Kim Min-Jae

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

23 y.o. CB for £9-13m? Seems to good to be true - that's punt territory.

Exactly. Even if he is crap we will get that money back. However I think he has the ability to do well and it's fantastic that Sonny is at the club already which will help him to feel comfortable and adapt quicker

Never seen him but for some reason I am all in favour of this.

Ludicrous concept. How can you be up for a player that you have never seen exactly?

We appear to be going somewhat exotic since the arrival of Sonny.... why not off-load Mourinho and let Son instead player manage the club rather than otherwise have him have so much influence- after all if you’ve never seen the player play, it’s more than obvious that you are going purely on ethnicity is it not?

Got to be a fair question?

Exactly. Even if he is crap we will get that money back. However I think he has the ability to do well and it's fantastic that Sonny is at the club already which will help him to feel comfortable and adapt quicker

Yeah, even if things don’t work out, we could probably sell him for at least half... so the actual risk is less than the full 10-15 million.

Seems to have the physical tools to be a quality CB, so let Jose and the staff train him up proper and see what they can make him into.

From the informations we got, the young international Kim Min-Jae is a quick and physical CB that plays on the right. People say we need a left-footed CB to replace Jan. I'm beginning to disagree with that. We play with a back four that in possession turns into a back three. Davies turns into a LCB, he is the left-footed playing from the back, as he also offers external protection to the defender then playing centrally: Eric Dier. On the right, Sanchez is the quick and physical defender, that provides protection for Aurier, the one to push forward. I don't know if we are going to improve the RB position or not, but that's how Jose organizes his defence. What we need, especially since Juan Foyth is leaving, is a CB to provide competition for Sanchez on the right. A quick and physical defender - Toby, for me, fights with Dier for the other spot. Kim Min-Jae could be just that.

Last edited:
Regarding this player, I have no idea how good he is. The fact that he plays in China suggests he’s a gamble.

What I am happy about however is that we’ve got some kind of a connection going with Korean players.

Ever since we had Villa and Ardiles and Poch, we’ve had a reputation as a place where Argentinian players could come and prosper. We have Lamela, Lo Celso, Foyth and Gazzaniga and I am guessing those players didn’t have any worries about fans warming up to them because we’ve had our Argentinian favorites before.

And that’s a good thing as, I hope, we are favoured when it comes to Argentinian talents choosing which European clubs to come to.

It would be great if Korean players thought the same about us, we had Lee and Son who had decent careers with us, and it would be benificial for us if we are thought of as a good place for Korean players to come if they are good enough to play in Europe.

From last month (sorry if you all knew about this, I had no idea):

"South Korean international defender Kim Min-jae has found himself the target of online fury after comments he made about his teammates to a television channel back home were translated into Chinese and trended on social media. Comments about his central defensive partner (and former striker) Yu Dabao and full-back Wang Gang, both China internationals, have caused outrage online and become a top topic on online portal Sina Sports. “My partner is a national player of the Chinese national team, but he is indeed a striker. Although he is no longer the main force of the national team, but it still feels a bit weird. He actually doesn’t know how to defend”. Kim also said he has “no chance to attack” because of having to cover for Wang. “I still have to make up for the full-back, and I have no time to attack”... While noting that his relationship with the coach Bruno Genesio is “more general. I don’t even know his full name.”

From last month (sorry if you all knew about this, I had no idea):

"South Korean international defender Kim Min-jae has found himself the target of online fury after comments he made about his teammates to a television channel back home were translated into Chinese and trended on social media. Comments about his central defensive partner (and former striker) Yu Dabao and full-back Wang Gang, both China internationals, have caused outrage online and become a top topic on online portal Sina Sports. “My partner is a national player of the Chinese national team, but he is indeed a striker. Although he is no longer the main force of the national team, but it still feels a bit weird. He actually doesn’t know how to defend”. Kim also said he has “no chance to attack” because of having to cover for Wang. “I still have to make up for the full-back, and I have no time to attack”... While noting that his relationship with the coach Bruno Genesio is “more general. I don’t even know his full name.”

Full back Wang Gang!

From the informations we got, the young international Kim Min-Jae is a quick and physical CB that plays on the right. People say we need a left-footed CB to replace Jan. I'm beginning to disagree with that. We play with a back four that in possession turns into a back three. Davies turns into a LCB, he is the left-footed playing from the back, as he also offers external protection to the defender then playing centrally: Eric Dier. On the right, Sanchez is the quick and physical defender, that provides protection for Aurier, the one to push forward. I don't know if we are going to improve the RB position or not, but that's how Jose organizes his defence. What we need, especially since Juan Foyth is leaving, is a CB to provide competition for Sanchez on the right. A quick and physical defender - Toby, for me, fights with Dier for the other spot. Kim Min-Jae could be just that.
I didn’t even think about it before your post, him being left footed makes this transfer worthwhile. He’d be a direct replacement for Jan, and I would be expecting KIM to play a squad role as Jan has this season. If he’s good enough, he’ll continue to move up the pecking order.

For 10-15m, it’s worth the gamble. Also, maybe I’m just overvaluing it a bit, but ‘Asian International with PL experience’ seems like a good selling point. Unless he’s absolutely dreadful I think we at the very least, make the transfer fee money back.

I didn’t even think about it before your post, him being left footed makes this transfer worthwhile. He’d be a direct replacement for Jan, and I would be expecting KIM to play a squad role as Jan has this season. If he’s good enough, he’ll continue to move up the pecking order.

For 10-15m, it’s worth the gamble. Also, maybe I’m just overvaluing it a bit, but ‘Asian International with PL experience’ seems like a good selling point. Unless he’s absolutely dreadful I think we at the very least, make the transfer fee money back.

Where do you get Kim being left footed? Everywhere I have seen says he plays on right.

Fixed it for you.

Someone must have compiled a dossier on both players and presented it to management (you could call them scouts, personally I think it was some random bloke from admin). Why wasn't there a big warning sign on the front of Aurier's file - "Proceed with caution, he's crap!" :mourbringit:

Every Korean player that has come to the Premier League works their socks off, I should think he would get along with Jose.

Lived in Korea. Cultural pride, saving face, and the mandated service to country are huge factors in shaping the people's mentality.

This is partially why they have done so well with COVID and us jackass's in the US can't wear masks.

Someone must have compiled a dossier on both players and presented it to management (you could call them scouts, personally I think it was some random bloke from admin). Why wasn't there a big warning sign on the front of Aurier's file - "Proceed with caution, he's crap!" :mourbringit:

That process you describe doesn't sound like choosing him over Pereira to me. Considering Pereira was the cheaper option it's quite obvious who made the final decision..... Was the logic that Serge came from a better team and therefore had better experience? Maybe....

Where do you get Kim being left footed? Everywhere I have seen says he plays on right.

He is right footed on paper but both footed, you see him use left foot like how sonny uses his left foot. For this reason he plays left-centre back often when needed for his club and the national team. It's very common for Korean players to use both foot. Martin Jol once called Lee young-pyo "the best left-back in Holland" he was right footed on paper but played a left back because he was 2 footed .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom