Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gedson was a totally unesseccary signing
We needed a ST , Kane got injured on the first week of that window and Levy failed to deliver one.
Shameful.

How was Gedson on an 18 month loan an unnecessary signing? Sissoko had just got injured, Dier had long term issues and Wanyama was longed off shortly after. A striker was required yes but to say a non Braine result deal for Gedson was unnecessary is a little short sighted to me mate.

Yes I know fuck all
Apart from a nice flick against Norwich he's done nothing that none of our other CM'S can do
Furthermore , we alreayd have too many CM'S

We were a CM down.... 2 if you count Ndombele being in and out of the squad for most of the season.

(I alone must have pointed this out to you on numerous occasions now.)

AND Finally his release clause is like £50m thats my big problem , why couldn't they agree a deal like that with another player like Florentino Luis who would've actually solved a problem in our squad

It needn't be any kind of problem to you.... If we decide he's not worth it, we won't pay it. Simple.

Let it go... This is a big fuss about nothing.

As for Florentino Luis; perhaps they were not looking to sell/loan him....?

Dembele, Wanyama and Dier were all absent for various reasons, yet he's a major reason why our MF was fucked and overall gameplay was fucked. Gotcha.

You think binning MS and playing Skip for 2/3s of the season would have still seen us hit P4 & the CL final whilst partially rescuing our whole system of play.

You don't think either point is at all a stretch nor ridden with bias.

Ok Blakey....

Honestly, I think we'd have been better with Skipp than Sissoko - in midfield. I think we'd have been better with me than Sissoko in midfield to be fair.

And we sure as shit wouldn't have been any worse in the CL, and wouldn't have been 1-0 down or played as fucking shit in the final without his fucking inane pointing and hiding from the ball.

Honestly, I think we'd have been better with Skipp than Sissoko - in midfield.

Which is an entirely unfounded theory.

I think we'd have been better with me than Sissoko in midfield to be fair.

Which is just silly talk.

And we sure as shit wouldn't have been any worse in the CL, and wouldn't have been 1-0 down or played as fucking shit in the final without his fucking inane pointing and hiding from the ball.

I'm talking about 2/3s of a season inc. the journey to the final; not just a split second of shit refereeing that has been widely condemned since (including a change to the actual rule-book).

Whatever... Let's just run with the above fact that you think you are a better footballer than Sissoko and that you're simply not a pro earning mega-bucks by choice. That definitively cements your credibility on the matter. :mourthumb:

Which is an entirely unfounded theory.

Which is just silly talk.

I'm talking about 2/3s of a season inc. the journey to the final; not just a split second of shit refereeing that has been widely condemned since (including a change to the actual rule-book).

Whatever... Let's just run with the above fact that you think you are a better footballer than Sissoko and that you're simply not a pro earning mega-bucks by choice. That definitively cements your credibility on the matter. :mourthumb:

You can run with it if you like, but most realise it's tongue in cheek - as although in my football playing days I was technically better than Sissoko, I am now 54 with two dodgy knees, a herniated L2 disk, a screw in one ankle and am carrying a sexy paunch around my midriff.

The Skipp theory is not entirely unfounded, because I have seen him play, and I'm also not the only one to think that he would have been a better option in midfield than Sissoko over the last two years.

And I am very much not talking about one (CL Final) incident, as well you know. It's no coincidence that we declined steadily over the last 3 years, three years in which Sissoko played more and more as time went on.

He is definitely not the only reason, but a team who's ethos is possession, play the ball through midfield from back to font, press and be press resistant that puts a player for whom these things are anathema at the hub of it, is asking for trouble - or the sack in the guy who makes that kind of daft decision.

All those things Skipp would have been a more natural first for - and that's not unfounded, it's founded in watching him play fore the academy, and then for the first team on occasion.

