Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Union - Bayern game is pretty gash.

On a side note, does anyone know if there’s a historical reason as to why Berlin is pretty much the only major European city without a big football club powerhouse? Always wondered why that was.
the general basic explanation is German culture and local patriotism. City identity is very strong with Germans due to their history. Up to WW2 the working class in Berlin was not organic and kept faith with their old cities (some neighbourhoods in Berlin still reflect it).

Until 1994 West Berlin wasn’t even a part of Germany proper and it had less working class people so Herta never lifted off. The East Berlin clubs like Union have local support but have 40 years of under investment to push up against.

Btw until PSG was bought up it wasn’t even a medium club by European standards...

the general basic explanation is German culture and local patriotism. City identity is very strong with Germans due to their history. Up to WW2 the working class in Berlin was not organic and kept faith with their old cities (some neighbourhoods in Berlin still reflect it).

Until 1994 West Berlin wasn’t even a part of Germany proper and it had less working class people so Herta never lifted off. The East Berlin clubs like Union have local support but have 40 years of under investment to push up against.

Btw until PSG was bought up it wasn’t even a medium club by European standards...
Berlin isn't even the financial or industrial hub of Germany no? It's just the capital. The rest is split out over cities like München, Frankfurt and the greater Ruhr area as I understand it. Which is probably due to the cities modern history.

Also bang on about PSG. Paris was not a big football city until they got bought out. Marseille and St Etienne have been the big historical clubs in France.

Berlin isn't even the financial or industrial hub of Germany no? It's just the capital. The rest is split out over cities like München, Frankfurt and the greater Ruhr area as I understand it. Which is probably due to the cities modern history.

Also bang on about PSG. Paris was not a big football city until they got bought out. Marseille and St Etienne have been the big historical clubs in France.
it's not the financial hub no, Germany is actually the only country in Europe where if you take out the Capital GDP per capita increases (Would Germany Be Wealthier if Berlin Didn't Exist?). Frankfurt and Dusseldorf are financial hubs, Bayern as a region has more industry, and such. West Berlin was poor to begin with, East Berlin made it worst. There's a growing Hi-Tech scene now but it doesn't really trickle down to the locals.
Also politically Bonn was the capital until 94 as West Berlin was still under military occupation. The constitutional Court still sits in Karlsruhe and the fact that it's a mass city state means Berlin always has to play catch with infrastructure spending.

The Cold War had a massive factor, but earlier German history also plays a part. Berlin sprung out of nowhere with the rise of Prussia and the East Germanic Junkers. For some the entire region wasn't even Germany\Europe but "Asia". Konrad Adenauer even secretly suggested to the Russians that they take West Berlin in exchange for the most German Thuringia.

I lived in Berlin in the past. There seem to be more local support for Union than there was to Herta. In addition to a lot of the working class\poor areas of Berlin being pretty much completely Turkish with little interest in the German sides.

Regardless of football, Paris is a massive pile of dump. My sister did her Phd there and I hated visiting. I think the snobby Parisians simply didn't care for the sport and the immigrants in the suburbs had no attachment to the brand artificially created in the 70's. fucking frog eating metro cunts

it's not the financial hub no, Germany is actually the only country in Europe where if you take out the Capital GDP per capita increases (Would Germany Be Wealthier if Berlin Didn't Exist?). Frankfurt and Dusseldorf are financial hubs, Bayern as a region has more industry, and such. West Berlin was poor to begin with, East Berlin made it worst. There's a growing Hi-Tech scene now but it doesn't really trickle down to the locals.
Also politically Bonn was the capital until 94 as West Berlin was still under military occupation. The constitutional Court still sits in Karlsruhe and the fact that it's a mass city state means Berlin always has to play catch with infrastructure spending.

The Cold War had a massive factor, but earlier German history also plays a part. Berlin sprung out of nowhere with the rise of Prussia and the East Germanic Junkers. For some the entire region wasn't even Germany\Europe but "Asia". Konrad Adenauer even secretly suggested to the Russians that they take West Berlin in exchange for the most German Thuringia.

I lived in Berlin in the past. There seem to be more local support for Union than there was to Herta. In addition to a lot of the working class\poor areas of Berlin being pretty much completely Turkish with little interest in the German sides.

Regardless of football, Paris is a massive pile of dump. My sister did her Phd there and I hated visiting. I think the snobby Parisians simply didn't care for the sport and the immigrants in the suburbs had no attachment to the brand artificially created in the 70's. fucking frog eating metro cunts
Yup. Paris has never been a sports town as I understand. Lyon, Marseille, St Etienne etc have been the big sporting/football metropolises of the country. Marseille in particular have the biggest supporters clubs out of all the clubs in the country by a wide margin.

Interesting info well done, makes sense to me now.

Yup. Paris has never been a sports town as I understand. Lyon, Marseille, St Etienne etc have been the big sporting/football metropolises of the country. Marseille in particular have the biggest supporters clubs out of all the clubs in the country by a wide margin.

Danger Mouse?

Many of Marseille's fans would be Algerian. They're crazy about football.

Many of Marseille's fans would be Algerian. They're crazy about football.
Marseille is a cultural melting pot. They have influences from Algeria, Greece, Italy, Spain etc. PSG may be taking the spotlight now but Marseille is by far the biggest club in France.

One of the most criminal cities in Europe.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom