Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For gauging who "has a better final ball"™ you'd probably want to look at crosses, assists, and big chances created and extrapolate from there.
So Trippier then, yeah I agree.

It's weird that so many numbers are in Serge's favour in your opinion yet no one has ever seemed to have been interested in taking him off our hands, or the fact that you are about the only person who thinks he's actually good enough.

Contrary to general opinion, I actually think the strongest side of Auriers game is his defence. He's exceptional in the air, he's very difficult to get past one on one and he is actually pretty decent at snuffing out danger in a last ditch manner.

The problems arise when he goes forward. His crossing is poor to average, but more to the point, he appears to have lost an unbelievable amount of pace since his PSG days, so he can't beat an opposing full back to save his life and he hasn't got the pace to get back into position after a foray forward.

I really do think that if we played in a traditional Mourinho 4231, with a traditional right winger (Lucas/Bergwijn) where there wasn't so much responsibility on Aurier as an attacking outlet, he would look much more comfortable.

Strongest side of Aurier’s game is his defence???

Are you kidding?

The guy's got chronic brain flatulence and I'm not sure there's a cure.

I always worry when I see his name on the team sheet. I just think it's going to be a matter of time before he fucks up again.

It wouldn't surprise me if he causes the rest of the defence to worry as well.

Like your fitness regime you’re spot on mate!

Do you own a calculator? Hit the % button mate.

No one needs the numbers though to tell you Trippier's crossing was a fucking myth, I had a near two-year discussion in his and match thread to attest to this. Hardly any of his assists came from crosses yet he had 109 more of them than Aurier. He would cross relentlessly all game almost all of them not even close to finding a Spurs shirt.

It's weird that so many numbers are in Serge's favour in your opinion yet no one has ever seemed to have been interested in taking him off our hands, or the fact that you are about the only person who thinks he's actually good enough.

Aurier over Trippier for me, but I think a reasonable argument can be made for both. Trippier is 29, Serge 27. Trippier likely has some added value as an English player on the squad (filling a spot).

I have no idea if any other clubs have inquired about Serge, if he's available for the right/any price, what that price may be, or what the game plan is with Mourinho & Levy re: our RB situation.

Trippier was sold under Pochettino. Was that a Poch decision? A Levy decision? I have no idea. I'm not sure why Trippier had to go and why they couldn't co-exist.

But Serge is still here, he's the clear and obvious first choice RB.
He's top 5 in the league in his position in key individual stats (both defensively and offensively.)
We've sent his main RB challenger (a 23 year-old academy "lad" no less) off on loan.
Perhaps Foyth was intended to be the back-up RB?
Perhaps second choice RB is by committee (Tanganga, Foyth, Sissoko)?

There are only a handful of players in the world that are "un-upgradable". We could spend £30-£40 Million or whatever it would cost to upgrade on Serge. I think upgrading on a 33 year-old GK and an actual #6 are much more pressing defensive issues for Spurs.

Anecdotally, the color commentator yesterday on NBC (USA coverage) was ex-West Ham player Matt Holland. He was gushing about Serge all match and Serge was his MOTM.

He may be top 5 statistically but he is bottom 5 EPL RB's by any common sense ranking.

RB or DM are the two most important spots we need to upgrade. Not sure which is more important but considering we don;t have anyone on the roster that can fill either spot they both are spots we desperately need to fill for next season.

No. I’m not saying it’s good. I’m just saying it’s the best part of his game.
He’s absolutely appalling going forward.

I agree

He certainly looks the part
Quick and athletic but it’s not enough as all too often there’s no end result

Against Utd Harry put him clean through with all the time in the world to either shoot or put a good cross in and he totally fucked up

Defensively I don’t rate him either
Always likely to give a free kick away and I have kittens when he goes to challenge anyone in our area

First player out of the door for me and then Sissoko won’t have to hold his hand

I agree

He certainly looks the part
Quick and athletic but it’s not enough as all too often there’s no end result

Against Utd Harry put him clean through with all the time in the world to either shoot or put a good cross in and he totally fucked up

Defensively I don’t rate him either
Always likely to give a free kick away and I have kittens when he goes to challenge anyone in our area

First player out of the door for me and then Sissoko won’t have to hold his hand
Yep. He’s so slow dribbling with the ball, his crossing is absolute shit most of the time (could have had 2 or 3 assists the other night if it was any way decent), and he can’t beat a man on the outside to save his shit.

Defensively he is dodgey for sure, but there are some strong aspects to that side of his game, such as how strong he is in the air, and how difficult he can be to get past one on one.

Overall he will need to be replaced eventually for sure, but for now we have bigger fish to fry I would say.

For me personally I would rather have our wingers and attack-minded CMs doing the attacking. Fullbacks for me ought to be involved in overlapping runs only when the opposition winger is stuck back helping out the defense and not posing a threat in a counterattacking position. Otherwise I think they are best employed holding formation with the CBs and CDM, maintaining a high line, winning possession of the ball and recycling it back to the CMs and attackers to attack with.

It seems very tactically naive to judge the effectiveness of a fullback on how effective their attacking and crossing is. Perhaps Aurier is a "good attacking FB" but I'd much rather have someone like a Corluka keeping things under control on their wing, helping us mitigate the risk of counter-attacks, and recycling possession back to our best attackers.

Yep. He’s so slow dribbling with the ball, his crossing is absolute shit most of the time (could have had 2 or 3 assists the other night if it was any way decent), and he can’t beat a man on the outside to save his shit.

Defensively he is dodgey for sure, but there are some strong aspects to that side of his game, such as how strong he is in the air, and how difficult he can be to get past one on one.

Overall he will need to be replaced eventually for sure, but for now we have bigger fish to fry I would say.

Jose has lots of work to do for sure but at least we helped the Pikeys find their correct level!!

He may be top 5 statistically but he is bottom 5 EPL RB's by any common sense ranking.

RB or DM are the two most important spots we need to upgrade. Not sure which is more important but considering we don;t have anyone on the roster that can fill either spot they both are spots we desperately need to fill for next season.

Calling him bottom 5 EPL is a bit OTT.

You are right he likely isn't that high considering many teams probably have multiple RBs better than him but I figured saying bottom 5 would get the point across of how truly awful he is.

I can see you're extremely fond of hyperbole.....

Welcome to the forum BTW.

I can see you're extremely fond of hyperbole.....

Welcome to the forum BTW.

First, thank you for the welcome. It seems like a great place and great to talk football with Spurs fans rather than EPL fans and the garbage that comes with that.

I don't think it is hyperbole at all, I truly think Aurier is that bad and don't think that it is a wild opinion in any way. RB is a definite need to upgrade for us.

First, thank you for the welcome. It seems like a great place and great to talk football with Spurs fans rather than EPL fans and the garbage that comes with that.

I don't think it is hyperbole at all, I truly think Aurier is that bad and don't think that it is a wild opinion in any way. RB is a definite need to upgrade for us.

Also a warm welcome

Good luck 😉

Against MU he got dispoccessed leading to a dangerous situation towards the end of the match. The attacking RB role is a very demanding position and I think he makes mistakes when he is tiring. It happened again against WH and he should of been replaced immediately. Why Jose did not see this I do not know but when trying to hold a lead Toby at RB in the later period of the game is a better option.

Do you own a calculator? Hit the % button mate.

No one needs the numbers though to tell you Trippier's crossing was a fucking myth, I had a near two-year discussion in his and match thread to attest to this. Hardly any of his assists came from crosses yet he had 109 more of them than Aurier. He would cross relentlessly all game almost all of them not even close to finding a Spurs shirt.

It has occurred to me that there are many people on this planet that don't understand maths. Looking at statistics would be boring, confusing or frustrating for said people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom