being discussed too. How will that work going forwards for footballers?

So you could say Maybe 12-18 months of inaction. Pay them at a cost to every other employee? That’s not fair either, they don’t play and the whole gravy train stops.

The PFA will hold clubs to ransom. We have seen that already.

Barney is spot on. They all have to change. But I don’t think they will. Let’s see where it all leads to.

Back
Top Bottom