Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

TWUYyya.png

EMZwCvE.png

5Vj2uFV.png

9VE7iDZ.png

• He makes significantly more tackles than anyone else on Spurs.
  • He is statistically one of the top fullbacks in the league.
  • He is statistically one of Spurs' best players.
  • I'd argue that Kane is a top 5 Premier League forward, Son is a top 5 Premier League winger/wide forward and Serge is a top 5 Premier League RB.
  • No other players in our squad are top 5 positionally in the Premier League.
If Liverpool or any of the other top 4 clubs want to make a bid for this fantastic player, I'm sure we would bite their hand off.

he looked potentially decent at Toulouse (which is why he got a move to PSG) but he was pretty gash at PSG, could hold down his place, got the hump and behaved like a total dick, they could get shot of him quick enough.

I'm not sure about Serge being "pretty gash" at PSG. He did well in 15/16, then he fell out with Blanc (incidentally, a manager that PSG sacked before Serge was sold to Spurs and is currently not managing anywhere) as Meunier (a player about to leave PSG) was brought in and did well. Along the way Serge called Blanc a "pussy" online and had a run-in with a racist Parisien police officer.

mF4iX7p.png

lUPKUVT.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Serge being "gash" at PSG. He did well in 15/16, then he fell out with Blanc (incidentally, a manager that PSG sacked before Serge was sold to Spurs and is currently not managing anywhere) as Meunier (a player about to leave PSG) was brought in and did well. Along the way Serge called Blanc a "pussy" online and had a run-in with a racist Parisian police officer.

mF4iX7p.png

lUPKUVT.png
The lad is a buffoon, but miraculously he can do no wrong in your eyes.

If Liverpool or any of the other top 4 clubs want to make a bid for this fantastic player, I'm sure we would bite their hand off.

Gives me an idea though....

A stats Pepsi-challenge would be a great bit of trf window fun. For each position considered needy, someone could run the stats for a number of players (inc. the one's we already have!) and blank out the names... We all pick out new squad members based upon the stats only then we could have a big reveal of what everyone's new squad looks like.

The lad is a buffoon, but miraculously he can do no wrong in your eyes.

I've never met the fellow, but he's the captain of his national team, has made CAF (Confederation of African Football) team of the year 4 out of the last 5 years and has outlasted the guy (Trippier) who started over him in our CL final loss.

Perhaps, all of these feelings and emotions washing around are clouding people's perspective and objectivity?

Last edited:
Gives me an idea though....

A stats Pepsi-challenge would be a great bit of trf window fun. For each position considered needy, someone could run the stats for a number of players (inc. the one's we already have!) and blank out the names... We all pick out new squad members based upon the stats only then we could have a big reveal of what everyone's new squad looks like.
It would be a welcome change from seeing people pining for the Max Aarons and other young defenders on the worst teams in the PL...

RB is a more complicated position than one-dimensional stats like assists and tackles can tell a story about. I think Serge gets too far forward too often and leaves too much space behind him for attackers to run into, simple as that. He's also rash with his tackles and ends up giving away penalties. I wouldn't mind him being a second choice fullback to help break down lower tier teams parking the bus, but for the games against the bigger sides, we need someone more defensively alert and conservative, that can help defend a wing effectively in the context of a team defensive unit.

RB is a more complicated position than one-dimensional stats like assists and tackles can tell a story about. I think Serge gets too far forward too often and leaves too much space behind him for attackers to run into, simple as that. He's also rash with his tackles and ends up giving away penalties. I wouldn't mind him being a second choice fullback to help break down lower tier teams parking the bus, but for the games against the bigger sides, we need someone more defensively alert and conservative, that can help defend a wing effectively in the context of a team defensive unit.
I'm of the opinion that the £35-£40 Million required to upgrade on Serge could be used much more effectively in other positions in our squad.

I'm of the opinion that the £35-£40 Million required to upgrade on Serge could be used much more effectively in other positions in our squad.

That might be true, or it might not be. Fact is we need another RB no matter what.
Levy-inho already let Meunier slip through their fingers, and he seemed like the most affordable option that would have definitively solved that problem. It's absolutely maddening to me that we've 1) sold Trippier, 2) refused to give KWP a run of games, and 3) not gotten in any other RBs during that time. Club is fucking up over some basic team depth chart stuff right now and I believe our points total is suffering because of it.

he put in some very good performances at his previous clubs and he has done with us as well, he is just very inconsistent and has not removed that element that from his game.

in the way Walker used to be terrible one game and good the next but rapidly improved consistency under Poch, Aurier has yet to do that and unfortunately may not.

I don’t have issue with Aurier’s skills, speed or power, it’s his brain farts. However he has not been our worst player this season.
Auriers tendency to make mistakes is an issue for sure, but it is compounded massively by his lack of skill and woeful lack of pace.
Kyle Walker has a similar issue with making errors through sloppiness/lack of concentration, but he is able to get away with these by virtue of his speed and being a far superior footballer technically.
The pace and technically ability that Walker possesses is basically the sole trait that differentiates him from Aurier. Other than that they are incredibly similar footballers.

My only complaint after the United game was the few occasiona h
That might be true, or it might not be. Fact is we need another RB no matter what.
Levy-inho already let Meunier slip through their fingers, and he seemed like the most affordable option that would have definitively solved that problem. It's absolutely maddening to me that we've 1) sold Trippier, 2) refused to give KWP a run of games, and 3) not gotten in any other RBs during that time. Club is fucking up over some basic team depth chart stuff right now and I believe our points total is suffering because of it.

It's been equally about not utilising/developing/being decisive over members of the squad though.

Dav should be fully broken in as a starter by now.
KWP should be #2 or sold by now.
We should know more about Skipp by now.
It's pretty much been a dead first year for Sessengon.
Llorente should never have been left to get so rusty.
Davies should have been settled as bonafide #1 long before this season (with Rose being gone by now as a result).
Now we're rumoured to be buying Edwards back 2/3s of a season being given away for free.

Factor in all that and it's no wonder the squad seems so thin at times..

Last edited:
Auriers tendency to make mistakes is an issue for sure, but it is compounded massively by his lack of skill and woeful lack of pace.
Kyle Walker has a similar issue with making errors through sloppiness/lack of concentration, but he is able to get away with these by virtue of his speed and being a far superior footballer technically.
The pace and technically ability that Walker possesses is basically the sole trait that differentiates him from Aurier. Other than that they are incredibly similar footballers.

Serge is such an enigma.... Everybody seems to offer a somewhat differing critique of him.

Serge is such an enigma.... Everybody seems to offer a somewhat differing critique of him.
Seems so, but the seemingly perpetually pedaled notion that he’s “excellent going forward and has great power and pace” is just woefully incorrect IMHO, unless I’ve been watching a different player last few years....
I would argue these are the weakest parts of his game.

Agreed, with Foyth's injury status we need another RB. Mourinho loaned out KWP (who hasn't won the starting RB spot at Southampton).

The club's dealings are not Serge's responsibility.

I'd argue that:

1. new #6 DCM
2. new backup #9 (Kane)
3. new left-footed CB
4. new GK (Lloris replacement)

are much more pressing issues for Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom