The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s fair enough. My anger is probably high right now!!

I can’t pretend ultimately this isn’t all about money.
For the owners, clubs and players.

Should footballers get paid 80% or 50%till there is a vaccine? It’s still a lot of money in wages.

Now no flights without quarantine being discussed too. How will that work going forwards for footballers?

So you could say Maybe 12-18 months of inaction. Pay them at a cost to every other employee? That’s not fair either, they don’t play and the whole gravy train stops.

The PFA will hold clubs to ransom. We have seen that already.

Barney is spot on. They all have to change. But I don’t think they will. Let’s see where it all leads to.
Clubs are facing the same other issues that many other businesses are facing, that the government is facing. It's not sustainable to have staff furloughed or workers being paid for a year to 18 months . I don't know what the answer is as far as football is concerned but it's not to start playing again when social distancing still applies and as you point out quarantine is being discussed too. Players and clubs have got to get together and try to come to an agreement because one can't do without the other.

Clubs are facing the same other issues that many other businesses are facing, that the government is facing. It's not sustainable to have staff furloughed or workers being paid for a year to 18 months . I don't know what the answer is as far as football is concerned but it's not to start playing again when social distancing still applies and as you point out quarantine is being discussed too. Players and clubs have got to get together and try to come to an agreement because one can't do without the other.

I think that’s the big problem. I could be made redundant. What my payoff? 3 months salary? 1 month salary?

Footballers? Probably the remainder of their contract. So say Ndombele. Potentially that’s what £30m?? That’s one player. Nuts.

Football could eat itself here.

I think that’s the big problem. I could be made redundant. What my payoff? 3 months salary? 1 month salary?

Footballers? Probably the remainder of their contract. So say Ndombele. Potentially that’s what £30m?? That’s one player. Nuts.

Football could eat itself here.

We keep hearing the projected lower league horror stories; but how is the return of the EPL gonna prevent any of that? As it is without crowd-based income, EPL will be running with a deficit based upon the clubs annual budgets... Meanwhile there's no upside to playing behind closed doors in the lower leagues.

The industry push for the return of televised football is getting nowhere fast in terms of basic decision making as it is.... How long before (if at all) they get a significant trickle-down aid program agreed for the lower leagues? How will they not mostly (if not all) be bankrupt by then?

So much self-interested horse-shit being peddled by the upper levels of the game and the sections of the media who are propped up by them.

Last edited:
EYNnZjmX0AIwYtV

Still make more noise than goons in the Emirates.

Isn't it on our best interests for the league to resume now? With null and void seemingly off the table.

We have a good chance of overtaking United for fifth, which could get CL.

It the society we have created for ourselves there will only be 1 loser here. The fans.

Matches will be sold to various broadcasters - BT, Sky, Amazon, Apple. Yep, that's now 4 subscriptions you will need. They may even show 1 or 2 3pm kick offs to keep you thinking its great.

It would not surprise me if the world cup and euros moves to pay TV.

A coordinated rebellion is required. Everybody cancel their subscriptions and demand games are free to air. It is the national sport and the money being paid for salaries and transfers in football is obscene.

Dare I say.....compare with AFL in Australia. Salary caps, free to air TV. Does the sport suffer - no. Everyone loves it at they fill 120k seat stadiums on a regular basis.

It the society we have created for ourselves there will only be 1 loser here. The fans.

Matches will be sold to various broadcasters - BT, Sky, Amazon, Apple. Yep, that's now 4 subscriptions you will need. They may even show 1 or 2 3pm kick offs to keep you thinking its great.

It would not surprise me if the world cup and euros moves to pay TV.

A coordinated rebellion is required. Everybody cancel their subscriptions and demand games are free to air. It is the national sport and the money being paid for salaries and transfers in football is obscene.

Dare I say.....compare with AFL in Australia. Salary caps, free to air TV. Does the sport suffer - no. Everyone loves it at they fill 120k seat stadiums on a regular basis.

It won’t, by law that can’t happen in this country.

Training to resume in small groups from this afternoon

Beneath the surface it's alleged that there's plenty of players opposed to 'project restart'.... Curious to see how many 'bunk' off or how many more find the balls to actually speak out against it.

Also, still curious about the post-June contract expiry situations up and down the leagues....?

Apparently Bournemouth are letting Ibe go regardless of any relegation battle they're still to undertake.....

Gotta wonder how many that aren't contractually obliged will resume rather than thinking "fuck it I'll just find a new club and see you all in September." I couldn't entirely blame them... Especially if you're talking about a team with nothing remaining to play for.

Also, still curious about the post-June contract expiry situations up and down the leagues....?

Apparently Bournemouth are letting Ibe go regardless of any relegation battle they're still to undertake.....

Gotta wonder how many that aren't contractually obliged will resume rather than thinking "fuck it I'll just find a new club and see you all in September." I couldn't entirely blame them... Especially if you're talking about a team with nothing remaining to play for.
I'm sure they'll trigger some 3 months extension or something

But yes - teams who are safe from relegation and with no chance of Europe probably give less than 2 fucks other than having to repay millions in TV rights which I presume is the main driver here

Deeney is outright refusing to partake.

Fair fucks to the lad.

Has a 5 months old son who has had breathing difficulties.

You can see where he’s coming from, be interesting to see how watford play this one.

Time off unpaid? Or reduced wages? Furlough him On £2500 a month?? He can always sell his Lambo I guess.

Back
Top Bottom