Didn't realise we have a lot of Gedson fanboys in the chat. A big defense for a player who is not providing much to the squad.
Anyway,
Sissoko argument . Thought he had a good season last season as a CM and feel a bit sorry for him as he's always covering for Aurier. However , he's clearly not good enough for a top 4 team , he did a job but our midfield last season was shit , his shooting is a joke. He's a professional footballer not some random lad

Didn't realise we have a lot of Gedson fanboys in the chat. A big defense for a player who is not providing much to the squad.

Don't be a child.... There's no fan-boying going on.... You're just making a big fuss over nothing.

For the 3rd (at least time); he's on loan.... If he's deemed rubbish we won't be buying him.

Anyway,
Sissoko argument . Thought he had a good season last season as a CM and feel a bit sorry for him as he's always covering for Aurier. However , he's clearly not good enough for a top 4 team , he did a job but our midfield last season was shit , his shooting is a joke. He's a professional footballer not some random lad

Far from a fanboy, but why have people given up on him?

Looked really good against Norwich. He’s had poor games too, but he certainly seemed to be improving. He looks like he might be a cocky bugger too, in the best possible way.

He looks like more of an AM, so fully accept he was an odd acquisition, but I don’t understand where this criticism is coming from.

Far from a fanboy, but why have people given up on him?

Looked really good against Norwich. He’s had poor games too, but he certainly seemed to be improving. He looks like he might be a cocky bugger too, in the best possible way.

He looks like more of an AM, so fully accept he was an odd acquisition, but I don’t understand where this criticism is coming from.

The buy-out clause makes no sense. Only if he becomes the new Messi overnight we’d consider paying the £40m. I don’t see the idea of developing this player over our own. Deal seems stupid

Gedson on loan was fine, he had some pace and was another body when we were thin on the ground - but he has shown little in his time here. He has the first touch of sissoko and the passing ability of Lloris.
The question is has he done enough to remain here permanently - I'd say no.

I would obviously like to see him a bit more before deciding whether to sign him permanently. At the moment it’s a no and for the figure being mentioned for it to be made permanent I don’t think we will either. It was an opportunistic short term signing as we needed bodies in.

The buy-out clause makes no sense. Only if he becomes the new Messi overnight we’d consider paying the £40m. I don’t see the idea of developing this player over our own. Deal seems stupid

Thank fuck someone else said this, I got mullered a few days ago for saying the same.

I would obviously like to see him a bit more before deciding whether to sign him permanently. At the moment it’s a no and for the figure being mentioned for it to be made permanent I don’t think we will either. It was an opportunistic short term signing as we needed bodies in.

But that's the bit that made least sense to me, we did need bodies, but with players injured and struggling for form, and none of them being 6/DM's - the last thing we really needed was another 8/AM hybrid (who knows what he really is) with very little experience of football, none of the PL, who would always need time, time that he would struggle to get anyway when Ndombele and Lo Celso are both fit, who was never going to be able to just come in and do a "job" while others couldn't for various reasons. And take up a non HG birth while doing it, meaning if we did want to sign a non HG 6/back up striker/RB/LB/LCB etc etc it was another squad issue potentially.

Thank fuck someone else said this, I got mullered a few days ago for saying the same.

But that's the bit that made least sense to me, we did need bodies, but with players injured and struggling for form, and none of them being 6/DM's - the last thing we really needed was another 8/AM hybrid (who knows what he really is) with very little experience of football, none of the PL, who would always need time, time that he would struggle to get anyway when Ndombele and Lo Celso are both fit, who was never going to be able to just come in and do a "job" while others couldn't for various reasons. And take up a non HG birth while doing it, meaning if we did want to sign a non HG 6/back up striker/RB/LB/LCB etc etc it was another squad issue potentially.

But also makes the most sense to me. Our scouting and player purchasing in recent years is a shit show with no sign of a change of approach.

I agree, he didn’t tick any of the boxes for the type of player we really needed. It was an opportune, get a body in for cheap, move.

Back
Top Bottom