Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham - (Tues 23rd June 20:15.)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. A good win over a shit side. Should of netted 4 or 5

2. G Lo is the real deal. Excellent foot skill, very fast, and good field awareness. Christian who?

3. Dire was solid again. We may just have something there. Wasn’t tested much though.

4. Sissoko is a beast. Once he’s between you and the ball it’s game over.

5. Serge had his moments, but still cannot capitalize. Makes good runs off the ball, but it usually ends up going the other way.

6. Moura was, well...... Moura. An unrealized threat.

Positives from first two games

1. 4 points - about par in golfing terms, but keeps us in the mix for Europa if not CL.

2. First win in ages - much needed confidence boost going into a 10 day break

3. Dier - looks like he can save us a few quid at centre back. Future captain. Mourinho's new John Terry? Just need him to sign a new contract now.

4. Counter attacks - signs we will be very dangerous on the counter/in transition. See Bergwijn and Kane's goals. With an improving defence, we are now looking more like a Mourinho team. We can expect better results away and against the better teams.

Negatives

1. Poor ball retention. A longstanding problem post-Dembele. When we need to keep it under pressure, eg second half against Utd, we struggle. Sissoko being one half of central midfield doesn't help. Lo Celso has the right qualities, but alongside him still need a DM who can defend and play a bit too.

2. Lack of creativity, especially against deep defenses. We miss the good version of Eriksen. I can see why we wanted Bruno who has similar qualities.

Lo Celso helps, but we kind of need two of him - one at 8, one as part of the front 4 - but since he can't play both at once, I'd play Ndombele in the advanced role, at least against weaker teams like West Ham.

3. Familiar fragilities at right full back & defensive midfield. Not much to say here, other than expect to see upgrades in both positions in the transfer window.

Last edited:
The PL need to be pretty careful as all in all this season has been terrible to watch
People have been saying the league is shit since about October. Yes, small sample size blah blah blah, but English teams have been getting hammered all year in Europe.

Liverpool got bounced by Atleti, who are struggling in La Liga. Chelsea are about to get bounced by Bayern. United barely qualified for the last 16 in Europa. Leipzig barely got out of second gear to beat us. City have been good but are getting punished by the football Gods and are probably going to lose in hilarious fashion.

The 18th placed team may pick up less than 30 points, which would be a record in the Premier League era. I think its probably an aberration similar to 2015/16, and the season Spurs have been having as certainly tainted things, but even pre-Poch it felt like Spurs were competing against better than this.

3. Familiar fragilities at right full back & defensive midfield. Not much to say here, other than expect to see upgrades in both positions in the transfer window.

Thought DM was a strong point. G Lo actually adds an offensive dimension to that line that we haven’t had for a LONG time. I’m surprised he plays there, and I’m not sure of his defensive capabilities, but not much we’re needed against the Spam. Sissoko was solid IMO.

There's a fair chance we won't ever play West Ham United again if they get relegated

Could easily go bust and rebrand as London United or similar

Would anyone really want that though?
Many Spurs fans might say they want to see West Ham, Woolwich and Chelsea to go belly up, but can you imagine how boring the game would be without the London rivalries?
Lets be honest it's already sterile and corporate since those cunts at sky got their hands on it.
It's a delicate balance between retaining the atmosphere and the rivalry but without the running street battles and I think its all gone far too prawn sandwichy and middle class now.

For those doubting I fucking hate West Ham, I was at the league cup game where they arrived midday and smashed up the pub with only a few locals in it, I think it was the Cockerel? but its long closed now.
Seven Sisters was like a warzone, a flare missed my brothers face by inches.
Running battles all around even at Waterloo and on the train into London, if memory serves they were in the Championship at the time so it was full on.
So I have every reason to hate that club.

But you've gotta think without those rivalries the football would be dead.

Sorry if that's an unpopular opinion on here, but its the truth. We live for those rivalries. And while obviously Woolwich and Chelsea are much higher on the pecking order than West Ham. And it is their cup final despite them claiming it isn't. Anyone that claims its just another game is lying.

Let's be honest with ourselves its a cut above the likes of Southampton and Brighton isn't it?

I would like to see them go down and they would no doubt come back at some point, as they've always been a bit of a yoyo club.

Would anyone really want that though?
Many Spurs fans might say they want to see West Ham, Woolwich and Chelsea to go belly up, but can you imagine how boring the game would be without the London rivalries?
Lets be honest it's already sterile and corporate since those cunts at sky got their hands on it.
It's a delicate balance between retaining the atmosphere and the rivalry but without the running street battles and I think its all gone far too prawn sandwichy and middle class now.

For those doubting I fucking hate West Ham, I was at the league cup game where they arrived midday and smashed up the pub with only a few locals in it, I think it was the Cockerel? but its long closed now.
Seven Sisters was like a warzone, a flare missed my brothers face by inches.
Running battles all around even at Waterloo and on the train into London, if memory serves they were in the Championship at the time so it was full on.
So I have every reason to hate that club.

But you've gotta think without those rivalries the football would be dead.

Sorry if that's an unpopular opinion on here, but its the truth. We live for those rivalries. And while obviously Woolwich and Chelsea are much higher on the pecking order than West Ham. And it is their cup final despite them claiming it isn't. Anyone that claims its just another game is lying.

Let's be honest with ourselves its a cut above the likes of Southampton and Brighton isn't it?

I would like to see them go down and they would no doubt come back at some point, as they've always been a bit of a yoyo club.
No I want them to be relegated but the other teams down there are all losing as well.

Back
Top Bottom