Lessons to be learnt from Liverpool winning the title?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We did have a back striker - it’s called Son. And let’s not warp the stats, we lost the fewest games that season and had the second highest win count
Love this argument...NOW Sonny is a backup striker. In a few months he won't be and then a few later he will be, then won't, then will. Let me help you out, he is not a striker. He cannot hold the ballup for beans. He has an iffy first touch and his only movement from that position is to try and get in behind which is easier to defend with him as the most advanced player and no real striker to worry the CBs.

I didn't throw out 'warped stats' I just mentioned draws. And the season you are talking about was the WHL season. What about the Leicester year? Both years had significant dropped points early due to draws.

You arguing that we didn't need players is absolutely killing the credibility of your argument. You are attempting to massage the facts to fit your anti-Poch agenda. You don't like Poch, fine. But we still needed players and always did during his time. We had 1 'creative' player for 5 seasons FFS. And no one in our attack had competition...something even Danny Rose spoke about. We needed players and we still do. To not even see it or admit it now is lunacy.

Love this argument...NOW Sonny is a backup striker. In a few months he won't be and then a few later he will be, then won't, then will. Let me help you out, he is not a striker. He cannot hold the ballup for beans. He has an iffy first touch and his only movement from that position is to try and get in behind which is easier to defend with him as the most advanced player and no real striker to worry the CBs.

I didn't throw out 'warped stats' I just mentioned draws. And the season you are talking about was the WHL season. What about the Leicester year? Both years had significant dropped points early due to draws.

You arguing that we didn't need players is absolutely killing the credibility of your argument. You are attempting to massage the facts to fit your anti-Poch agenda. You don't like Poch, fine. But we still needed players and always did during his time. We had 1 'creative' player for 5 seasons FFS. And no one in our attack had competition...something even Danny Rose spoke about. We needed players and we still do. To not even see it or admit it now is lunacy.

Son can play the forward role as it has been shown in the past and look at form in those seasons that he did. We didn’t miss Kane. I would take Son over the majority of the top 6s back up options any day.

Every team could improve their squad - no one is saying otherwise but the suggestion is that you can only win a title with a top level one. Fine explain to me how Leicester managed to win the league with theirs? Tell me how Liverpool have just won the title with Origi, Shaquri, Llana and Minamo as there back up options? Chelsea won the title in that season with Batshuyi as there back striker who has 8 goals in 48 games to his name.

Again how is this possible for others but not for us - I’m waiting for an answer on this ?

Leicester didn’t even have a better team than us that season let alone a squad and they finished 12 points ahead of us. Chelsea had David Luis and Victor Moses start most of their games when they beat us to the title the following.

What you are essentially saying is that not only do we need a better team that the league but also need a better squad than all of the others as well. Why? I can tell you that - because Pochettinho isn’t good enough to get a team over the line. He had one the best teams in the league, one of the best in the clubs history and this is our trophy haul during that period;

League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
CL 0
UEFA Cup 0

We were the only top 6 side not to win anything during his time when inferior Woolwich and United sides won multiple trophies.

You may call that an anti Poch agenda I call it reality and I have the facts to back this up. You don’t.

I can’t believe some are still peddling this fantasy about the man - I shouldnt have to be exposed to this continued stupidity and delusion from some in our supporter base.

Son can play the forward role as it has been shown in the past and look at form in those seasons that he did. We didn’t miss Kane. I would take Son over the majority of the top 6s back up options any day.

Every team could improve their squad - no one is saying otherwise but the suggestion is that you can only win a title with a top level one. Fine explain to me how Leicester managed to win the league with theirs? Tell me how Liverpool have just won the title with Origi, Shaquri, Llana and Minamo as there back up options? Chelsea won the title in that season with Batshuyi as there back striker who has 8 goals in 48 games to his name.

Again how is this possible for others but not for us - I’m waiting for an answer on this ?

Leicester didn’t even have a better team than us that season let alone a squad and they finished 12 points ahead of us. Chelsea had David Luis and Victor Moses start most of their games when they beat us to the title the following.

What you are essentially saying is that not only do we need a better team that the league but also need a better squad than all of the others as well. Why? I can tell you that - because Pochettinho isn’t good enough to get a team over the line. He had one the best teams in the league, one of the best in the clubs history and this is our trophy haul during that period;

League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
CL 0
UEFA Cup 0

We were the only top 6 side not to win anything during his time when inferior Woolwich and United sides won multiple trophies.

You may call that an anti Poch agenda I call it reality and I have the facts to back this up. You don’t.

I can’t believe some are still peddling this fantasy about the man - I shouldnt have to be exposed to this continued stupidity and delusion from some in our supporter base.
The point in question was whether or not we needed players. The answer is yes and always has been. You are deflecting in a vain attempt not to concede the obvious. I've got no interest in your questions that are not in reference to this very point. The point about Poch-agenda was tangential as to why you won't concede the point in question and not a diversion I am interested in taking. I don't give two shits what you or anyone else thinks of him and I sure as fuck have no interest in attemtping to change your mind. But in a fucking thread about learning lessons from Liverpool's success I would hope folks would talk real talk so dialogue could be elevated beyond the typical nonsense that drags this and most other boards down to the drooling level.

We ain’t and not going to be anytime soon on the same level as Liverpool the name and reputation alone will give them an advantage over us, we go head to head with them on a transfer target and they will win and that alone gives them a huge advantage over us irrespective if we try and copy the template.

The only lesson I learned with those scouse cunts beating us in the Champions league final and now winning the league is that there is no justice and no god.

Also we clearly need to improve our fullbacks and get a world class DM and CB as spines are important and the modern game is all about fullbacks who can produce quality.

We seemed to understand this formula at one point but then strangely forgot it.

Liverpool winning the league & champions league last season how many of their team will still be in a liverpool shirt come the start of next season? If we’d have won both of the aforementioned trophies we had our chance who much of our squad would still be intact? Could be wrong but our squad would be decimated and we’d h@ve to start again rather than strengthen and sustain and do it properly. Klopp and his philosophy will be add strength and sustain but he’s got a squad that are 28,29 & 30 year olds some are they will have to invest heavily to get the same quality. Could you see us trying to replace Kane.

Does anyone think/believe that Liverpool winning the title (and the ridiculous notion that anything can be learnt from it) will even register on ENIC's radar? Or will the search for the ultimate glory that is a perfect balance sheet just go inexorably onwards?

The lesson to be taken from it is that if you are good enough and believe enough- you can win it. I don’t think Tottenham genuinely believed it to be doable since the nearly season when Everton won it - 84 I think. Not since then has a Spurs side seriously believed!

League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
CL 0
UEFA Cup 0

You ignore the context of both Leicester and Chelsea having no European football when they won the League. Conte got a tremendous tune out of them For one year but we saw how it fell apart under a bigger schedule the next year (though they won the FA Cup beating our current GUARANTEED trophy winner)

Jurgen Klopp lost Europa league finals, League cup finals, CL finals and Finished 8th, 4th, 4th and he got backed.

You’re being obtuse over back up options. HM SON is not a bench player, he’s a starter who moves across to cover Kane.

Batshuyi, Origi, Shaquiri are miles clear of Janssen and N’Koudou/N’Jie.

if you think Levy gave pochettino enough backing to get the job done You’re insane.

Avoid Liverpool city centre for the next few weeks.
No offence mate but I’ve been to your fair city couple times and it was grim. Did the tour thing docklands etc bus tour and we went for a stroll the museum had the terracotta warriors on display all that was fine but we ended up outside a big hotel that had appeared in a tv series and outside were a bunch of junkie twats just making an arse of themselves and were quite intimidating and we walked back down to the waterfront and on the way down it wasn’t very pleasant.

No offence mate but I’ve been to your fair city couple times and it was grim. Did the tour thing docklands etc bus tour and we went for a stroll the museum had the terracotta warriors on display all that was fine but we ended up outside a big hotel that had appeared in a tv series and outside were a bunch of junkie twats just making an arse of themselves and were quite intimidating and we walked back down to the waterfront and on the way down it wasn’t very pleasant.

God mate you should have seen it in the 1970's, it was like Chernobyl!

God mate you should have seen it in the 1970's, it was like Chernobyl!
Same trip went into a paper shop another guy came in after me went to the counter and the bloke handed him something from under the counter? It was a copy of the Sun newspaper slipped it inside his jacket and left, is that the situation regarding the Sun paper all over Liverpool the city or Liverpool fc has it the same affect on Everton and their fans?

I
That was down to a match shy golden boy Kane replacing Moura. Not solely, but a different side from the semi.

By different side you mean much better side because replacing a crappy Moura with Kane made us a much better side.

Back
Top Bottom