Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

36 in 83 for Napoli. 26 yo. Contract expires next year.

Usually deployed as an out-and-out striker, Milik is a versatile and well-rounded left-footed forward who is also capable of playing off another forward as a second striker or as a winger, due to his ability to both score and create goals. He possesses pace and good movement off the ball, as well as a powerful and accurate shot, which make him an excellent finisher and goalscorer; he is also physically strong, agile, and a good header of the ball, which allows him to excel in the air.

From the games I watched, Boadu is a big threat in behind but lacks composure in his finishing. His all-round game looks weak.

Wijndal is someone I have my eye on, but need to see more of.

Not on the Koopmeiners train, I am afraid.

Haven't heard of Beuker, but am very impressed with AZ's manager. Very much like his philosophy.

Would you rather Disasi or Todibo?

I see a lot of similarities to Werner, and instead of waiting until Boadu's price goes through the roof, I'd like us to buy while we are still capable.

I think Koopmeiners is one of the best players out there to read and understand the development of a game, and he's still only 22 years old. I know, it doesn't look like he brings much more than the set pieces he's responsible for.

I'm still trying to figure out if Arne Slots is brilliant or if he's just got too much talent available to him. They are playing some great football, and despite getting beaten by United they had some good sequences of football.

Even though he had a bad game against Schalke I'd still go with Todibo. Think his ceiling is fairly higher. Price would definitely have a saying in my choice

AZ in Holland has some great talents indeed but I also think we should keep a close eye on Anderlecht's youngsters. Yes, as a club they had a terrible season but the amount of talent that broke through this season and the one before is impressive.

The biggest talents to me are:

• Jeremy Doku (17 years): winger and strongest from the left hand side. Very technically skilled and very quick. On the long term I could see him taking over from Hazard in the national team. He is not very efficient yet but was already improving there during the last games pre-corona.
  • Albert Sambi Lokonga (20 years): central midfielder who can play as a holding midfielder or box to box. For me he is the perfect mix between Mousa Dembele and Axel Witsel. He is 1 of this true elegant players who makes everything look easy. Last season he got a very bad injury but he came back stronger as ever.
  • Marco Kana (17 years): broke through next to Kompany as a central defender but he also can play as a holding midfielder. He really has great footballing skills and he dares to take initiative. He also seems like a natural leader.
  • Yari Verschaeren (18 years): He is more of a play maker. Already made his full debut for Belgium and reminds me a bit of Eriksen. He has great vision and knows how to dribble. He is still a bit light but that's normal for his age.

Other interesting players: Sardella, Saelemaekers and Colasin.

I see a lot of similarities to Werner, and instead of waiting until Boadu's price goes through the roof, I'd like us to buy while we are still capable.

I think Koopmeiners is one of the best players out there to read and understand the development of a game, and he's still only 22 years old. I know, it doesn't look like he brings much more than the set pieces he's responsible for.

I'm still trying to figure out if Arne Slots is brilliant or if he's just got too much talent available to him. They are playing some great football, and despite getting beaten by United they had some good sequences of football.

Even though he had a bad game against Schalke I'd still go with Todibo. Think his ceiling is fairly higher. Price would definitely have a saying in my choice
Werner is extremely dangerous, but he is not the type of player I like.

Having another look at Koopmeiners today, and I don't see it. Hate what he does in terms of his contribution to AZ's build-up play. And I don't see the type of intensity I like without the ball.

I only watched AZ for the first time recently. In fact, I have only begun watching continental football in the last year. Had never even heard of Slot. Wanted to check out Boadu and Stengs. I was impressed that a bunch of modestly talented players (IMO) were able to get the ball to the final third/break the opposition's lines with a pair of midfielders who don't want to receive the ball from their CBs under pressure. Read a couple of pieces about Slot's tactics (and his inverted/underlapping full-backs), and went away really impressed. The only criticism of him in those pieces was that they need to manage defensive transitions better. The scoreline of their defeat at Old Trafford was very misleading. Anyway, as a Tottenham fan, I feel cheated when I see clubs with a fraction of our resources playing football that is both organised and easy on the eye.

Watched Reims v Nice again, and enjoyed their brand of football. I notice their manager does a lot of chopping and changing. Do you know the reason for that?

From what I have seen of Todibo, I would prefer him to Disasi, too.

Having another look at Koopmeiners today, and I don't see it. Hate what he does in terms of his contribution to AZ's build-up play. And I don't see the type of intensity I like without the ball.

I only watched AZ for the first time recently. In fact, I have only begun watching continental football in the last year. Had never even heard of Slot. Wanted to check out Boadu and Stengs. I was impressed that a bunch of modestly talented players (IMO) were able to get the ball to the final third/break the opposition's lines with a pair of midfielders who don't want to receive the ball from their CBs under pressure. Read a couple of pieces about Slot's tactics (and his inverted/underlapping full-backs), and went away really impressed. The only criticism of him in those pieces was that they need to manage defensive transitions better. The scoreline of their defeat at Old Trafford was very misleading. Anyway, as a Tottenham fan, I feel cheated when I see clubs with a fraction of our resources playing football that is both organised and easy on the eye.

Watched Reims v Nice again, and enjoyed their brand of football. I notice their manager does a lot of chopping and changing. Do you know the reason for that?

Don’t worry, we’ll never get Werner. I would prefer a snappy striker as backup, or a more rounded one like Osimhen. That’s probably too late as well, his price is most likely above our limit. There’s his “twin”, David Okereke, but he’s not quite as good a finisher. Never mind. We’ll get a lump like Giroud as our second option.

No wonder you haven’t heard about Slot before. This is his first season as a top manager. He’s doing well so far, but again, he’s got enough talent on hand to compete in Holland. He’s definitely one to keep an eye out for. Expanding your horizon, I’d say AZ is a pretty good choice.

For me Koopmeiners is like salt. Not the main attraction but the complement that lifts the experience.

Agree. We’ve been deceived, but I don’t think I should start on Mourinho again. It is what it is.

I haven’t even noticed the Reims manager changing things on the go. I’m just impressed by their intensity no matter how deep they’re standing.

I feel ya on the bolded part. People act like you need 80m players in each position. Look at Potter at Brighton. He has that team playing an organized and attractive game. Sure they may not be winning every match, but that is down to their quality on the pitch. You can still be a fun watch, which at this point we are not. I will give Jose his chance now that he has had a break, but we shall see.

Don’t worry, we’ll never get Werner. I would prefer a snappy striker as backup, or a more rounded one like Osimhen. That’s probably too late as well, his price is most likely above our limit. There’s his “twin”, David Okereke, but he’s not quite as good a finisher. Never mind. We’ll get a lump like Giroud as our second option.
I don't like Osimhen very much. Don't rate him as footballer. Can't stand Giroud.
Is there anywhere you know of from where I could download some Belgian football?
No wonder you haven’t heard about Slot before. This is his first season as a top manager. He’s doing well so far, but again, he’s got enough talent on hand to compete in Holland. He’s definitely one to keep an eye out for. Expanding your horizon, I’d say AZ is a pretty good choice.
I hadn't even heard of him before I sat down to watch some of their games a few weeks ago. After watching them play Ajax a couple of times in the league, I was impressed enough to want to find out more about him.
As a matter of interest, how do you rate Ten Haag as a coach? I have serious reservations about him. Don't know if he is able to coach a team how to defend.
Agree. We’ve been deceived, but I don’t think I should start on Mourinho again. It is what it is.
I would go further, and say that Poch wasn't much use when it came to coaching build-up patterns/passing and moving.
I haven’t even noticed the Reims manager changing things on the go. I’m just impressed by their intensity no matter how deep they’re standing.
Their starting line-up seems to change quite a bit, is what I meant.

I don't like Osimhen very much. Don't rate him as footballer. Can't stand Giroud.
Is there anywhere you know of from where I could download some Belgian football?

I hadn't even heard of him before I sat down to watch some of their games a few weeks ago. After watching them play Ajax a couple of times in the league, I was impressed enough to want to find out more about him.
As a matter of interest, how do you rate Ten Haag as a coach? I have serious reservations about him. Don't know if he is able to coach a team how to defend.

I would go further, and say that Poch wasn't much use when it came to coaching build-up patterns/passing and moving.

Where do you watch old games from around the globe?

Where do you watch old games from around the globe?

Best I can do at the moment.

Get yourself a free account on here and you are good to go.

Yes, you like Osimhen very much. Who would you take as Kane’s understudy? I don’t know anywhere to get Belgium football. It’s a lot easier to find a stream when games are live. You could always have a look at:
Footballia: Full online historic football matches
Just type a players name in top left and see if any games come up.

I don’t rate Ten Haag. I know they were topping their league but they haven’t been playing well. They looked good last season against us and Juventus, but none of us were playing particularly well at the time. Arne Slot is one I have considered as our manager but not Ten Haag.

Back in the day Poch played some intensive football, and no doubt that's easier to the eye rather than camping in your own area and looking for the break away. I hope Mou has come up with something else than the 5 defenders.

That’s true. The Reims manager is rotating a lot. The defense is more a less the same, but otherwise there’s a lot of changes.

Yes, you like Osimhen very much.
No, I don't.
Who would you take as Kane’s understudy?
I haven't given it that much thought. Will he even be here next season? I would be dangerous if you allowed me make decisions like this.

I like Guirassy at Amiens because he is selfless, honest and very industrious. But if we buy a striker like that with Mourinho in charge, I fear we would all have very sore necks.

There is so much going on at our club at the moment that I am disillusioned by. I am not looking forward to next month. I wish we had a blank canvas.

No, I don't.

I haven't given it that much thought. Will he even be here next season? I would be dangerous if you allowed me make decisions like this.

