Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2 signings that would make sense for them. They have to cash in on Auba as well and if they wanna be taken serious they should bin Xhaka
You like Guirassy, then?

I know he's not the most aesthetically pleasing, and I wouldn't want to be pinning hopes on him as a full time first choice, but I would have considered someone like Niang as cheap back up striker. He's a bit like a poor mans Adebayor, good energy, seems to graft. decent touch for a big un, quite good hold up, strong and can score goals.

I know he's not the most aesthetically pleasing, and I wouldn't want to be pinning hopes on him as a full time first choice, but I would have considered someone like Niang as cheap back up striker. He's a bit like a poor mans Adebayor, good energy, seems to graft. decent touch for a big un, quite good hold up, strong and can score goals.
I like him a lot.

OK fellas, I finally got round to watching the Ajax/AZ game this afternoon. First thing to say is it was a very enjoyable game from a tactical/technical point of view. As far as players go, there were several that were easy like and a couple that are very loveable. Stengs excited me. That combination of athleticism, pace, beautiful technique, vision and movement. The obvious comparison is Sane, both in appearance and style somewhat.

In all honesty there's a bunch of players from this game I think would easily be upgrades on some of the fucking dimwitted bumblers we we've been watching - but likewise, I think both of these coaches I would happily see in our dugout rather that Mourinho (or Poch). I think both of you - RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK reachingforthestars reachingforthestars - are harsh on Ten Haag, I think the fella has to virtually reinvent his side every 12 months after losing their best players, especially last summer when they lost a very talented spine. It's incredibly hard to combine a very proactive brand of football and also be impregnable at the back when you can't go and spend money on top quality experience to help and you are depending largely on very young players - I don't think Ten Haag is a fraud like people like Roberto Martinez or Marco Silva - and despite the challenges - he might not be the messiah either - but I'd happily give him a crack at Spurs (in the right set up geared toward his football). I think he's a good coach, who can clearly communicate with players what he wants. And he has won that Eredivise two years running now, playing a good brand of football.

Right now, after one proper watch, I would take AZ's front three over Ziyech, VDBeek, Promis. In fact, I actually think that AZ team is a better balanced team generally than the one Ten Hag has at Ajax right now.

It's almost heartbreaking, because it's a pleasure to watch a young side like this (and Ajax recently too) play clever football, well coached, nicely balanced, and you just know it's going to get gutted soon.

Slot intrigues me - I've watched fuck all of AZ but had heard he was doing a good job from a couple of dutch journo's on a couple of pods. I read some stuff about his methods (same stuff RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK was referring to) I also looked up their possession stats just to get a flavour - he's clearly also a proactive/progressive type of coach, so it impressed me how tactically well drilled defensively they were away at Ajax. but then they do have the perfect set up - I liked all of that front group - Stengs, Boadu, Idrissi - For a bunch of young guns, there's a really nice blend there, Idrissi also technically very good and seems to have brain, and Boadu's movement is good, technically seems OK. Need to see more of them but liked all three, really liked Stengs.

Really liked what I saw of Wijndal, gets forward well and gets his head up when he gets there, played a couple of beautiful balls into the box - passes not crosses - both into the stride of the oncoming players runs - should have been buried but for good saves from Onana. But I think every full back in this game would be an upgrade on our bunch. I'd probably take both keepers too.

I also still quite like the look of Lisandro Martinez - seems like a decent iteration of the slight but tenacious footballing busy cunt.

reachingforthestars reachingforthestars - I've yet to watch Koopmeiners in midfield, but I quite liked him as a LCB in this game, you can see he's a game reader (lazy comparison but he reminded me a bit of Vertonghen) and organiser of those around him. Possibly not the most comfortable under press, but his technique and passing out were reasonably composed.

I even quite liked Midtsjo.

PSV/AZ tomorrow.

By far Ten Haag still has the best payed players in Holland and they have one of the worlds most renowned academies. Ten Haag ought to have enough quality to overcome AZ. I’m not convinced about him like you are.

Koopmeiners did alright in as CB in that game. He looked a little shaky from the off but that was only a brief spell. He’s a great midfielder but of course not what our team should be looking at.

Just checked his stats. I never felt like he was scoring but quite surprised about his tally

By far Ten Haag still has the best payed players in Holland and they have one of the worlds most renowned academies. Ten Haag ought to have enough quality to overcome AZ. I’m not convinced about him like you are.

Koopmeiners did alright in as CB in that game. He looked a little shaky from the off but that was only a brief spell. He’s a great midfielder but of course not what our team should be looking at.

He does have bigger resources for sure, but to be fair to Ten Hag they are winning and playing some decent football. They were also pretty unlucky in the CL and last year went away and turned over RM and Juve (and us - though that was less of an achievement).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced Ten Hag is the new Guadiola, I just think realistically, when you look around Europe right now, if you want that brand of football - ie proactive, possession heavy, with good energy and reasonable pressing - he's got to be up there with those worth considering.

PSV/AZ up next for me with Koopmeiners in midfield...

He does have bigger resources for sure, but to be fair to Ten Hag they are winning and playing some decent football. They were also pretty unlucky in the CL and last year went away and turned over RM and Juve (and us - though that was less of an achievement).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced Ten Hag is the new Guadiola, I just think realistically, when you look around Europe right now, if you want that brand of football - ie proactive, possession heavy, with good energy and reasonable pressing - he's got to be up there with those worth considering.

PSV had a man sent off after about 35 mins.

I agree about wanting a manager playing proactive. Let's keep him on the short-list. I'm just finding Ajax playing a lot worse than last season. I know De Ligt and De Jong were importent player, but I would expect Ajax to be able to deal with that in a better manner

From the games I watched, Boadu is a big threat in behind but lacks composure in his finishing. His all-round game looks weak.

Wijndal is someone I have my eye on, but need to see more of.

Not on the Koopmeiners train, I am afraid.

Haven't heard of Beuker, but am very impressed with AZ's manager. Very much like his philosophy.

Would you rather Disasi or Todibo?

Just watched the Ajax AZ game again and yeah, Boadu missed some chances. Still like his movement and speed.

Was impressed by Onana.

The best player for me that day was Oussama Idrissi

OK fellas, I finally got round to watching the Ajax/AZ game this afternoon. First thing to say is it was a very enjoyable game from a tactical/technical point of view. As far as players go, there were several that were easy like and a couple that are very loveable. Stengs excited me. That combination of athleticism, pace, beautiful technique, vision and movement. The obvious comparison is Sane, both in appearance and style somewhat.

In all honesty there's a bunch of players from this game I think would easily be upgrades on some of the fucking dimwitted bumblers we we've been watching - but likewise, I think both of these coaches I would happily see in our dugout rather that Mourinho (or Poch). I think both of you - RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK reachingforthestars reachingforthestars - are harsh on Ten Haag, I think the fella has to virtually reinvent his side every 12 months after losing their best players, especially last summer when they lost a very talented spine. It's incredibly hard to combine a very proactive brand of football and also be impregnable at the back when you can't go and spend money on top quality experience to help and you are depending largely on very young players - I don't think Ten Haag is a fraud like people like Roberto Martinez or Marco Silva - and despite the challenges - he might not be the messiah either - but I'd happily give him a crack at Spurs (in the right set up geared toward his football). I think he's a good coach, who can clearly communicate with players what he wants. And he has won that Eredivise two years running now, playing a good brand of football.

Right now, after one proper watch, I would take AZ's front three over Ziyech, VDBeek, Promis. In fact, I actually think that AZ team is a better balanced team generally than the one Ten Hag has at Ajax right now.

It's almost heartbreaking, because it's a pleasure to watch a young side like this (and Ajax recently too) play clever football, well coached, nicely balanced, and you just know it's going to get gutted soon.

Slot intrigues me - I've watched fuck all of AZ but had heard he was doing a good job from a couple of dutch journo's on a couple of pods. I read some stuff about his methods (same stuff RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK was referring to) I also looked up their possession stats just to get a flavour - he's clearly also a proactive/progressive type of coach, so it impressed me how tactically well drilled defensively they were away at Ajax. but then they do have the perfect set up - I liked all of that front group - Stengs, Boadu, Idrissi - For a bunch of young guns, there's a really nice blend there, Idrissi also technically very good and seems to have brain, and Boadu's movement is good, technically seems OK. Need to see more of them but liked all three, really liked Stengs.

Really liked what I saw of Wijndal, gets forward well and gets his head up when he gets there, played a couple of beautiful balls into the box - passes not crosses - both into the stride of the oncoming players runs - should have been buried but for good saves from Onana. But I think every full back in this game would be an upgrade on our bunch. I'd probably take both keepers too.

I also still quite like the look of Lisandro Martinez - seems like a decent iteration of the slight but tenacious footballing busy cunt.

reachingforthestars reachingforthestars - I've yet to watch Koopmeiners in midfield, but I quite liked him as a LCB in this game, you can see he's a game reader (lazy comparison but he reminded me a bit of Vertonghen) and organiser of those around him. Possibly not the most comfortable under press, but his technique and passing out were reasonably composed.

I even quite liked Midtsjo.

PSV/AZ tomorrow.

Stengs had some breathtaking through balls. Really impressed by what I have seen of him. He has the highest ceiling of all mentioned in my opinion. I love the way he makes things look simple and smooth.

I agree about wanting a manager playing proactive. Let's keep him on the short-list. I'm just finding Ajax playing a lot worse than last season. I know De Ligt and De Jong were importent player, but I would expect Ajax to be able to deal with that in a better manner
It's incredible to see that De Ligt actually made Blind look like a competent player when he played alongside him. Without De Ligt, Blind is hopeless. Schuurs is a top prospect though, not helped by Ajax being a bit too attacking and playing alongside a hopeless centre half.

If Schuurs could be picked up for under £10million, that would be a cracking bargain.

I think I’m one, maybe two, transfer windows away from not having heard of any players we are being linked with.

Pretty sure most of the names on this thread are being made up by you cunts as some elaborate wind up.

I think I’m one, maybe two, transfer windows away from not having heard of any players we are being linked with.

Pretty sure most of the names on this thread are being made up by you cunts as some elaborate wind up.
Some of the best signings are ones who aren't big on the world stage yet.

I guarantee not many knew of Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jan Vertonghen, Heung-min Son or Bergwijn before we took an interest.

Sounds weird, and childish, but a lot of my knowledge comes from Football Manager, as I like to manager in lesser leagues and build my way up. I also watch a lot of foreign leagues when I can.

Stefan Posch at Hoffenheim is a tidy centre half. Only 23 and is a regular. Played a lot more this season. Hoffenheim themselves have some decent players coming through. Robert Skov is one to watch, but we are crammed with wingers currently.

Stefan Posch at Hoffenheim is a tidy centre half. Only 23 and is a regular. Played a lot more this season. Hoffenheim themselves have some decent players coming through. Robert Skov is one to watch, but we are crammed with wingers currently.

I’m sure we were linked to Skov, either that or there was a danish poster in here who was talking about him ages ago?

Just checked his stats. I never felt like he was scoring but quite surprised about his tally

I think just being settled at a team and playing regular footballer for the first time in a long time was what he needed.

Another kid who’s made a similar mistake (in terms of career move) is Osimhen’s predecessor are Lille, Rafael Leao - who IMO is better than Osimhen, and would cost less to rescue from AC Milan.

I’m sure we were linked to Skov, either that or there was a danish poster in here who was talking about him ages ago?

Yeah, we were linked. Probably best we didn't go for him

I think just being settled at a team and playing regular footballer for the first time in a long time was what he needed.

Another kid who’s made a similar mistake (in terms of career move) is Osimhen’s predecessor are Lille, Rafael Leao - who IMO is better than Osimhen, and would cost less to rescue from AC Milan.

Could make sense about Niang. Never settled at Milan with all the loans and I don't remember the story, but I think he did something stupid.

I liked Leao when he was in France. I've kinda lost intererst in him after his spell at Milan

Some of the best signings are ones who aren't big on the world stage yet.

I guarantee not many knew of Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jan Vertonghen, Heung-min Son or Bergwijn before we took an interest.

Sounds weird, and childish, but a lot of my knowledge comes from Football Manager, as I like to manager in lesser leagues and build my way up. I also watch a lot of foreign leagues when I can.
I’m certainly an advocate of the player matters more than the fee (ticket prices #levyout yacht #fuckenic) but I’ve normally heard of some of the players we could use. Just seems I’m a bit out of the loop these days. Maybe less time to watch other football I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom