Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathurin is a speedy winger probably most similar to J'Neil Bennett.

So 3 definitely in Spurs first year academy intake next season (and I agree these 3 are our best outfield prospects) plus likely Jez Davies makes the 4th player.

Getting to that time of year when we start to hear via social media who has been offered and accepted scholarships to become next seasons first year academy. Likely youngsters are :

Aaron Maguire (GK) (E u16, has played for Republic of Ireland)
Adam Hayton (GK)
Jordan Hackett - Valton (CB/LB) (E u16)
Ben Watt (CB) (E u16)
Ferdinand Okoh (CB/DM)
Oliver Turner or Max Hudson (both LB)
Dante Casanova (Mid and FB)
Khalon Haysman (Mid)
Hamed Abdel-Salam (Mid) - But may have left to join Reading
Roshaun Mathurin (winger - like J'Lloyd Bennett)
Renaldo Torraj (Winger) (Albanian u16 ?)
Dane Scarlett (Striker) (E u16)

So that would be an intake of 12 youngsters, not an unusual size.

Hackett, Casanova, Mathurin and Scarlett have all appeared for Spurs u18's so far this season - usually another sign they will be offered a scholarship - and they plus Maguire and Watt are probably the best players in the squad. Worth seeing who else plays u18's before the end of the season

Hackett, Mathurin and Scarlett were also included in Spurs youth UEFA League squad showing the club think they are very good players in their positions,

Historically we sometimes lose a couple and gain a couple before the players sign their scholarships.

Just a reminder (above) of the new Academy Year 1 squad I was predicting back in February

Great to see we've got our three best players to sign for the Academy Year 1 - all excellent prospects . Great work to get them signed early.

Next best ones to look out for would be Cassanova, Maguire (GK), Watt - although the latter has not been as good in the last 12 months as before - and maybe Haysman.

And then the rest to make up a squad of maybe around a dozen players - unless of course we pick up one or two significantly better players from other sides, and we have been linked with a couple.,

Charlie Allen will be joining Leeds from Linfield for a rumoured £300k.

Probably realistically has a better pathway to first team football.

Does anyone know of any statistics for clubs whose Academy players have stayed in the game and made a living? I remember Crewe had a good reputation for it.

Excellent news, Cassanova is one of our top 6 prospects in this year group I suspect - joins our top 3 prospects Hackett, Scarlett and Mathurin in joining the Academy, plus probably Jez Davies. So 4 definitely in, and probably 5.

A surprise to many Spurs youth watchers, including me, Ben Watts was not offered a scholarship and has joined Oxford United - thought he was one of the 'next best' potential scholars but still one of he top 6.

Last edited:

Excellent news, Cassanova is one of our top 6 prospects in this year group I suspect - joins our top 3 prospects Hackett, Scarlett and Mathurin in joining the Academy, plus probably Jez Davies. So 4 definitely in, and probably 5.

A surprise to many Spurs youth watchers, including me, Ben Watts was not offered a scholarship and has joined Oxford United - thought he was one of the 'next best' potential scholars but still one of he top 6.

Cheers for the news. Know nothing about him but you seem to think he's got potential so that's good.

Lets hop he doesn't get a serious injury or his playing days will be over....

....I'll get me coat

Cheers for the news. Know nothing about him but you seem to think he's got potential so that's good.

Lets hop he doesn't get a serious injury or his playing days will be over....

....I'll get me coat

Dante Casanova (great name so lets get that of the way quickly) plays as a midfielder (CM/AM and FB) and was one of only 4 u16's to play for the under 18's (others being Scarlett, Mathurin and Hackett, who I've already said are probably our best 3 in this year group), which shows the Spurs coaches rate Casanova. Also played a few games as E u15 so considered one of, say, top 60 outfield players in England in his year group.

Worth commenting that we had a huge development group in season 19/20 just gone which meant few academy players played u23's and a few academy year 1 players made few starts/appearances in u18's, so opportunities for u16's to play u18's were few and far between (usually about 10 x u16's make one or more appearances for u18's), so being one of the four to play u18's is significant.

With the number of current academy year 1's not playing that much u18 football in 19/20 I suspect we will see a smaller group in next seasons Academy year 1 (say 8 to 12 players) so only taking on the best players.

In the u16's the others most likely to get a scholarship might be Aaron Maguire (E u16 GK) and Khalon Haysman (E u15 AM), and after that there's another 3 or 4 who might get a scholarship, but if we find a top player from outside one or two of those wont get a scholarship at Spurs imo.

And in summary 4 definite scholarships for next seasons Academy Year 1 so far Scarlett (striker), Mathurin (AM), Hackett (CB/LB) and Casanova with Jez Davies rumoured too. So a few still to be announced.

Last edited:
Wolves announced which players had been awarded professional contracts to join their u23's and those who had been released a few days ago - Spurs announced their new pro contracts and those released at the beginning of June last season, so I imagine we will start to hear of this year's changes relatively soon.

6th player confirmed in Academy Year 1 (including all of our top prospects - Scarlett (striker), Mathurin (AM), Hackett (CB/LB) and Casanova (CM/AM and FB), Jez Davies (DM/CM/RB/RW) and now Khalon Haysman (AM/DM) who has also made a number of appearances for E u15 plus the possibility of Albanian u16 winger/no 10 Renaldo Torraj.

A few more to come, whether new top prospects for outside (a few rumours inevitably to that effect) or those who were in Spurs u16's in 2019/20.

Football London reporting that Aaron Skinner (CB/DM) has signed a pro contract and will play for development squad next season, the first of the Academy Year 2 lads to sign this summer.

He joined Spurs a year or so ago after the Bury fc closed their academy , and had also played at Bolton Wanderers fc (possibly on a trial after Bury closed).

Account following Albanian players claims Renaldo Torraj (winger/no 10) has also signed a scholarship contract (he's been at Spurs for several years), plays for Albanian u16's - would like a 2nd source to verify as the account is unknown.

Pleased to say Lilywhite Rose's academy contacts were able to confirm the rumour within an hour of me contacting him !

7th player confirmed in Academy Year 1 including our top 3 prospects - Scarlett (striker), Mathurin (AM), Hackett (CB/LB) - and Casanova (CM/AM and FB), Khalon Haysman (AM/DM), Jez Davies (DM/CM/RB/RW) and now Albanian u16 winger/no 10 Renaldo Torraj has been confirmed..

Football London reporting that Aaron Skinner (CB/DM) has signed a pro contract and will play for development squad next season, the first of the Academy Year 2 lads to sign this summer.

He joined Spurs a year or so ago after the Bury fc closed their academy , and had also played at Bolton Wanderers fc (possibly on a trial after Bury closed).

8th player confirmed in Academy Year 1 including our top 3 prospects - Scarlett (striker), Mathurin (AM), Hackett (CB/LB) - and Casanova (CM/AM and FB), Khalon Haysman (AM/DM), Jez Davies (DM/CM/RB/RW), Renaldo Torraj (winger/no 10) and now Oliver Turner (LB/midfield) has been confirmed.

9th player confirmed in Academy Year 1 including our top 3 prospects - Dane Scarlett (striker), Roshaun Mathurin (AM), Jordan Hackett-Valton (CB/LB) - plus Dante Casanova (CM/AM and FB), Khalon Haysman (AM/DM), Jez Davies (DM/CM/RB/RW), Renaldo Torraj (winger/no 10), Oliver Turner (LB/midfield) and now Aaron Maguire (GK) who has represented Republic of Ireland at u15 and England at u16 level have been confirmed.

Only notable absence from recent reports on the u16 squad is Max Hudson (LB) - think the others such as Adam Hayton (GK) may have already left.

My guess is that unless we sign a couple of top class prospects from outside Spurs, that might be the squad - given our large development squad last season few of the 2nd year academy played u21 games so were playing u18's squeezing playing time for last years Academy Year 1 so many of them need much more u18 playing time next season than usual, which a smaller than usual Academy year 1 next season of say 9 or 10 players would facilitate.

Overall the Academy Year 1 squad of 9 players who we think have signed scholarship deals includes about 6 players who have played for England at u15 or u16 levels so its not that we are needing to significantly reduce the quality of prospects, just their quantity if we go for a smaller year group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom