When Wilson Palacios transformed Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really liked him, he fitted the DM role really well. He had to deal with a massive personal tragedy, and he was never the same after that.

I feel so bad for what happened to him, not just with his family but the abuse he got from the fans towards the end. The way people would groan when he gave the ball away was very sad, I dare anyone to play in the circumstances he had to play in and not make a mistake.

He will always be legendary to me for his performance with Sandro at San Siro, they were both beasts. We need to find a new player with the same quality if we are going to be good again.

We might as well just season long loan a new DM every season, 12 months good use is about all we ever get out of them, Palacios, Parker, Sandro, Wanyama... Stambouli...

Sandro was great for 2 and a half seasons though before an injury ruined his career.

Palacios and Dier just turned shit.
Don't think that's fair on Palacios or Dier. Both had injuries and or illnesses. With long layoffs and being in and out of the team doesn't help your form.

The more interesting point now is with this extended break can Dier get back to his form from a couple years ago?

Don't think that's fair on Palacios or Dier. Both had injuries and or illnesses. With long layoffs and being in and out of the team doesn't help your form.

The more interesting point now is with this extended break can Dier get back to his form from a couple years ago?

Palacios wasn't THAT good. We just needed a DM and he provided us with something we didn't have.

Dier hasn't got Dembele next to him. Therefore I don't think he'll ever return to the form he had 5 years ago.

Palacios wasn't THAT good. We just needed a DM and he provided us with something we didn't have.

Dier hasn't got Dembele next to him. Therefore I don't think he'll ever return to the form he had 5 years ago.
Yes he wasn't that good, but we are in the same boat now as when Wilson arrived.

We just need someone to break play up effectively and use the ball. I don't think we can get a Dembele replacement FWIW.

Yes he wasn't that good, but we are in the same boat now as when Wilson arrived.

We just need someone to break play up effectively and use the ball. I don't think we can get a Dembele replacement FWIW.

Then it's pointless playing Dier in midfield.

I'm glad he's come to his senses and realises his future is at centre back.

We've seen Dier play well without Dembele alongside him for both club and country.

Sandro was great for 2 and a half seasons though before an injury ruined his career.

Palacios and Dier just turned shit.

Hard to imagine your own brother getting murdered just because you are earning loads of money in a foreign country.
Something not many could cope with I know I couldn't?

Hard to imagine your own brother getting murdered just because you are earning loads of money in a foreign country.
Something not many could cope with I know I couldn't?

Of course. But he played with that doubt on his mind long before he signed for Spurs.

He put in some superb performances for us after the death of his brother - but his brothers death didn't make him technically worse, he was just never really good on the ball to start off with, just incredibly hungry to win the ball back and loved to put a tackle in, which we didn't have at the time.

Then it's pointless playing Dier in midfield.

I'm glad he's come to his senses and realises his future is at centre back.
I would argue that Eric is the only player we have at the moment with the positional sense to play the DM role.

I sit quite high up in the West stand and from that big picture view you can see that Eric reads the game very well. He has lost pace because of injuries etc. I still think at the moment he is the only one who can play the out and out DM role.

Back
Top Bottom