I like Guirassy at Amiens because he is selfless, honest and very industrious. But if we buy a striker like that with Mourinho in charge, I fear we would all have very sore necks.

There is so much going on at our club at the moment that I am disillusioned by. I am not looking forward to next month. I wish we had a blank canvas.

So you want Kane gone?

Guirassy is going to the Scum so I've already decided that he'll be the next Yaya Sanogo. So you want that kind of player. What about Silas Wamangituka? Love the goal where he heads it down onto his own foot 😅

I know what you mean. I don't even know which signings would make sense, cos nothing seems to work atm. I was watching some old Bale footage from his time with us. I've decided I'd be happy if we just signed another 17 year old (Jude Bellingham) top talent, who we could follow all the way to the top.

So you want Kane gone?
Not exactly. If he wants to go, I would rather he did. I am worried that his best years are behind him. If we got big money for him, we could do great things with it (but you know that is unlikely).
Guirassy is going to the Scum so I've already decided that he'll be the next Yaya Sanogo.
Where did you hear he is going to the Scum? I wouldn't mind him as a backup striker.
What about Silas Wamangituka?
Have to Google this guy.
I know what you mean. I don't even know which signings would make sense, cos nothing seems to work atm. I was watching some old Bale footage from his time with us. I've decided I'd be happy if we just signed another 17 year old (Jude Bellingham) top talent, who we could follow all the way to the top.
We have so many players that I am fed up of/downright dislike. I would like to see huge changes.

Not exactly. If he wants to go, I would rather he did. I am worried that his best years are behind him. If we got big money for him, we could do great things with it (but you know that is unlikely).

Where did you hear he is going to the Scum? I wouldn't mind him as a backup striker.

Have to Google this guy.

We have so many players that I am fed up of/downright dislike. I would like to see huge changes.

Just the media speculating that Arteta wants him if Lacazette is to be off-loaded.

I would like to see huge changes. It seems like the perfect time for a rebuild but we have got the wrong manager for the job.

OK fellas, I finally got round to watching the Ajax/AZ game this afternoon. First thing to say is it was a very enjoyable game from a tactical/technical point of view. As far as players go, there were several that were easy like and a couple that are very loveable. Stengs excited me. That combination of athleticism, pace, beautiful technique, vision and movement. The obvious comparison is Sane, both in appearance and style somewhat.

In all honesty there's a bunch of players from this game I think would easily be upgrades on some of the fucking dimwitted bumblers we we've been watching - but likewise, I think both of these coaches I would happily see in our dugout rather that Mourinho (or Poch). I think both of you - RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK reachingforthestars reachingforthestars - are harsh on Ten Haag, I think the fella has to virtually reinvent his side every 12 months after losing their best players, especially last summer when they lost a very talented spine. It's incredibly hard to combine a very proactive brand of football and also be impregnable at the back when you can't go and spend money on top quality experience to help and you are depending largely on very young players - I don't think Ten Haag is a fraud like people like Roberto Martinez or Marco Silva - and despite the challenges - he might not be the messiah either - but I'd happily give him a crack at Spurs (in the right set up geared toward his football). I think he's a good coach, who can clearly communicate with players what he wants. And he has won that Eredivise two years running now, playing a good brand of football.

Right now, after one proper watch, I would take AZ's front three over Ziyech, VDBeek, Promis. In fact, I actually think that AZ team is a better balanced team generally than the one Ten Hag has at Ajax right now.

It's almost heartbreaking, because it's a pleasure to watch a young side like this (and Ajax recently too) play clever football, well coached, nicely balanced, and you just know it's going to get gutted soon.

Slot intrigues me - I've watched fuck all of AZ but had heard he was doing a good job from a couple of dutch journo's on a couple of pods. I read some stuff about his methods (same stuff RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK was referring to) I also looked up their possession stats just to get a flavour - he's clearly also a proactive/progressive type of coach, so it impressed me how tactically well drilled defensively they were away at Ajax. but then they do have the perfect set up - I liked all of that front group - Stengs, Boadu, Idrissi - For a bunch of young guns, there's a really nice blend there, Idrissi also technically very good and seems to have brain, and Boadu's movement is good, technically seems OK. Need to see more of them but liked all three, really liked Stengs.

Really liked what I saw of Wijndal, gets forward well and gets his head up when he gets there, played a couple of beautiful balls into the box - passes not crosses - both into the stride of the oncoming players runs - should have been buried but for good saves from Onana. But I think every full back in this game would be an upgrade on our bunch. I'd probably take both keepers too.

I also still quite like the look of Lisandro Martinez - seems like a decent iteration of the slight but tenacious footballing busy cunt.

reachingforthestars reachingforthestars - I've yet to watch Koopmeiners in midfield, but I quite liked him as a LCB in this game, you can see he's a game reader (lazy comparison but he reminded me a bit of Vertonghen) and organiser of those around him. Possibly not the most comfortable under press, but his technique and passing out were reasonably composed.

I even quite liked Midtsjo.

PSV/AZ tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom